Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

St Thomas is too good, gets kicked out of MIAC

This is an interesting read

https://es.pn/2JVhWKQ

Comments

• dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    No worry that Miami would face the same fate in the MAC. >:)
    skin66agc
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    Fun thread I saw on Twitter: if you could kick anyone out of the MAC, who would you pick?
  • agcagc Off-Campus Slummer
    JiveHawk said:

Fun thread I saw on Twitter: if you could kick anyone out of the MAC, who would you pick?

Hands down Buffalo. They are getting way too good in everything
  • agcagc Off-Campus Slummer
    JiveHawk said:

But if the question is about a single person, undoubtedly Chuck Martin
    Professor_FateAORedHawk33Re6H5wk
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    The OAC and WIAC are sitting around saying “you can just vote them out?”
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

The OAC and WIAC are sitting around saying “you can just vote them out?”

Are those conferences or are those bands that have played Brick Street over the years?
    dave67
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    agc said:

JiveHawk said:

Also works from a geographical/cultural perspective.
  • BonkBonk Off-Campus Slummer
    I thought I remembered someone saying they could go D-1 in hockey if they got booted.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    If you read the local coverage in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the situation is (no surprise) more nuanced than ESPN reported.  St Thomas is about triple the size of most MIAC schools and double the size of the next largest.  It also has been super-aggressive in recent years about playing right at the margins of "non-athletic aid" in D3, much like UW-Whitewater and Mount Union.  The MIAC presidents concluded that the league had become structurally uncompetitive, and I can see why they reached that conclusion.  

The UST people will cry foul, but they'll be fine.  They can either join the Wisconsin IAC, where most of the schools are UW branches that are about the same size as UST and they'll have an immediate rival in Whitewater, or they can move up to D2, which is de facto what they're playing right now and schedule the Minnesota publics and through the Dakotas.  
    St Thomas can’t move up to D2 without moving the hockey program to D1, which is unsustainable in the short term for various reasons, even if it would work later on. This move basically forces St. Thomas to join the WIAC (which might let them but might not) or shut down their athletic program.

I have no problem with schools deemphasizing athletics. I have a huge problem with a school that lost a football game 97-0 (in a season where the offender didn’t even win the conference!) trying to shut down another school’s whole athletic program as revenge.
    Bonk said:

I thought I remembered someone saying they could go D-1 in hockey if they got booted.

It isn’t “they could.” It’s “they are required to.”
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    agc said:

JiveHawk said:

The issue with the MAC is that some institutions view the Conference as a sort of purgatory----they're here only until they get good enough to leave on their own. I suspect Buffalo and perhaps Northern Illinois have their eyes on the exit door if their overall programs (especially in FB and men's BB) can get and stay at a reasonably high level. Plus both have larger marketing areas in very close proximity.
    agc
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Off-Campus Slummer

This move basically forces St. Thomas to join the WIAC (which might let them but might not) or shut down their athletic program. 

Playing as an independent isn't an option?
    There are currently four D3 independents. One is closing, and one is dropping athletics. In addition to the scheduling problems of being an independent, independents are de facto shut out of postseason competition in D3. It’s possible to qualify, but prohibitively difficult.
    TruckCrew