Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Brandon Peters (Michigan QB Transfer)

Comments

• AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    I'm not sure Chuck feels too comfortable going into this season with a first year QB.  This schedule is a nightmare for a coach on the hotseat. 
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

I'm not sure Chuck feels too comfortable going into this season with a first year QB.  This schedule is a nightmare for a coach on the hotseat. 

Come on Chuck!  Take a chance!  Custer did.
    moose
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    Schedule is why pre-season predictions have Miami 3rd or 4th in the East. 2017 was the schedule for 8 + wins and the team failed that season. 
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Here is Chuck's quandary:

A fifth year graduate transfer such as Peters sees an opportunity to "start" at Miami and has probably been actively solicited/recruited by Chuck and whoever Miami's QB coach is......probably because our QBs in waiting may just need a bit more seasoning....so he accepts the offer and opts to attend Miami for a shot at legitimate PT and, in the end, an opportunity to "showcase" his wares to NFL scouts, etc.

Meanwhile, Miami's QBs in waiting (three legit candidates at last count) see this happening....and what do they do? At least one will leave....but two may also leave. So my question becomes: Does CM think that because he's on the proverbial "hot seat," which most would think he is, go with a guy like Peters (assuming he "likes us") and risk losing one or two QBs already in the program to try to save his job?

Thoughts.............
    agc
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Well Peters is eligible for 2 years, so that makes it a little less of a predicament in this case. Would Williamson leave? Probably. Mayer? Maybe. I think that's collateral damage that Martin would be ok with if he thinks he's getting a clear upgrade at the QB position for this year and next (assuming he survives this one). Probably won't be something he'll have to deal with though as I would expect Peters to end up in Illinois.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

Well Peters is eligible for 2 years, so that makes it a little less of a predicament in this case. Would Williamson leave? Probably. Mayer? Maybe. I think that's collateral damage that Martin would be ok with if he thinks he's getting a clear upgrade at the QB position for this year and next (assuming he survives this one). Probably won't be something he'll have to deal with though as I would expect Peters to end up in Illinois.

Good point---P5 tops G5 almost any day.
  • CalOhHawkCalOhHawk Dodds God
    Peters would be a great pick up - esp given the fact he is eligible for two years- our program needs to get back to a winning record as soon as we can
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Renmanco said:

Good point---P5 tops G5 almost any day.
    Yeah, although if you have to go up against a P5 school in a recruiting battle, Illinois is probably on the short list. I honestly believe this Miami team is talented enough to win the MAC East, just need the right QB. If Peters wants to go get his brains beat in at Illinois so he can stay in the P5, then godspeed to him. He could come to Miami and compete for a championship
    Nickskin
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    While he didn't pan out at Michigan...this kid is 6'5", was ranked the #6 QB in his class, and #61 recruit overall in the country. He would be "the highest rated" person to probably wear the red and white, according to HS rankings.
    redhawk11
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

While he didn't pan out at Michigan...this kid is 6'5", was ranked the #6 QB in his class, and #61 recruit overall in the country. He would be "the highest rated" person to probably wear the red and white, according to HS rankings.

Yes, this guy would be huge for us.

Let the QB's Miami has now compete for the starting job and let that play out. 
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    rexjack53 said:

This is complacency.

why? . aren't they all 3 star recruits who did well in high school?
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    I like their potential...But...Billy Bahl was also a 3-star recruit who did well in high school.

I would love to bring in this kid as long as we lose only one QB (and not two).
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    rexjack53 said:

So if we were to go 4-8 the next few years with these QBs you won't complain?
    if Miami goes 4-8 the next few years a lot more than QB play will be the issue. 
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    If you want to stop attracting HS QBs, then keep bringing in dismayed transfers, pushing aside said HS QBs.
    Scalper
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    dave67 said:

If you want to stop attracting HS QBs, then keep bringing in dismayed transfers, pushing aside said HS QBs.

Well, the vast majority of the HS QBs we have recruited under Chuck have been straight up not good enough. Since Gus (Chuck's first recruit), our QB recruits have been:
    - Billy Bahl (horrible, now in D2)
    - Noah Wezensky (never saw the field, went D3, now a librarian)
    - Dom Robinson (now a wide receiver)
    - Jackson Williamson (the guy from A Star is Born?!?!)
    - AJ Mayer (jury out)
    - Brett Gabbert (jury out)

Oh, and then there was 9/11 conspiracy theorist extraordinaire, Jordan Martin, who comes from the same blood line as our head coach. 

All of the above is to say, I don't think we're having trouble attracting HS QBs. I think we're having a world of trouble identifying good ones. 
    AORedHawk33thechuck_2112Spanks004ChiefPanic
    Okay, valid point of history; I was more interested in future effects, but if the future is just a repeat of past incompetence, then we're in more trouble
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    To Noah's defense, he played well in D3 until injury and he left because he didn't want to play FBS. He played well in the game he was thrown into at Miami too, but the oline killed him. Politics (government, not team) might've played a factor too.

skin66
    This season will tell a lot.. A Martin recruit, not a transfer, will likely be under center the whole season. 
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    "Politics (government, not team) might've played a factor too."

Just curious, but how would that have been a factor?
    AORedHawk33DICK
    EDDIE said:

"Politics (government, not team) might've played a factor too."

Just curious, but how would that have been a factor?

Caution, no politics allowed! ;D
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Too many QBs IMO
  • DavearamaDavearama Dodds God
    If we get him, great, let him compete and see what happens. I think we've got three pretty good prospects right here in Oxford. If he starts and one leaves so be it. 

If Mayer wins out Williamson may be gone anyway.Everybody wants to play, especially, it seems, all star QB's. For almost any player moving on is just part of the deal and we shouldn't take it personally. It's not about they don't like Miami, it's not about the coach (though most of you out there would find that hard to believe), it's about seeing the writing on the wall (two years on the pine) and just want to go somewhere that they might play. 

Just like Brandon is doing in leaving Michigan for the same reason. 
    agc
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum

Too many QBs IMO

Looks like greggie hacked into Chuck's account and is posting as thechuck_2112.
    dave67
  • D_DayD_Day Senior Barfly

Too many QBs IMO

Looks like greggie hacked into Chuck's account and is posting as thechuck_2112.
    Don't forget, we are allowed 85 quarterbacks on scholarship.
    Professor_Fate
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    Any idea when a decision will be made?
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    Disregard - just saw that Oliver is going to Iowa in USAToday. He has to sit out a year so that is good for MU this year.