Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Coaching Carousel 2019

Comments

• JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    redhawk11 said:

redhawk11 said:

Thad or John Brannen

Nick Van Exel wants it!
    I wish they would hire Melvin Levett. He coached at Miami Hamilton for a while!

Didn't he go like 1-22 one year coaching Colerain?
    HighStreetBlues
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    JWags said:

redhawk11 said:

redhawk11 said:

Thad or John Brannen

Nick Van Exel wants it!
    I wish they would hire Melvin Levett. He coached at Miami Hamilton for a while!

Didn't he go like 1-22 one year coaching Colerain?
    I know nothing about that. That said, I'd bet my life that's true.

• TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    I think the Helicopter had mild success as the head coach at Talawanda Middle School ~10 years ago. 
    redhawk11
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

I think the Helicopter had mild success as the head coach at Talawanda Middle School ~10 years ago. 

http://www.wintonwoods.org/7/News/13937#sthash.xLT0RiE1.dpbs

He's now at Winton Woods.  The link doesn't include that he's an assistant coach on Winton Woods's boys basketball team.

And yes, TC, The Helicopter was the head coach at Talawanda Middle School a while back.  He did a nice job there and you'd see him at Miami basketball games, from time to time.  As far as Colerain, that whole athletic department is geared around football, so basketball really has problems.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

Supposedly, Thad Matta has to interview somewhere every year as part of his contract.  OSU is still paying him off his head coaching contract, that clause is supposed to help motivate him to go find a job so they can stop paying him. Last year I think he interviewed at Georgia Tech.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    JWags said:

DICK said:

I would say UCLA is not a Blue Blood anymore.  Just looking at the list of problems that Chuck listed, Both Barnes and Kruger would be leaving better jobs to go there.  PAC 12 basketball may not even be the best basketball out West, IMO....  Are either of them under pressure in their current jobs?  Barnes just had one of the best seasons in Tennessee history.

How do you figure? They still have the most NCAA titles and the second most FFs. They have had a disappointing last 10 years by their standards, but if you stretch to 15 years, they still have 3 FFs in that time and have a few recent S16s. They’d have to have a wasteland 10-20 years for them to have that label in jeopardy.

That being said, the challenges and resource issues there leading Tennessee and OU to not be no brainer leaps says all you need to know about what a mess it is.

The Pac12 is still the best basketball out West. Don’t be silly. It had a down year, but there are multiple schools with more recent success than St Mary’s or any other WCC school besides Gonzaga, and the MWC isnt much better. Utah St, SDSU, Utah, and New Mexico have had a good season or two, but nothing significantly enduring or concurrent

Yeah, if you go back 10 or  15 years there is no comparison, but over the last 2 or 3 years, Arizona and UCLA no longer seem to be all that good and nobody has taken their place.  Gonzaga is now the best program out West and St.Marys and BYU stack up very well against the best the PAC 12 has to offer.  The top of the WCC has recently been a little better than the PAC 12.  Now the MWC is a different story, they are down and I wasn't talking about them.   In fact the MAC has been rated higher the last couple of years.  Buffalo has been better than anybody in the MWC 
    edited April 9
    DICK said:

JWags said:

DICK said:

I would say UCLA is not a Blue Blood anymore.  Just looking at the list of problems that Chuck listed, Both Barnes and Kruger would be leaving better jobs to go there.  PAC 12 basketball may not even be the best basketball out West, IMO....  Are either of them under pressure in their current jobs?  Barnes just had one of the best seasons in Tennessee history.

How do you figure? They still have the most NCAA titles and the second most FFs. They have had a disappointing last 10 years by their standards, but if you stretch to 15 years, they still have 3 FFs in that time and have a few recent S16s. They’d have to have a wasteland 10-20 years for them to have that label in jeopardy.

That being said, the challenges and resource issues there leading Tennessee and OU to not be no brainer leaps says all you need to know about what a mess it is.

The Pac12 is still the best basketball out West. Don’t be silly. It had a down year, but there are multiple schools with more recent success than St Mary’s or any other WCC school besides Gonzaga, and the MWC isnt much better. Utah St, SDSU, Utah, and New Mexico have had a good season or two, but nothing significantly enduring or concurrent

Yeah, if you go back 10 or  15 years there is no comparison, but over the last 2 or 3 years, Arizona and UCLA no longer seem to be all that good and nobody has taken their place.  Gonzaga is now the best program out West and St.Marys and BYU stack up very well against the best the PAC 12 has to offer.  The top of the WCC has recently been a little better than the PAC 12.  Now the MWC is a different story, they are down and I wasn't talking about them.   In fact the MAC has been rated higher the last couple of years.  Buffalo has been better than anybody in the MWC 

o.O

Zona is 2 years off a S16 and was a top 20 team all year last year.  They had a disastrous year cause of the recruiting scandal, but calling them "no longer that good" when they have the top class coming in next year is premature.  UCLA was in the S16 2 years ago as well.

Gonzaga is the best program in the west, not even up for debated, agreed.  But St Marys?  Nah. In that 3 year period, St Marys has 1 tournament win.  Stretch it to 5 years, St Marys has 2 appearances and 1 win.  In that time, 5 Pac 12 teams have more appearances (Oregon, Zona, UCLA, ASU, and Utah) and 4 of those (all except ASU) have more wins.  Nobody would take St Marys success or potential over Oregon, Zona, or Utah, especially with recruits coming in.

And BYU hasnt won a game since Jimmer left and only has 1 appearance in 5 years and have been very average the last couple years. 

