Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019 Cincinnati Reds thread

Comments

• The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    The_Rock said:

DICK said:

Fantasy baseball draft tonight, I got Eugenio Suarez and Nick Senzel!  Plus Francisco Lindor of the Indians.  I will have some guys to watch when following my teams.

Anyone got any sleepers for this moron? I drafted Scooter in the 7th forgetting that he was out for 3 months and somehow forgot to draft a catcher (although that's probably the most worthless fantasy position).

I'm banking on Alex Reyes to be the stud that I think he will be.

Have you already drafted?  Reading spring reports, the rookie out of San Diego, Paddack, absolutely destroyed spring training and is going to be a stud.  Also, Aaron Sanchez supposedly looks like the Cy Young candidate of the past.  Those are two guys who may be available.  
    I just added Urias and Rodon off of the wire. Paddack was gone. Sanchez burnt me last year and is on my Shit List 4 Life.
  • twstws Off-Campus Slummer
    Re6H5wk said:

tws said:

Reporter said don't call Senzel "injury-prone"

I call Senzel "injury-prone"! 

He said that, then went on to list all of his many injuries. *shrugs*
    Was not referring to Daugherty.  Was on Fansided.
    Re6H5wk
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    Tomorrow’s lineup:

Winker 7
    Votto 3
    Puig 9
    Suarez 5
    Schebler 8
    Peraza 4
    Barnhart 2
    Iglesias 6
    Castillo RHP
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited March 27
    TruckCrew said:

Tomorrow’s lineup:

Winker 7
    Votto 3
    Puig 9
    Suarez 5
    Schebler 8
    Peraza 4
    Barnhart 2
    Iglesias 6
    Castillo RHP

As an Indians fan, I'd kill for that lineup.
    Re6H5wk said:

TruckCrew said:

Tomorrow’s lineup:

Winker 7
    Votto 3
    Puig 9
    Suarez 5
    Schebler 8
    Peraza 4
    Barnhart 2
    Iglesias 6
    Castillo RHP

As an Indians fan, I'd kill for that lineup.
    Some real potential for runs.
    Re6H5wk
    Don't know if I'm more excited about the Dietrich pinch hit, tie breaking HR, the Lorenzen pinch run and stay in to play center, or the win!

Ah, heck, it's the win! 
    Mowch
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Wire to wire!!!
    ScalperDICKTruckCrew
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    Damn it!

Hunter Greene to undergo Tommy John surgery

https://sports.yahoo.com/hunter-greene-undergo-tommy-john-015405616.html
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Why didn't he do it last year??
  • The_RockThe_Rock Havighurstite
    DICK said:

Why didn't he do it last year??

The trend of last year was platelet rich plasma injections.  A few pitchers had avoided the DL/Tommy John by doing PRP instead, so they wanted to see if that could work for Greene and possibly avoid an elbow scar, and lower his recovery time.  Alas, it was a gamble that didn't pay off, and he will most likely miss a lot of the next two seasons.  

As an aside, I understand that Greene is special, and a great guy to go along with that.  And sometimes risk is worth the reward.  But taking a high school pitcher is some special kind of risk.  If I were running a team, I would really really really hesitate with doing it.  Later rounds, international signings, I would load up on those guys, but a top ten pick, above slot payment.  I think this is why a lot of people are so critical of Greene.  
    edited April 2
    I get that Travis Shaw can hit the ball, but does anyone have an explanation for why the Reds didnt walk Braun last night with 2 outs and Yelich on 2nd in the 9th?
  • I'll let TC opine as well but if I am a Reds fan I would expect your best reliever to get a right handed hitter out. 

And yes Shaw has had good success at GABP as well.  He's actually from Ohio, son of former Red Jeff Shaw. 

On a personal note happy to see Puig make the last out.  I predict Reds fans will grow tired of his act by July if not sooner.

Miserable conditions for a game.  
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    PLAY THE RIGHT WAY intensifies
    My take is you don't walk Braun in that situation because you take the platoon advantage away from Iglesias. 
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum

I'll let TC opine as well but if I am a Reds fan I would expect your best reliever to get a right handed hitter out. 

And yes Shaw has had good success at GABP as well.  He's actually from Ohio, son of former Red Jeff Shaw. 

On a personal note happy to see Puig make the last out.  I predict Reds fans will grow tired of his act by July if not sooner.

Miserable conditions for a game.  
    Hm. I hope Puig is doing ridiculous bat flips all summer long.
  • Sorry should have clarified that I was referring to all of the stuff that grated on his teammates and the front office as well as opposing fans.  I believe Bill Pashke wrote a piece on this.  

Anyway, carry on.  

Looking forward to Game 2 tonight. 
    Plashcke spent a column literally arguing that Puig would get Dodgers fans killed.  Everyone in Los Angeles knows not to take seriously what he has to say about Puig, because it's weirdly personal for him.
  • The_RockThe_Rock Havighurstite
    "As for Puig, the story probably won't change many of the two disparate opinions of him. He is painted as both a childlike refugee simply trying to adjust to a new world, and a cold-blooded, self-involved star with little respect for anything that does not make him shine."

Story detailing his arduous journey to MLB, as a hit piece by Plaschcke.  

Bryce Harper did a ridiculous bat flip tonight and no one but Nats fans cares

Bryce Harper did a ridiculous bat flip tonight and no one but Nats fans cares

It was real and it was spectacular.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    I used to be annoyed by bat flips, but now I'm like screw it. You hit a ball that hard you deserve it, and it gets people talking about baseball.
    AORedHawk33TruckCrewredhawk11DICK
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Hey the Reds were in first place for a couple of days!! Now back to reality. Seriously though, NL Central will be a fun division but Brewers probably class of the division and the rest of the teams will be fighting for a wild card berth. I'm ok with that as a lifetime Reds fan. 
    ChrisW1980
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

I used to be annoyed by bat flips, but now I'm like screw it. You hit a ball that hard you deserve it, and it gets people talking about baseball.

It's hard to hit a homer. I'd be fine if a pitcher hollers after striking a guy out on some filthy cutter or curve. Have some fun out there
    TruckCrewRe6H5wkDICK
    Bluesman said:

Hey the Reds were in first place for a couple of days!! Now back to reality. Seriously though, NL Central will be a fun division but Brewers probably class of the division and the rest of the teams will be fighting for a wild card berth. I'm ok with that as a lifetime Reds fan. 

Hey you found the Reds thread! Hope to see more of you here. 
    It was nice to see Bob Steve pitch well last night. Hoping he turns a corner this year and becomes a dependable arm out of the bullpen.
    DICK
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    elpalito said:

Re6H5wk said:

It's hard to hit a homer. I'd be fine if a pitcher hollers after striking a guy out on some filthy cutter or curve. Have some fun out there
    As long as players aren't directing their emotions at the opponent, they should do whatever they want without fear of retaliation.

MowchDICK
  • Great drama today befitting an exciting series.  All three games could have gone either way. 

It looks like your young pitching is starting to come together which is a great sign.

Go beat up on the rest of the division!! 
    ChrisW1980
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Wooooooooooooo!  Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
    AORedHawk33ChrisW1980
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Too early to start the 2020 Reds thread?
  • Yager07KumlerYager07Kumler Senior Barfly
    Fire David Bell!

Seriously though, the offense is putrid. Can’t be this bad all year, right? Pitching is great. Should have 2-3 losses. Not 1-6.