Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

What if not Miami

2»

Comments

  • HighStreetBluesHighStreetBlues Senior Barfly
    Love this thread.
    I had an offer to walk on at Brown playing a sport I was dominant in, or an invite to walk-on tryouts for a sport I wasn’t good at at Miami. I made the most illogical, financially damaging decision I’ll ever make, including marriage, and still feel good about it.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    JWags said:

    I was waitlisted at my first choice, University of Chicago. After that it was a choice between paying ~$30k per year after scholarships to go to one of the higher ranked private schools URochester or Case Western, taking a full ride to go to NDSU, or splitting the difference with Miami. NDSU would have been way better from a sports perspective, but I was still able graduate debt-free at Miami and I can't even imagine trying to compete on the job market these days only having a degree from a lower ranked state school. Rochester and CWRU are both D3 and as much as I like to rip on Miami athletics, I do really appreciate getting to turn on college sports and see my alma mater play. I'm happy with the decision I made.

    U of C, NDSU, Case Western, and Miami....what a wild consideration set.  
    When you have a semiobscure major, you don't want to go to a big university, you don't want to go to a religious university, and you hate warm weather, it narrows down your pool of choices.
    Love_and_Honor
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    I only applied to one school. Hell, I only applied to one graduate school. I never liked filling out applications.
    Love_and_HonorWellsGoddess944302
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    I really only seriously considered Miami. I did, at the directions of my high school, send applications to other places, but Hawaii and USC did not seem to my father to be realistic. Smart man.
    dave67Bash_Riprock
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I will make this three in a row.  I only applied to Miami and never seriously considered anywhere else.  My Dad was a Miami alum ( classmate of mlb Hall of Famer Walter Alston). My Aunt who lived next door was a Miami grad.  I had two first cousins who were also freshmen the same year I was, and another first cousin who was a junior.
  • mexicohawkmexicohawk Dodds God
    Being a Hoosier, I seriously considered IU but once I visited Miami I knew that was the place for me.
    Never applied anywhere but MU & never regretted it!
    RedHawks97
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    I applied to the best Miami, the other Miami, And Georgetown, because of the major I wanted. I definitely made the right choice.
  • 90skin90skin Senior Barfly
    Visited Georgetown; Case Western wanted me to play baseball; I visited Miami and it was the only application I sent.  Great choice.  When I travel around the country for work and mention I live in Cincinnati, I am amazed at the number of people who say they went to college near there,at Miami.  Or their neighbor, or one of their kids.  Only one time each did someone say Xavier or Dayton.  And never had anyone comment they went to U of Cincinnati. (Though I tend not to frequent fast food or chain restaurants on the road   B) )

    Lots of Love and Honor on the road.
    Mowchdave67NYCRedHawk
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    I applied to Miami and Ohio State in the late 1980’s. I only really considered Miami but i probably would have been happy at tOSU. My daughter starts on Oxford this fall.
    elpalitoDICKthechuck_2112
  • ChiefPanicChiefPanic Off-Campus Slummer
    JWags said:

    Was waitlisted at Michigan, wanted first semester grades of my senior year (got a 3.8, decently higher than my cum to that point), but was kind of tired of the process, was accepted and loved my visit to Miami, so I pulled the trigger.  Sports would have been more fun, but I think my college experience was way better.


    CU is the big what if.  Liked the school, but couldnt wrap my head around going that far away.  Visited my freshman year GF who transferred there her Soph year, experienced it as a student and whoa.  Honestly, Miami is near and dear to my heart and I wouldn't trade my experience for the world, but CU truly felt more "me".  Likely would have been a sports nightmare too though, haha
    Same (CU). Walked into HS college night with CU as #1 until we saw the out of state price tag. Wisconsin was my realistic #2.

    But my first time on campus in Boulder (for the Miami game after graduation and me moving to Denver) was awesome. As far as sports - Miami was certainly better during my time there (same year as Ben) and not too much better after.

    Now in hindsight, I also love Bozeman, Missoula (wife is an alum), and Fort Collins.

    Miami is still the best.
  • crashdadcrashdad Summer Orientee
    Maine. Go Black Bears!
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite

    JWags said:

    Was waitlisted at Michigan, wanted first semester grades of my senior year (got a 3.8, decently higher than my cum to that point), but was kind of tired of the process, was accepted and loved my visit to Miami, so I pulled the trigger.  Sports would have been more fun, but I think my college experience was way better.


    CU is the big what if.  Liked the school, but couldnt wrap my head around going that far away.  Visited my freshman year GF who transferred there her Soph year, experienced it as a student and whoa.  Honestly, Miami is near and dear to my heart and I wouldn't trade my experience for the world, but CU truly felt more "me".  Likely would have been a sports nightmare too though, haha
    Same (CU). Walked into HS college night with CU as #1 until we saw the out of state price tag. Wisconsin was my realistic #2.

    But my first time on campus in Boulder (for the Miami game after graduation and me moving to Denver) was awesome. As far as sports - Miami was certainly better during my time there (same year as Ben) and not too much better after.

