Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Hockey Coaching Search Thread

Comments

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Sources Say (who are these sources? Only Twitter knows I guess) that Bergeron has accepted our offer and will be announced as Miami’s new coach tomorrow.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

Sources Say (who are these sources? Only Twitter knows I guess) that Bergeron has accepted our offer and will be announced as Miami’s new coach tomorrow.

Here is the tweet: https://twitter.com/JeffCoxSports/status/1113964100181286912

This guy has had his pulse on the search the entire time, so I anticipate that we got our man (barring CB pulling a Whitford).
  • Redhawk2019Redhawk2019 Summer Orientee
    Guess now time to speculate on the assistants
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

I was about to say... I think this is way more important when it comes to recruiting. The HC typically spends so much time head down and doing admin work that recruiting is handled a lot more by assistants and connections in hockey. I actually hope Mannino stays after what he did with Larkin and on the recruiting trail. Bergeron has shown an ability to get the most out of the guys on the ice.
    Redhawk2019
    JiveHawk said:

I was about to say... I think this is way more important when it comes to recruiting. The HC typically spends so much time head down and doing admin work that recruiting is handled a lot more by assistants and connections in hockey. I actually hope Mannino stays after what he did with Larkin and on the recruiting trail. Bergeron has shown an ability to get the most out of the guys on the ice.
    I agree on Mannino. I don’t know enough about Beal but feel if Mannino goes we would be starting from scratch with recruiting.
  • adyonkaadyonka Wealthy Alum
    There’s a report on Twitter that the BG team has a meeting in the morning. https://twitter.com/BGSUHockeySite/status/1113967123070640131
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    Welcome home (unofficially), Coach.
  • BubbaKBubbaK Summer Orientee
    Can someone start a thread to organize a "Welcome Back Parade" for Berg?
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    adyonka said:

There’s a report on Twitter that the BG team has a meeting in the morning. https://twitter.com/BGSUHockeySite/status/1113967123070640131

From the BG message board

http://www.ay-ziggy-zoomba.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35626
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    I get a giggle from "Miami State".as Ziggy puts it.
  • DanRedhawkDanRedhawk Summer Orientee
    edited April 4
    https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2019/04/04_Miami-to-Hire-Bowling-Green.php

College Hockey News also reporting Bergeron to Miami. They expect Schutte to return with him - 'along with staff member Jimmy Spratt'...

Spratt is a former BG goalie who is currently their director of operations. Clearly one current assistant is out with Schutte's arrival. Is Spratt also coming as an assistant (leaving his own alma mater for a promotion) or will he be director of ops here at Miami? That's a key question and it will be interesting to see how that plays out...

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2019/04/04_Miami-to-Hire-Bowling-Green.php

College Hockey News also reporting Bergeron to Miami. They expect Schutte to return with him - 'along with staff member Jimmy Spratt'...

Spratt is a former BG goalie who is currently their director of operations. Clearly one current assistant is out with Schutte's arrival. Is Spratt also coming as an assistant (leaving his own alma mater for a promotion) or will he be director of ops here at Miami? That's a key question and it will be interesting to see how that plays out...

Hopefully Mannino
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    I have to imagine Spratt is taking a staff position and Mannino remains as lead assistant.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Mannino would be HUGE!
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum

Hopefully Mannino
    We have an uncanny ability to singularly focus on one candidate for jobs that should have multiple candidates.
    AORedHawk33
    MUHawk84 said:

Hopefully Mannino
    We have an uncanny ability to singularly focus on one candidate for jobs that should have multiple candidates.
    This is a bad take. Mannino has put together one of the best recruiting classes Miami has had while coaching Larkin to his best season in spite of some questionable play in front of him. Mannino tried out, succeeded, keeping him keeps the recruiting momentum, anyone else would set the program back 3 years.
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    JiveHawk said:

MUHawk84 said:

Hopefully Mannino
    This is a bad take. Mannino has put together one of the best recruiting classes Miami has had while coaching Larkin to his best season in spite of some questionable play in front of him. Mannino tried out, succeeded, keeping him keeps the recruiting momentum, anyone else would set the program back 3 years.
    The article stated that Miami really didn't reach out past Bergeron. Having your guy in mind, is fine, but it would have benefitted Miami to see who else may have fitted as well, be that Mannino or whomever else.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    MUHawk84 said:

JiveHawk said:

MUHawk84 said:

Hopefully Mannino
    The article stated that Miami really didn't reach out past Bergeron. Having your guy in mind, is fine, but it would have benefitted Miami to see who else may have fitted as well, be that Mannino or whomever else.
    Perhaps we have spent the last two months doing that. I actually prefer this method over the lets talk to 20 coaches 10 ADs etc etc
    edited April 5
    MUHawk84 said:

JiveHawk said:

MUHawk84 said:

Hopefully Mannino
    This isn't like Sayler just decided to fire a coach who's been here 20 years. I'm sure he had a list. If you get the guy at the top of your list, why interview 19 other coaches just to be Brad Bates and say, "we talked to 37 coaches, 472 University presidents, 8 senators, 90 CEOs, and 17 astronauts to bring you Treadwell."
    thechuck_2112
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Everyone knew Bergeron was coming. This has been a great thread, including the insightful comments on the relative merits and salary issues of hockey v FB and BB, and I mean that sincerely, but this thread could have been 1 post. BERGERON IS COMING!  ;D  He seems like a good fit, past alum and all. I will be curious to see his contract. As will many others. 
    redhawk11
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    hope Mannino stays . Larkin was a bright spot on last yrs team + he recruits well. 

Hope  Miami doesn't lose recruits.
    JiveHawk
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    BG is owed a 150K buyout from Bergeron. 
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    I see what muhawk is saying, but what alleviate that concern? I dont think I need to hear that the school reached out to Hakstol and was turned down.
  • BubbaKBubbaK Summer Orientee
    rexjack53 said:

hope Mannino stays . Larkin was a bright spot on last yrs team + he recruits well. 

Hope  Miami doesn't lose recruits.
    Hope Mannino stays as well.   That being said, I would suspect that Bergeron would clean up the list of commits.   Blasi was making an effort to save his job, and it is not unimaginable that he wanted to show recruitment of high value players to show the AD something.  That said there are 9 players who committed since January 1st (Including a 15 year old).   Does Bergeron think these are the right players to fit his scheme?
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    It is unique to me that in almost all soorts the BG and Miami job would be viewed similarly but in hockey we can steal their coach? I guess it helps that he is an alum too
  • MazMaz Off-Campus Slummer
    Redsea said:

It is unique to me that in almost all soorts the BG and Miami job would be viewed similarly but in hockey we can steal their coach? I guess it helps that he is an alum too

More than doubling his salary helps a bit, too.