Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Hockey Coaching Search Thread

Comments

• RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Maz said:

Redsea said:

It is unique to me that in almost all soorts the BG and Miami job would be viewed similarly but in hockey we can steal their coach? I guess it helps that he is an alum too

More than doubling his salary helps a bit, too.
    Thats the part that is hard to believe.
    19goSkinsDICK
  • Swoop2005Swoop2005 Summer Orientee
    I am happy that we got our guy and we can move forward. I am 100% behind bergs. That being said, many here were quick to say that Rico shouldn’t get a pass for poor results just because he was a Miami guy and had a great run. How can we then zero in...seemingly exclusively...on another coach who probably was more attractive because of his Miami ties? Not poo pooing on what he did at BG...but if you take out his Miami ties...is this the best guy for the job?
    elpalito
  • DanRedhawkDanRedhawk Summer Orientee
    edited April 5
    Bergeron is clearly the guy they wanted from the jump - debate that as you will - meaning he should get to say and do as he wishes regarding his assistant coaches and the recruiting classes. 

First of all, I wouldn't count much on next year's recruiting class offering any sort of immediate turn around as currently constituted. The bulk of the 'top' commits are 2-3 years or perhaps even further down the road. The idea that losing Mannino would set the program back year's just doesn't hold water. This is already a 3+ year rebuild...

There are recruits available RIGHT NOW that could help the program as soon as next year. Including, but not limited to...

• Brendan Budy (former DU Fr.): 10-18--28, 27 GP @ Tri-Cities (USHL) after leaving DU at the semester break. 
    • Matias Maccelli: 27-40--67, 57 GP @ Dubuque (USHL)
    • Marcus Kallionkieli (just turned 18): 27-23--50, 56 GP @ Sioux City (USHL) 
    • Ethan Scardina (18): 26-30--56, 54 GP @ Nanaimo (BCHL)
    • Levi Glasman: 24-39--63, 58 GP @ Trail/Powell River (BCHL) (b2b 20-goal seasons)

Yes, college hockey has an early recruiting cycle, but there are always late blooming recruits or young recruits you can rush as true freshman available to offer immediate fixes for recruiting classes. The idea that you can only grab talent three years in advance is disingenuous... 

The blueprint for a quick rebuild is the University of Massachusetts under Greg Carvel. What many might not know is that the players leading the turnaround, including Cale Makar, John Leonard and Mario Ferraro all committed to the previous coaching staff. Carvel cleaned house but made keeping these recruits a priority and he did so. Mannino is not necessarily the only answer to keeping the talented young commitments. Carvel also cut a number of players after his first season, and added immediate talent like the names listed above. He also was able to recruit future talent - and it was the combination of ALL three of those actions that has UMass where they are currently. In the Frozen Four... 

Bergeron will make the decision for the staff based on what he is comfortable with and what he thinks is best. If that includes Mannino than that is great - I'd be all for that. If it doesn't than he deserves the benefit of the doubt and the idea that he cannot institute a fast turn around while losing Mannino is simply unfounded. When you zero in on a candidate so quickly and directly, you have to let that candidate do his job the way he sees fit. Even if it doesn't turn out the way we all envisioned it... 
    There is also graduate transfer Westin Michaud who is leaving CC - but reportedly looking to stay in the NCHC. Michaud scored 13 goals last season and 24 in the past two years for the Tigers... 

• adyonkaadyonka Wealthy Alum
    Report of a six year, $305K plus bonuses contract. https://twitter.com/JordanStrack/status/1114193866675118080
  • BubbaKBubbaK Summer Orientee
    There is plenty of talent out there.  Coach Bergeron (feels good to say that) needs to figure out what kind of team he wants and recruit accordingly.    You can get the top 12 forwards in the country, but what are you going to do if they all shoot lefty!
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    edited April 5
    JiveHawk said:

MUHawk84 said:

JiveHawk said:

MUHawk84 said:

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2019/04/04_Miami-to-Hire-Bowling-Green.php

College Hockey News also reporting Bergeron to Miami. They expect Schutte to return with him - 'along with staff member Jimmy Spratt'...

Spratt is a former BG goalie who is currently their director of operations. Clearly one current assistant is out with Schutte's arrival. Is Spratt also coming as an assistant (leaving his own alma mater for a promotion) or will he be director of ops here at Miami? That's a key question and it will be interesting to see how that plays out...

