Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Women's World Cup

Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
USA leading Thailand 3-0 41 mins into the first half, Sweden beat Chile 2-0 earlier today as the other group game. This is the final day of round one.

Comments

• Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Dominating first half. Cincinnati product Rose Lavelle with her first world cup goal!
    CMHskins
  • MazMaz Off-Campus Slummer
    In case you blinked ... now its 6-0.
    Um ... I mean 7-0.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    People will give them shit for pouring it on..but given that Sweden is in our group, who knocked the US out of the Olympics, it may come down to goal differential at the end for who gets the 1 seed out of the group.
    Alex Morgan with the HT ... 8-0.
    Lord Jeebus ... 10-0. 4 goals for Morgan.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    12-0. I think their goal differential will be okay for group play. 
    Bash_Riprock
    TruckCrew said:

12-0. I think their goal differential will be okay for group play. 

Alex Morgan's goal differential is looking good for group play. 5 goals ... 
    13-0 final.  Ouch, babe.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Brian McCann is fuming.
    TruckCrew
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    I don't know what they were supposed to do. Have the other team chase them the entire second half? People despised 4 corners for just that reason. Plus doing that doesn't benefit your team at all, it just makes everyone tired and frustrated. I saw every goal and to me it seemed the other team just sucked. If they're that bad they shouldn't be in the tournament. I think the coach could've taken best two out after they went up 4, 5, or 6, but until then you have to worry. And I didn't think the celebrating was that out of hand either. It's not like they were getting in people's faces and shouting loser at them.
    JiveHawk
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Goal differential matters in the group stage, so make hay while the sun shines.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    I was glad they didn't ease up, but I thought the celebrations were pretty over the top.  They celebrated goal #11 like they had just won the whole tournament.  They should be embarrassed. 
    TruckCrewDICKmooseCAredhawk13
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    They’re playing in the World Cup, some for the first time, some for the only time.

Live it up, I say.
    CAredhawk13
    That was Pugh's first-ever World Cup goal. They rightly went crazy celebrating someone's first goal.
    JiveHawkCAredhawk13
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I turned it off after 3-0 as it was non competitive.  In any other sport, after a certain point in a noncompetitive game, you clear your bench but let the subs keep playing hard and trying to score.  I don't know substitution rules in soccer.  Do you have another whole team on the bench?  Can you take all your starters out?  Why is Alex Morgan still playing when the game is a complete blowout??
    CycloneAl
    DICK said:

I turned it off after 3-0 as it was non competitive.  In any other sport, after a certain point in a noncompetitive game, you clear your bench but let the subs keep playing hard and trying to score.  I don't know substitution rules in soccer.  Do you have another whole team on the bench?  Can you take all your starters out?  Why is Alex Morgan still playing when the game is a complete blowout??

You are allowed only three subs.
    DICKCAredhawk13

DICK said:

You are allowed only three subs.
    Three, as Chuck mentioned. We used all three, put in offensive subs, which I LOVED, so they get some experience before the tougher games in a week or two. No one on D needed to be subbed out since they didn't have much work to do...
    dave67
    edited June 12

That was Pugh's first-ever World Cup goal. They rightly went crazy celebrating someone's first goal.

Cmon Chuck.  Mallory Pugh was not awarded a spot on this roster out of pity.  She is a good soccer player who the USWNT will be counting on for years. The USWNT celebrated her goal like she was a high school basketball player with downs syndrome who was awarded minutes at the end of a game.

Act like you've been there.

Cmon Chuck.  Mallory Pugh was not awarded a spot on this roster out of pity.  She is a good soccer player who the USWNT will be counting on for years. The USWNT celebrated her goal like she was a high school basketball player with downs syndrome who was awarded minutes at the end of a game.

But she hasn't been there...I think that's the point. Getting your first goal in a world cup is huge. Rapinoe, over the top, but hard to check emotions. Again, this team sat in a hotel for a week while other teams played, knowing that the team that knocked them out of the Olympics was in the group. And for all the Canadian's bitching about the score on TSN and such, Canada beat Cuba 12-0 less than a year ago, then Panama 7-0 in the semis, where GD doesn't matter.

Blame FIFA for not having a GD cap for games.
    JiveHawkskin66dave67
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    No one cries when our loser men's team gets crushed 20-0 every game to some tiny island nation while failing to qualify.
    Professor_Fategrumpy1
    edited June 12
    Spanks004 said:

But she hasn't been there...I think that's the point. Getting your first goal in a world cup is huge. Rapinoe, over the top, but hard to check emotions. Again, this team sat in a hotel for a week while other teams played, knowing that the team that knocked them out of the Olympics was in the group. And for all the Canadian's bitching about the score on TSN and such, Canada beat Cuba 12-0 less than a year ago, then Panama 7-0 in the semis, where GD doesn't matter.

NO issue with running up the score.  Should've scored 20 if they could've.  They probably should have.  I actually haven't seen many people upset with the score line.  It's about the celebrations that were so absurd and ridiculous that each girl would be fined if they played in the NFL.

It was pretty uncomfortable watching them.

Germay men just beat Estonia in a Euro qualifier 8-0.  They stopped celebrating after goal 2.  
    ----------------------

Check out Canada's 12-0 goal and compare it to Rapinoe running around the field with airplane wings

https://mobile.twitter.com/foxsoccer/status/1138547110079369216

If given the choice between a little (arguably) excessive celebration in the womens' game and the typical histrionic-inducing "fouls" in the mens' game, I'd take the womens' game.

Spanks004 said:

NO issue with running up the score.  Should've scored 20 if they could've.  They probably should have.  I actually haven't seen many people upset with the score line.  It's about the celebrations that were so absurd and ridiculous that each girl would be fined if they played in the NFL.

Germay men just beat Estonia in a Euro qualifier 8-0.  They stopped celebrating after goal 2.  
    ----------------------

Check out Canada's 12-0 goal and compare it to Rapinoe running around the field with airplane wings

Spanks004 said:

----------------------

I've said Rapinoe was over the top, the others were hugging, clapping, etc...this was the 12th goal in a world cup QUALIFYING game...so celebrations will be different regardless. Pugh ran and jumped in the arms of teammates...whoaaa

I generally think ALYBT should be reserved for people who have actually been there. If there’s a celebration like that the next time she scores, then I may look askance at it. But the first one? Nah.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum

I generally think ALYBT should be reserved for people who have actually been there. If there’s a celebration like that the next time she scores, then I may look askance at it. But the first one? Nah.
    Has she scored s goal before? Is this her first lifetime goal?

Have some sense of the moment and some class and some sportsmanship and ALYBT.

JiveHawkCycloneAl
    This is the World Cup. It ain't tiddlywinks. If it's your first ever World Cup goal, go absolutely bat-shit insane bonkers.

DISCLOSURE: I think Randall "Thrill" Hill's celebration at the Cotton Bowl was the best thing ever, and I think MLB players should ostentatiously flip their bats on every home run.
    TruckCrewJiveHawkgrumpy1
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    I don't read Thai, so I can't see what their media has said about this, but it seems like the Thai team mostly took 13-0 as some growing pains and a gut check about what it takes to play against the best teams in the world.  The quotes I saw in the English language press reminded me of how Angola reacted to playing the US men's basketball dream team.  Thailand has at least one winnable game in the group (Chile), and hopefully they'll do that.

Oh, and for what it's worth, this Thai team beat Indonesia 13-0 in a regional tournament last year.  Runaway scorelines in world football happen occasionally.  

• JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Prodesse Quam Conspici
    AORedHawk33