    Now in hindsight, I also love Bozeman, Missoula (wife is an alum), and Fort Collins.

    Miami is still the best.

    My freshman year was 03-04, so I saw Ben and the ESPN2 weeknight games in all their glory, and had a BLAST.  However, I was at Folsom for CU-CSU in fall of '04, neither team was great, but obviously a big rivalry game and the stadium was packed.  CU won on a late stop and I can easily say it was ELECTRIC and far surpassed any Miami appearance.  But its apples to oranges.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    I probably would've gotten my degree from one of the four other universities I have credits from, most likely University of Dayton. While I was there I was living on Kiefaber when UD made the elite 8. I also was a student at Wright State when they beat a pretty good Butler team. Miami has been my worst experience when it comes to athletic success, but it was the best experience.
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    I wouldn't have gone anywhere else to be a lifetime fan.

    Despite all of our frustrations, being a Miami fan is special. When we do something, it really means something because the odds are stacked against us so high.

    I also do not think any other so-called "mid-major" has seen its team reach a Sweet 16 in basketball (Wally), finish the football season ranked #10 in the country (Ben) and played for a national championship in hockey. We enjoyed all of these as Miami fans. Would I have gotten any more joy out of watching OSU or Alabama win football championships, Duke the Final Four or UMD the Frozen Four? NO.

    Perhaps accomplishments like this are now out of reach due to the changing landscape of college sports but they have all occurred in my lifetime and I would not trade my Miami experience on campus and as a lifetime fan for any other school.
    Bash_RiprockNYCRedHawkdave67DICK
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    JiveHawk said:

    I probably would've gotten my degree from one of the four other universities I have credits from, most likely University of Dayton. While I was there I was living on Kiefaber when UD made the elite 8. I also was a student at Wright State when they beat a pretty good Butler team. Miami has been my worst experience when it comes to athletic success, but it was the best experience.

    So basically you were Michael Weathers. But, you know, without all the crime.
    dave67QuinoaburgerJiveHawkgentbaseball12
  • MacCrackenMacCracken Havighurstite
    I'm a first generation college student, and my parents said they would pay for any in-state public Ohio college except for UC, as they didn't want their 18 year old living in Clifton.  I toured Kent State and Wright State, and my parents liked Wright State.  My best friend was going to be pre-vet at Ohio State.  So I guess one of those?  Coming from Lakota with 2,000 students, it seemed college should be bigger though not the small city that is OSU. Truly it never occurred to me that I wouldn't get into Miami, and I applied early decision.

    I volunteered with several OSU fans.  They were shocked at a conference in Atlanta in 2004 that everyone who saw my Miami shirt wanted to talk about Ben , and that's hard to believe it was 15 years ago or that I'm a couple months away from my 20th reunion.
  • muohiobkmuohiobk Off-Campus Slummer
    Had no idea where I wanted to end up so applied to ton of school. Once I saw the campus in oxford I was going to Miami.

    If I didn't end up at Miami was between Fairfield, Seton Hall and Elon. 

    Financially speaking being out of state may have not been the best decision but I would not trade going to Miami for anything.

  • SykesSykes Summer Orientee
    This is a fun thread to bring me out of hiding.

    Miami was any first choice, and I got wait listed. So, I had to consider my other options. Wittenberg, if my dad got his way, would have been my backup. But, I would have most likely ended up at Auburn since it’s in state and I had already been accepted.

    Luckily, I got into Miami and I never had to make that choice.
    redhawk11mz343thechuck_2112elpalito
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Sykes said:

    This is a fun thread to bring me out of hiding.

    Miami was any first choice, and I got wait listed. So, I had to consider my other options. Wittenberg, if my dad got his way, would have been my backup. But, I would have most likely ended up at Auburn since it’s in state and I had already been accepted.

    Luckily, I got into Miami and I never had to make that choice.

    Welcome back.
    Sykes
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Y'all
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    LexDaddy wrote:
    "I wouldn't have gone anywhere else to be a lifetime fan."

    Despite all of our frustrations, being a Miami fan is special. When we do something, it really means something because the odds are stacked against us so high.

    I also do not think any other so-called "mid-major" has seen its team reach a Sweet 16 in basketball (Wally), finish the football season ranked #10 in the country (Ben) and played for a national championship in hockey. We enjoyed all of these as Miami fans. Would I have gotten any more joy out of watching OSU or Alabama win football championships, Duke the Final Four or UMD the Frozen Four? NO.

    Perhaps accomplishments like this are now out of reach due to the changing landscape of college sports but they have all occurred in my lifetime and I would not trade my Miami experience on campus and as a lifetime fan for any other school.

    I'm a late '70's grad and we had a pretty good run at it athletically during my time too. Few dry spells and one especially bleak time in football but that's life. And much like LexDaddy " I would not trade my Miami experience on campus and as a lifetime fan for any other school."

    LexMan, I truly love and echo your sentiment...we're a pretty lucky bunch.  Love + Honor!

Sign In or Register to comment.