Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Stanley Cup Playoffs

Comments

• The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    It's a cross check. Nothing more. No way should he get suspended. 

"Warren Foegele" has to be the nerdiest name in NHL history.
  • MazMaz Off-Campus Slummer
    It's a cross check. Nothing more. No way should he get suspended. 

"Warren Foegele" has to be the nerdiest name in NHL history.
    Actually, it is both cross-checking and boarding. If Oshie doesn't get injured, I'd probably agree that it should be a penalty and be done with it. But... take a look at the play again and you'll see Foegele extend his arms with his cross-check, sending Oshie (who was already moving at a good clip) into the boards head-first, at high speed. That's extremely dangerous -- the kind thing that has paralyzed people (see Travis Roy).

If the NHL is using "Supplemental Discipline" to make "players ... responsible for the consequences of their actions", then I think that means he should be suspended. We might debate whether that's the right way to do this, but they have clearly decided that they are going to use supplemental discipline for this, so under their standard, its a suspension.

(Yes, I realize that Alan May is a big time homer, and I always take him with a grain of salt for that reason ... but, Craig Laughlin usually tries to be impartial (he sometimes fails). That doesn't mean they're wrong here.)

• JCook32JCook32 Dodds God
    I thought the post game show nailed it. It was a "dangerous" hit but not a "dirty" hit. When watching the replay, it looked like a push and not a shove, which is maybe why the ref called the 2 minute instead of 5. With that said, I do think he should have gotten either a game misconduct or, since he only got 2 in the game, suspended for a game. It was just too dangerous to say that's a 2 minute penalty.
  • moosemoose Senior Barfly
    Leafs go up 3-2 with a chance for some Hall and Oates and closing out at home.

Johnny Ham and Cheese doesn’t even get a chance off on a penalty shot flames down 1-0.
    Ham and Cheese shoots well wide on a break, Avs go 200 feet to go up 2-0.
    Top two teams go a combined 1-8 in the first round.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Flames need Czarnik to the rescue!
    FYI, CBJ would have home ice advantage if they meet the Avs for the Cup AKA The Adam Foote Bowl. LOL.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    So apparently that was the first shorthanded goal in a multi-OT game in NHL playoff history.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Kuraly!

moose
    JohnnyMac said:

Kuraly!

Was #2 star.

I gave up on the San Jose game when they went down 2-0. What a finish.
  • JohnnyMac said:

I gave up on the San Jose game when they went down 2-0. What a finish.

A lot of controversy right now concerning the five minute major for the hit on Pavelski.  Feels a lot like targeting in football where they ignore intent and just look at the result of the play
  • Also, Vegas now officially has experienced their worst season in franchise history 
    mooseelpalitoLove_and_Honor
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Yeah, bad call on the major. But also...4 goals allowed on the PP? Hard to feel bad there.
    Ho hum, game 7 OT.
  • BonkBonk Off-Campus Slummer
    Canes win.
    Good to see Tom Wilson get beat by his man for the game-winner.
    BonkThe_Sackman
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

Also, Vegas now officially has experienced their worst season in franchise history 

I watched the Vegas-San Jose game 7 in a sports book in Mesquite, NV.  There were about 15 Golden Knights fans and a man and wife wearing Sharks jerseys and passionately yelling and screaming. Everybody was civil to each other though.  Riley Smith made a great pass from behind the goal to set up the tieing goal by LV in the last minute.  

The other thing of interest was that they had the late ESPN sports center from LA on and Sean Kuraly was interviewed live from Boston, but I could not here it because the sound was on a  Yankees at Angels baseball game.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Out of curiosity... Do hockey fans actually enjoy all of these upsets in the first round?
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

Out of curiosity... Do hockey fans actually enjoy all of these upsets in the first round?

Never before have both 8 seeds advanced and all four wild card made it this year. Most fans are enjoying it because:
    - Tampa fans were obnoxious all year about how no other teams had a chance at the cup and how they'd sweep CBJ
    - Calgary has some douches for stars
    - Washington got their cup last season
    - Nashville fans are bad. They trash talk everyone else while simultaneously knowing nothing about hockey.

I think most fans are excited to see some fresh teams make it. Playoff hockey is a different beast with practically different rules, so it's expected that upsets happen.
    Love_and_HonorMHT_Meme_Team

The ratings will probably be terrible but that is Buttman's problem. Playing the long game, hockey is going to grow in Texas and North Carolina and Ohio now and that is a good thing.
    MHT_Meme_Team

Yes. Playoffs become more of a chess match than regular season. These are upsets if you focus on regular season standings. They aren't if you watch each game and the matchups.

The ratings will probably be terrible but that is Buttman's problem. Playing the long game, hockey is going to grow in Texas and North Carolina and Ohio now and that is a good thing.
    CBJ vs Avs will be a great matchup.
    The_Sackman
    JohnnyMac said:

Good to see Tom Wilson get beat by his man for the game-winner.

That will teach him. Never again will he go a series without attempted decapitation.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    JiveHawk said:

Never before have both 8 seeds advanced and all four wild card made it this year. Most fans are enjoying it because:
    - Tampa fans were obnoxious all year about how no other teams had a chance at the cup and how they'd sweep CBJ
    - Calgary has some douches for stars
    - Washington got their cup last season
    - Nashville fans are bad. They trash talk everyone else while simultaneously knowing nothing about hockey.

I think most fans are excited to see some fresh teams make it. Playoff hockey is a different beast with practically different rules, so it's expected that upsets happen.
    Nashville fans are the new Blackhawks fans? Interesting.
    Professor_Fate
    News to me about Nashville fans. But I only deal with Caps fans around here.
    All four Ohio pro hockey teams have playoff games tonight:

Toledo at Cincinnati.
    Syracuse at Cleveland
    Columbus at Boston

Has to be a first
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    edited April 25
    OT,
    and Bruins win 3-2
    These playoffs are totally upside down.