Hopefully Mannino
    We have an uncanny ability to singularly focus on one candidate for jobs that should have multiple candidates.
    This is a bad take. Mannino has put together one of the best recruiting classes Miami has had while coaching Larkin to his best season in spite of some questionable play in front of him. Mannino tried out, succeeded, keeping him keeps the recruiting momentum, anyone else would set the program back 3 years.
    The article stated that Miami really didn't reach out past Bergeron. Having your guy in mind, is fine, but it would have benefitted Miami to see who else may have fitted as well, be that Mannino or whomever else.
    This isn't like Sayler just decided to fire a coach who's been here 20 years. I'm sure he had a list. If you get the guy at the top of your list, why interview 19 other coaches just to be Brad Bates and say, "we talked to 37 coaches, 472 University presidents, 8 senators, 90 CEOs, and 17 astronauts to bring you Treadwell."
    When they reworked Blasi's contract last year I beleive the decision to fire was pretty much made. And when then brought in Treadwell many, if not most, thought it a good hire. 

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    If we want to have a discussion about how the hockey and men's basketball programs are funded/treated, can we please do it in another thread? I think this thread should stay focused on news relating to the new coaching staff.
    elpalito
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    I deleted a bunch of posts that discuss a topic I already moved to another thread. Please discuss it there.
  • Robbymac12Robbymac12 Summer Orientee
    As far as Bergeron becoming the new coach, that's great for Miami Hockey.    He took BGSU from an almost canceled program back into the NCAA tournament this year after rebuilding the program from scratch.  His youngest son is a very good hockey player, playing U15 AAA hockey this season and will most likely move to play hockey in Detroit area if he has aspirations to play in college.   Bowling Green High School canceled their hockey program, and his son had to play travel hockey anyway.   

Congrats to Miami bringing an Alum back who has had success the past few years.  The NCHC is the top college hockey conference right now, and Bergeron will have his work cut out to play week in and week out at that level with players that he has no connection to right off the bat, but just like when Gwozdecky took over, he will shake the apple cart up and see who is there that fits and bring in new guys that will help. 
  • moosemoose Senior Barfly
    edited April 5
    BubbaK said:

There is plenty of talent out there.  Coach Bergeron (feels good to say that) needs to figure out what kind of team he wants and recruit accordingly.    You can get the top 12 forwards in the country, but what are you going to do if they all shoot lefty!

Put your best shots on RW and best forecheck on LW.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    BG's forum saying both assistants are staying and Miami's website showing Bergeron, Mannino, and Beal all as coaches. Would be interesting if Bergeron is keeping both and taking none.
  • moosemoose Senior Barfly
    JiveHawk said:

BG's forum saying both assistants are staying and Miami's website showing Bergeron, Mannino, and Beal all as coaches. Would be interesting if Bergeron is keeping both and taking none.

I can’t see a new coach being brought in with no say over either assistant. I could see Berg bringing Schutte and keeping Mannino. Find out Monday probably.

Fire Bergeron!

Too soon?
    dave67
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    Bonk said:
    I appreciate your thoughts and perspective as you are an opinion that is worthwhile listening to when it comes to Miami hockey.

Glad to hear you are so positive about the hire.
    DICK
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    I talked to Dave Hakstol today. He said Saylor called him about the opening about 10 days ago. Hakstol told me he was not interested in any college opening, be it North Dakota, Michigan, or Miami.
    mooseMooreHawkDanRedhawkelpalitomuhawkBash_Riprock2xHawkprofholt82DICK
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    JohnnyMac said:

I talked to Dave Hakstol today. He said Saylor called him about the opening about 10 days ago. Hakstol told me he was not interested in any college opening, be it North Dakota, Michigan, or Miami.

That makes me feel better about Bergeron that we did due diligence on a “prime” candidate. That being said, I hope Hakstol has a good line on some commentating jobs, cause he’ll need it with that mindset cause I don’t think NHL teams are gonna be knocking down the door for a coach with meager record of succcess at that level.
    profholt82
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    edited April 6

I don't really follow hockey, but I think they should hire a coach with a cool French name.

Bergeron is good! Not wild about Craig, can he add an accent over one of the letters?
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    edited April 6

I don't really follow hockey, but I think they should hire a coach with a cool French name.

Bergeron is good! Not wild about Craig, can he add an accent over one of the letters?
    Bergeron Surname Meaning:

Bergeron is French (of Norman origin) and derived from the word; Berger. Berger is a surname in both French and German,
    although there is no etymological connection between the names in the
    two languages.

