Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Comments

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited March 27
    Didn't he just sign an extension?

Edit: Yes he did. Is it common to do this?
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Money trumps all.
  • Redhawk2019Redhawk2019 Summer Orientee
    Buyout is small for major school like Alabama. Extension really only gave Buffalo a little larger buyout payment they will be receiving.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    His extension raised his salary to over $800,000, by far the biggest in the Mac.  It also raised his buyout to $750,000.  However, Alabama offered him $2.4 million, so it was almost 3 times what Oates would have made at UB.  That would be difficult to turn down.  UB does get a nice payout on the buyout.
    I certainly don't blame him for not turning down that much money, but why are you signing an extension if you know you're going to be fielding offers?
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

I certainly don't blame him for not turning down that much money, but why are you signing an extension if you know you're going to be fielding offers?

The extension was mutually beneficial to Buffalo. They got a 750k buyout, which is multiples of what they would have otherwise received under the old agreement. No one is aggrieved here because he signed an extension a few weeks ago.
    Re6H5wkagcDICK
    yanksalex said:

Re6H5wk said:

The extension was mutually beneficial to Buffalo. They got a 750k buyout, which is multiples of what they would have otherwise received under the old agreement. No one is aggrieved here because he signed an extension a few weeks ago.
    Dumb question: who pays them that? Oates or Bama?
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Re6H5wk said:

Couple other points. The extension made Oats the highest paid MAC coach and its news would have gotten some pub and given schools in search of a new HC another target to possibly go after (At 'Bama, they spill at least 750K every year for some extra FB non-assistant assistant so the money for both the buyout and the salary is no big deal). Also Oats gets to a better climate and some decent grilled food. Have you ever had barbecue in January in Buffalo?.
    B)
    killgas20
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    Not surprising he left, but I sure didn’t expect it this soon. He must have thought, with so many seniors graduating, this was a window of opportunity he couldn’t pass up.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

yanksalex said:

Re6H5wk said:

Dumb question: who pays them that? Oates or Bama?
    Bama
    Re6H5wk
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    I believe about 10 years ago Geno Ford left Kent State for Bradley. I think he assuned Bradley would pay his Kent State buy out. They didnt. Geno didnt either. I believe Kent then sued Geno but I am not sure how it ended up
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    edited March 28
    The contract is with the coach not the new school so it's the coach who is ultimately responsible.  That doesn't mean they can't negotiate for the school to pay it for them.

Ford believed that Kent State giving him permission to interview with Bradley negated the buyout.  It did not and he lost in court owing $1.2 million.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/4511049-geno-ford-lawsuit-former-kent-state-coach-lawsuit-bradley-12-million

Redsea said:

I believe about 10 years ago Geno Ford left Kent State for Bradley. I think he assuned Bradley would pay his Kent State buy out. They didnt. Geno didnt either. I believe Kent then sued Geno but I am not sure how it ended up

Boy did his agent screw him.
    redhawk11
  • MazMaz Off-Campus Slummer
    2xHawk said:

The contract is with the coach not the new school so it's the coach who is ultimately responsible.  That doesn't mean they can't negotiate for the school to pay it for them.

Ford believed that Kent State giving him permission to interview with Bradley negated the buyout.  It did not and he lost in court owing $1.2 million.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/4511049-geno-ford-lawsuit-former-kent-state-coach-lawsuit-bradley-12-million

I want to know about Geno’s claim against his agent/lawyer for malpractice.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Seems more like nopractice than malpractice.
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Re6H5wk said:

Kudos to UB's AD (and to Oats).  These two clearly knew that it was more likely than not that Oats would be leaving.  This buyout was all about helping UB's basketball program.  Now there is more $$$ in the coffer.  Well played
    redhawk11
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    2xHawk said:

Kent State Univ. v. Ford, 26 N.E.3d 868, for those interested.

Kent State also has a somehow-still-pending lawsuit against Bradley for tortious interference with contract.  At one point, Bradley tried to get the judge disqualified because he had donated to Kent State (his wife was an alum).  
  • Miami_Oh_YeahMiami_Oh_Yeah Havighurstite
    edited March 28

Buyout is small for major school like Alabama. Extension really only gave Buffalo a little larger buyout payment they will be receiving.

Have we received Coach Haywood's $300,000 buyout money yet?  I believe it was supposed to come from him through Pitt.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    dave67 said:

Seems more like nopractice than malpractice.

We talkin bout practice?
  • FredFred Dodds God
    If you can get out of the MAC you do so, as quickly as possible.
    agc
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

Fred is correct....but the same rule applies to conference members. To cite five former MAC members: UC and Marshall were former full conference members while U Mass, Temple and UCF were affiliate members for football. It does appear that the MAC, for some schools, is like a holding pen until they develop a following, raise some money and/ or win enough to leave....or are solicited by another conference seeking geographic representation.
    There was a time, as i think about it, when Miami might have opted for that route....but those days are long gone and, until we can accomplish the list above, our best spot is in the MAC. I would not be surprised to see Buffalo and/ or Northern Illinois depart at some point. Both have some of the above factors plus a metro connection. But who knows how it will all play out with schools. Until things change, coaches will continue to use the MAC as a stepping stone to better jobs (higher pay). Solich remains an exception at OU...but his longevity is related to his age and the fact that he has enough money in the bank.

agc
  • JCook32JCook32 Summer Orientee
    Where are those schools going to go? Unless there's another run of major realignment, NIU's only P5 option is the B1G 10, where Northerwestern likely puts up a major fuss. Is CUSA that big of an upgrade from MAC? Buffalo could try moving to the ACC but what would they add that the conference doesn't have?

If we're talking jobs, then I think its absolutely correct. MAC is a stepping stone to a P5 rebuild and you take it as fast as you can. I think that's why the conference is so cyclical with who's really good (and then there's us).
    edited March 29
    CUSA doesn't payout what the MAC does anymore. They took a nosedive. The AAC is really the only other midmajor conference that is worth jumping to financially now. The MWC pays well but their foot print isn't exactly close to the Midwest.
    DICK
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Fred said:

Oates did turn down UNLV.