Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Boston

redbear18redbear18 Havighurstite
Hey all,

I'm going to spend the next week (Fly out Sunday, June 9, 2019; Fly back Saturday morning, June 15, 2019) in Boston, MA. Never been there. I've been told to do the tour of Fenway, and we'll most likely attend a game on Monday or Tuesday. We'll probably also do the Freedom Trail on Sunday. Any suggestions? Particularly with bars or restaurants? Thanks!

Comments

• The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Uhhhhhhh depends on if you like to walk for awareness of straight people.
    redhawk11grumpy1Bash_RiprockQuinoaburgerLove_and_HonorTruckCrew
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Myers+Chang in the South End is AMAZING
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    Faneuil Hall.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Cask n Flagon
    Mc Greveys

There are bars all around Fenway. Some around the basketball arena also. Faneuil Hall is a fun area to walk and eat around. The “real” Cheers is across the street from the Gardens. I spent a lot of time downtown waiting for my son to get off work or meet him for lunch.
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    Union Oyster House. It's on the Freedom Trail.

• DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    Now that the days are long, spending an evening in the North End (Boston's traditional Italian neighborhood) would be really pleasant.  You could work in dinner at one of the classic local spots like Trattoria Il Panino, a stroll through the neighborhood past the Old North Church and along the waterfront, and then a late dessert at Mike's Pastry or Caffe Vittoria.  
    Bash_Riprock
  • 90skin90skin Senior Barfly
    Been a while, but agree with DevilGrad.  We just wandered that neighborhood and went into a place for dinner because it smelled great.   Whole in the wall, mom n pop joint.  Actually only saw mama.  Great wine selection - red or white.  Served out of the jug into regular water glasses.  Dinner was fabulous, and reasonably priced..  Trust your nose and enjoy.
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    If you can, find a candlepin bowling alley and have frustrating fun for a couple of hours!
  • SycBrownSycBrown Dodds God
    edited June 8
    I recall doing the freedom trail on a Sunday and regretting it because most of the sites along the trail were closed.
  • redbear18redbear18 Havighurstite
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. Much appreciated
  • miamiguy68miamiguy68 Summer Orientee
    Just saw your post. Don't know if you'll see this 'cause you're already in Boston. If you get to Faneuil Hall, take a walk over to the Marriott Custom House ( it's a timeshare property on the street adjacent) and see when they allow visitors to go up on the catwalk at the top of the property ( about 20 stories)...great  360 view of downtown, the harbor, north end, seaport district etc. There is a charge ($10 bucks or so) that goes to charity. 
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Or, buy a timeshare and go up for free.!
    grumpy1skin66
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    Tonight might be a crazy time to be in the city.
    muhawk said:

Tonight might be a crazy time to be in the city.

Here's hoping. Get the picture of Kuraly ready to hang in Goggin. :)
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I was talking with another Miami hockey fan on Sunday and our discussion was do you want Kuraly to win more than you want Boston to lose.  We both are pulling for the Blues.
    Love_and_HonorChrisW1980
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Kuraly has a whole career ahead of him, hopefully a long and successful one. Us Blues fans have waited over 50 years for a Stanley Cup. He can wait, especially when the alternative is Boston winning again.
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    DICK said:

I was talking with another Miami hockey fan on Sunday and our discussion was do you want Kuraly to win more than you want Boston to lose.  We both are pulling for the Blues.

Everything else being equal, I root for the team with the Miamian.
    dave67
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    grumpy1 said:

DICK said:

Everything else being equal, I root for the team with the Miamian.
    I certainly agree with that, but we did not feel all things were equal, very tired of Boston winning.
    redhawk11
  • 90skin90skin Senior Barfly
    Second year in a row, the Stanley Cup winner play by play announcer is a Miami alum.  

Coincidence????
    dave67
    90skin said:

Second year in a row, the Stanley Cup winner play by play announcer is a Miami alum.  

Coincidence????

?
    No coincidence, he'll be inducted into the Broadcast Hall of Fame next week.
  • D_DayD_Day Senior Barfly
    edited June 14

Technically, the play-by-play for 18 NHL finals have been announced by a Miami grad.

Mike “Doc” Emrick!

• JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    D_Day said:

Technically, the play-by-play for 18 NHL finals have been announced by a Miami grad.

Mike “Doc” Emrick!

For NBC. The teams broadcaster is a Miami grad though, same as the Caps last year. Hopefully he brings the cup to Oxford as well.