It was a bad year for the P12 to be sure, but Washington, Oregon, Arizona, and Utah are all better positioned than St Marys, not even including UCLA.  
    Steve Alford named head coach at Nevada
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Off-Campus Slummer

How does this guy keep getting hired — very puzzling.
    dave67
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum

Steve 16's are a real thing. Plenty of places would be happy with them.

The problem is all the baggage you have to put up with to get Steve 16's.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

The terrible hair?
    elpalito

He has a career winning percentage of about 65%?  He's taken 4 diff schools to NCAA tourneys and 2 diff to S16s and was a basket away from a 3rd?

He's a good coach, not a great coach.  The MWC is probably a perfect level for him.  I don't think he's going to be a long term successful P5 coach, but I bet he has success at Nevada similar to that he had at New Mexico, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    AORedHawk33Bash_RiprockDICK
    edited April 12

The terrible hair?
    I was thinking more along the lines of "enlisted the faculty advisor for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes to tell an Iowa student raped by one of his players that it would be in everyone's best interests if she kept quiet instead of causing herself a heap of problems by reporting the rape to the police."

EDIT: And after Alford arranged for that strong-arming, the player went on to be arrested a second time for forcibly stripping another woman and threatening her with a knife.
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly

The terrible hair?
    I was thinking more along the lines of "enlisted the faculty advisor for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes to tell an Iowa student raped by one of his players that it would be in everyone's best interests if she kept quiet instead of causing herself a heap of problems by reporting the rape to the police."

EDIT: And after Alford arranged for that strong-arming, the player went on to be arrested a second time for forcibly stripping another woman and threatening her with a knife.

Yeah, that Iowa thing never gets old.

bpat said:

The terrible hair?

The Pierre Pierce debacle was disgusting and Alford was slimey as hell during it.  But it didn't sink him at Iowa, and it didn't stop him from getting a job at NM or UCLA, so why would it now?
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    edited April 12
    JWags said:

bpat said:

The terrible hair?

The Pierre Pierce debacle was disgusting and Alford was slimey as hell during it.  But it didn't sink him at Iowa, and it didn't stop him from getting a job at NM or UCLA, so why would it now?
    Oh it won't. If a coach is decent enough (W/L) someone will go after him/her.
    NKU coach, John Brannen, to replace Mick Cronin at UC
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

NKU coach, John Brannen, to replace Mick Cronin at UC

Well, since we now play NKU and we no longer play UC, this is good for us.
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    A little off thread, but LSU reinstated Will Wade.  I'm a little surprised.  Looks like five of their players have declared for the NBA draft, so the cupboard may be bare next season.  
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

DICK said:

Buzz Williams leaving Va Tech has created a local buzz.  Our local super star, Andre Gordon of Sidney ( coached by former Miami point guard John Willoughby) signed with Virginia Tech in November.

This could get interesting if Andre Gordon reopens his recruiting. Or he tries to go to A&M with Buzz. Provided Buzz offers him a spot, there.
    Exactly what  happened.  Virginia Tech agreed to let him out of his commit and Andre Gordon is now going with Buzz Williams to Texas A & M.
    Professor_Fate
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    Dane Fischer to Wiliam and Mary, and Aaron Kelly to Catholic U.  These two have been Dave Paulsen's assistants for years, first at Bucknell and then George Mason.  I have season tickets to GM, and these two have been very important in that program's revival/exceeding of expectations over the last four years.  Hats off to them.  Duane Simpkins, also an excellent coach, remains as a Paulsen assistant.  
    AORedHawk33
    Former Arkansas head coach, Mike Anderson, hired at St. John’s. This could be an interesting hire.
    Northern Kentucky now going after Pat Kelsey of Winthrop. We’ll see how this goes, but he’s from Elder High and right across the river from where he grew up

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/2019/04/23/northern-kentucky-pat-kelsey/3550396002/
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Darrin Horn to NKU

Darrin Horn to NKU

Thats a good hire for them.  He did a really nice job at WKU, and South Carolina is kind of a widowmaker of a job.  Dave Odom is a fantastic coach and he didn't have great success there.  Frank Martin is a very good coach, and save a miracle FF run, he's had kind of a rough time there.  Horn should do pretty well with the foundation set, and hes from the area.

Not sure what Pat Kelsey is waiting on.  Maybe he likes it in Rock Hill, but his name keeps popping up for jobs, which isnt by accident.  He's not as hot as he was 2 seasons ago, and one bid conferences are tough to stay attractive as a young name.  You move up to a P6 or A10 job like he was discussed for, and you fail, you probably get a top assistant gig and another shot in a few years.  If Winthrop misses the tourney next year, he's looking at a lateral move to another 1 bid conference until they potentially make another run
    CMHskins
    JWags said:

Darrin Horn to NKU

Thats a good hire for them.  He did a really nice job at WKU, and South Carolina is kind of a widowmaker of a job.  Dave Odom is a fantastic coach and he didn't have great success there.  Frank Martin is a very good coach, and save a miracle FF run, he's had kind of a rough time there.  Horn should do pretty well with the foundation set, and hes from the area.

Not sure what Pat Kelsey is waiting on.  Maybe he likes it in Rock Hill, but his name keeps popping up for jobs, which isnt by accident.  He's not as hot as he was 2 seasons ago, and one bid conferences are tough to stay attractive as a young name.  You move up to a P6 or A10 job like he was discussed for, and you fail, you probably get a top assistant gig and another shot in a few years.  If Winthrop misses the tourney next year, he's looking at a lateral move to another 1 bid conference until they potentially make another run
    Here's what happened with Kelsey

• mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    John Beilein has stunned the majority of Michiganders in leaving UM and taking the Cleveland Cavs job.  I saw Coach at church yesterday with his wife and granddaughter.  Surreal.
    Michigan hires Juwan Howard. This is certainly a choice that one could make.