Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Hockey Coaching Search Thread

Comments

• HawksVoxHawksVox Summer Orientee
    edited April 8

JiveHawk said:

Any word on the assistants? Press conference made it sound like they haven’t decided yet.

I have to assume he'd be interested in having Barry and Ty join him here in Oxford, but they will no doubt wait to hear from BG about that team's coaching plans. One or both may well be in the mix to replace Berge. So once BG makes their decision about what to do with the assistants Chris Bergeron already knows, our decisions can go forward. Of course, if we come up with "an offer he can't refuse" (Ha!) the scenario could be different. There may well be a slew of assistants at other schools who also know Berge and would like to join him here in Oxford. He'll have plenty to choose from is my guess. But it's all a timing game based upon Ty Eigner and Barry Schutte having their opportunity to coach the Falcons going forward.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    HawksVox said:

JiveHawk said:

Any word on the assistants? Press conference made it sound like they haven’t decided yet.

I have to assume he'd be interested in having Barry and Ty join him here in Oxford, but they will no doubt wait to hear from BG about that team's coaching plans. One or both may well be in the mix to replace Berge. So once BG makes their decision about what to do with the assistants Chris Bergeron already knows, our decisions can go forward. Of course, if we come up with "an offer he can't refuse" (Ha!) the scenario could be different. There may well be a slew of assistants at other schools who also know Berge and would like to join him here in Oxford. He'll have plenty to choose from is my guess. But it's all a timing game based upon Ty Eigner and Barry Schutte having their opportunity to coach the Falcons going forward.
    I think Ty has a decent shot at the BG gig. If so, I think Barry will come home. If that’s the case, could our current Interim Coach stay on?
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    rexjack53 said:

Will Rico land anywhere?

imagine he's going to take his time and have a nice long summer vacation. I wouldn't be shocked if lands with the Redwings in some capacity. 

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    rexjack53 said:

Will Rico land anywhere?

If he doesn't make a good-faith effort to try, he isn't getting his buyout.  And his experience is such that if he makes a good-faith effort to try, *someone* will bring him on.  Perhaps a consultant with the Red Wings or something like that.
  • JCook32JCook32 Summer Orientee
    Couldn't a "good faith effort" include going for jobs that he knows he's never going to get? What constitutes a good faith effort?
    Presumably taking his sweet time all summer and ignoring the key coaching turnover seasons (both college and NHL) would qualify as not making reasonable efforts to look for work.

Generally speaking, what constitutes a “reasonable” or “good-faith” effort for a party to mitigate his damages is a rather loose question that a lot of courts have addressed. I’m not sure what the standard is in Ohio.
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    What’s reasonable? He’s not likely to take a 100g pay cut to coach D-3
    Iam4hawks said:

Generally speaking, what constitutes a “reasonable” or “good-faith” effort for a party to mitigate his damages is a rather loose question that a lot of courts have addressed. I’m not sure what the standard is in Ohio.
    TruckCrew
  • MazMaz Off-Campus Slummer
    Iam4hawks said:

Wow.  I didn't realize that D3 hockey paid so well.
    Maz said:

Iam4hawks said:

Wow.  I didn't realize that D3 hockey paid so well.
    Has anyone ever gone from being the most overpaid D-1 coach to the highest paid D-3 coach?
    profholt82
  • MazMaz Off-Campus Slummer
    I saw an article about UMD coach Scott Sandelin being considered for an NHL gig (really, more wondering why he hasn't received as much interest as he has).  It said his salary at Duluth is $350,000.  That provides some interesting context to what we are paying/paid.
    NYCRedHawk
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    So Miami's decline was not a coaching staff pay issue then. 
    DICK
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Mannino and Beal both out according to CHN twitter
    Barry Schutte in. Wonder if Ty Eigner is not getting BG job and comes too?
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    MooreHawk said:

Mannino and Beal both out according to CHN twitter

That's a shame; Mannino was very personable,good for goalies, and generally nice guy.  Wish him well.
    JiveHawk
  • NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    edited April 16
    This is a very, very far off thought - and I am not saying I agree with it or disagree with it - any thoughts on Blasi being retained in an assistant capacity?  The reason I bring this up is because of his and Berg's relationship as both players and coaches, and what they were able to do before he left for BG.
    profholt82
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

This is a very, very far off thought - and I am not saying I agree with it or disagree with it - any thoughts on Blasi being retained in an assistant capacity?  The reason I bring this up is because of his and Berg's relationship as both players and coaches, and what they were able to do before he left for BG.

I don't think that is a good idea right now, but would be fine a few years down the road.  I would think Rico will get a hockey head coaching job somewhere, or if an assistant maybe in the NHL?
    DICK said:

I don't think that is a good idea right now, but would be fine a few years down the road.  I would think Rico will get a hockey head coaching job somewhere, or if an assistant maybe in the NHL?
    Rico’s ego barely fit in his office. Let alone a smaller one as an assistant.
    Iam4hawksprofholt82
  • greggie76greggie76 Havighurstite
    So I guess this mean Barry coming here next w
    greggie76 said:

So I guess this mean Barry coming here next w

We're trading Barry for a quaterback to be named later.
    Bash_Riprock
  • redhawkfan27redhawkfan27 Summer Orientee
    Barry is on campus today.
    So much for that trade.
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    Anymore word on the assistant coaches? BG’s site still has Barry Schutte listed as well as Miami’s has Mannino and Beal listed.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    No, but Ben Kraws signed his NLI
    adyonka said:

Report of a six year, $305K plus bonuses contract. https://twitter.com/JordanStrack/status/1114193866675118080

BG folks saying that they offered Bergeron 250/year, increasing to 300/year by 2025, to get him to stay.
  • D_DayD_Day Senior Barfly
    Barry Schutte is almost certainly returning!  

He has been removed from the Bowling Green web-site.
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    great.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    Schutte's wife tweeted they were coming back to Oxford. Sounds like Director of Hockey Operations Jimmy Spratt will be joining as well.
  • D_DayD_Day Senior Barfly
    JiveHawk said:

Schutte's wife tweeted they were coming back to Oxford. Sounds like Director of Hockey Operations Jimmy Spratt will be joining as well.

The question is whether Jimmy Spratt is coming in as the DOHO or the second assistant.  If he is the DOHO, then that still leaves a spot for another assistant.