The French surname is an occupational name for a
    shepherd, from Old French bergier (Late Latin berbicarius, from berbex 'ram').

Source: Dictionary of American Family Names (2013) Oxford University Press; "Berger" - Wikipedia (accessed April 6, 2019).

Bergeron (French): One who took care of a flock, a shepherd.

Source: Dictionary of American Family Names (1956) by Elsdon Coles Smith

The surname Bergeron has a wide distribution and a complex history in
    southern Louisiana. People of that name arrived early in the French
    colony; a Jean-Baptiste Bergeron from Illinois (originally from Canada?)
    was living with his family in New Orleans in 1725. Sometime before 1740 Guillaume Bergeron dit St. Onge, a soldier in
    the French marine, was stationed at Natchitoches but later settled in
    Pointe Coupee.

In the 1760s several Bergeron families came to Louisiana from Acadia,
    settling in St. James Parish. Little is known of the early New Orleans
    Bergeron, but most of the households of that name in the state today
    probably can trace ancestry either from the Bergerons of Pointe Coupee
    or from those of St. James Parish.

Based on census records, the Bergeron family name was found in the U.S., the UK, and Canada
    between 1840 and 1920. Most Bergeron families were found in Canada
    in 1911. In 1920 there were 356 Bergeron families living in Louisiana.
    This was about 29 percent of all the recorded Bergeron's in the U.S. Louisiana
    had the highest population of Bergeron families in 1920.

In 1880, Farmer, Laborer and Keeping House were the top 3 reported jobs
    worked by Bergeron's. The most common Bergeron occupation in the U.S. was
    Farmer. Thirty-three percent of Bergeron's were Farmers. A less common occupation for the
    Bergeron family was Planter. Ice hockey coach was even less common.

MooreHawkdigitalhawkdave67
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    Following up with BG, here's the student newspaper's "Wish List" of head coaching candidates

• digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly

Bergeron is French (of Norman origin) and derived from the word; Berger. Berger is a surname in both French and German,
    two languages.

Source: Dictionary of American Family Names (2013) Oxford University Press; "Berger" - Wikipedia (accessed April 6, 2019).

was living with his family in New Orleans in 1725. Sometime before 1740 Guillaume Bergeron dit St. Onge, a soldier in
    Pointe Coupee.

Based on census records, the Bergeron family name was found in the U.S., the UK, and Canada

Farmer. Thirty-three percent of Bergeron's were Farmers. A less common occupation for the

I see what you did there at the end, monsieur.

Following uup with BG, here's the student newspaper's "Wish List" of head coaching candidates

Bylsma isn't coming back to college. Miller is long said to have no interest in being an HC.

I'd be surprised if they don't just promote Eigner, but Wilson is probably their best option. He's experienced and has done a lot of great work at RIT.

Keefe is a great outside the box option - since he has no West experience. But he can really recruit. He is the #1 reason for Northeastern's success and it's not close in my opinion. He may have his ideas on the next HE job to open up though (UVM, ME and BC all may open up soon for various reasons)...

The HC for the Everett Silvertips is also an alum and former assistant. He's winning big in Everett - but struggled as a DIII HC and has very limited recruiting experience at the DI level...
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum

two languages.

Pointe Coupee.

I see what you did there at the end, monsieur.
    mais bien sûr 
  • BubbaKBubbaK Summer Orientee

Following up with BG, here's the student newspaper's "Wish List" of head coaching candidates

No Blasi?  Just sayin'
    DanRedhawk
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    Press Conference today at 1:30 PM and being streamed on miamiredhawks.com
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    Will Rico land anywhere?
    rexjack53 said:

Will Rico land anywhere?

St Lawrence?

• JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    Bergeron's press conference so far has been great. He has people ready to run through a wall. Him talking about Rico was tough.
  • Redhawk2019Redhawk2019 Summer Orientee
    JiveHawk said:

Bergeron's press conference so far has been great. He has people ready to run through a wall. Him talking about Rico was tough.

Any word on the assistants? Press conference made it sound like they haven’t decided yet.
  • MiamiRedskinsMiamiRedskins Havighurstite

JiveHawk said:

Any word on the assistants? Press conference made it sound like they haven’t decided yet.
    no word on assistants, said he needed to get a staff together but never commented on who would be on his staff