Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019 MLB thread

Comments

• The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

Edwin Encarnacion on the move - to the Yankees.

And when Judge and Stanton come back - holy toledo they'll have some power. 
    DINGERS. Not really sure why they did this but he was going somewhere and better to us than someone else.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    In my lifetime I would estimate I have attended 7-800 mlb games.  In that time I have seen a straight steal of home once. I had a good view as I had moved down into about the 10th row between home and third and Paul Molitor stole home against the Indians in Municipal Stadium....Anyway, watching the Reds and Indians this weekend on TV, I saw two steals of home.  One was by Odor of Texas at Cincy, the other was by Martin of the Indians in Detroit.  Usually I can watch games all season and never see one.  I think the infield shifts make it more possible.  If a left hand hitter is batting and the defense puts 3 IF's on the right side, the third baseman has a lot of ground to cover and if he moves over towards SS the runner can get a huge lead.  That has to be right up there for the most exciting play in baseball.
    moose
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    J Robinson esque
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    In 5 games since being called up from AAA Round Rock, the Astros’ Yordan Alvarez is batting .381 with 4 homers, 8 RBI’s, and a 1.471 OPS.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Blackbird said:

In 5 games since being called up from AAA Round Rock, the Astros’ Yordan Alvarez is batting .381 with 4 homers, 8 RBI’s, and a 1.471 OPS.

Springer and Correa are out though.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

Blackbird said:

Altuve too. And they haven’t missed a beat.
    DICK said:

Blackbird said:

Altuve too. And they haven’t missed a beat.
    Until they ran into a buzzsaw in Cincinnati. ;)

Relax people, it's a joke. 
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:
    Now people won’t go to Rays games in two cities instead of one!!!
    Quinoaburger
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum

TruckCrew said:
    The plan also calls for new stadiums in both cities. Hard to see any chance of this going sideways.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

TruckCrew said:
    The plan also calls for new stadiums in both cities. Hard to see any chance of this going sideways.
    This is how they get the franchise to move to either Charlotte or Nashville.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    I'm sure the people of Tampa will love to have their taxes increased to pay for a stadium that hosts 41 games a year.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

TruckCrew said:
    Vegas?
    Charlotte would be my pick though.

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited June 20
    I can't take credit for this, heard it on talk radio today.  Suggested new nickname would be the       X-Rays.
    Re6H5wk
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Off-Campus Slummer

TruckCrew said:
    Portland also an option.

• JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Mexico City Wall Jumpers.
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    Montreal. Franchise actually did well there until the stadium became such a dognap the owner no longer was going to invest in it. The stadium issues there were never ending with a facility that was never really designed for baseball. 

Iam4hawks said:

Montreal. Franchise actually did well there until the stadium became such a dognap the owner no longer was going to invest in it. The stadium issues there were never ending with a facility that was never really designed for baseball. 

What year did the stadium start to fall apart?

• MazMaz Senior Barfly
    Iam4hawks said:

<- Native (suburban) Washingtonian who grew up a Expos fan (long story).

The Expos had, at times, great teams and were, at times, supported very well in Montreal.  It is a crime what the ownership did to that team.  A HS friend that played a bit of MLB told me that Olympic Stadium was one of the 3 worst he had played in at ANY level (the other 2 being Pawtucket and Richmond). If nothing else, the turf on the field was legendarily awful and made it next to impossible to sign or retain free agents.  Hell, the effect that turf had on Andre Dawson's career was a crime against humanity. Look at the talent that they had in the '90s ... Pedro, Vlad, Moises, Larry Walker, Marquis Grissom, Mike Lansing, Cliff Floyd, John Wetteland, Rondell White, Delino Deshields, Mike Lansing ... great (at least solid) players they could not keep because of crap ownership and a shitty stadium.  And, don't get me started about cancelling the WS, Jeffry Loria and MLB's ownership in the early 2000s.  Bottom line: you can't blame the MTL fans for the failure of the team. They deserve another team, with better ownership and a better stadium

Having said all that, when the Expos finally moved to DC, it was one of the greatest days of my life.
    redhawk11DICKLove_and_HonorBash_Riprock
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

Iam4hawks said:

Shortly after the closing ceremonies.

• BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    I started watching the Pirates-Astros game last night in the top of the ninth, with the score 8-1 Pirates.  Astros Manager A.J. Hinch clearly decided the bullpen was too stressed, so he brought in first baseman Tyler White to pitch.  White gave up six runs, including two homers, recorded only two outs, and the Pirates batted around.  Hinch pulled him, apologized to him, and then selected as the next pitcher . . . catcher Max Stassi!  Stassi got the final out.  The final score was 14 to 2.  It was White's fifth appearance on the mound this year, and the first time in Astros' history that two position players pitched in the same game.  Not good for White's ERA!
    redhawk11
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Meanwhile, Russell Martin pitched a 1-2-3 inning last night in the Dodgers' loss.
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    edited June 27

redhawk11 said:

Iam4hawks said:

Shortly after the closing ceremonies.

August 1986: Explosions and fire in unfinished tower interrupt Expos game. Nobody injured but game is rescheduled.

April 1987: Kevlar roof completed and installed.

June 1989: Roof lining rips during tractor pull, forcing evacuation of about 8,000 people.

June 1991: Roof tears during wind storm, leaving hole of 30 meters by 15 meters.

September 1991: Fifty-five-ton beam crashes to the ground, closing stadium for 94 days. No one hurt.

January 1994: Interior wall collapses. No one hurt.

January 1998: Ice damages stadium roof, sending snow and water onto floor and forcing cancellation of two Rolling Stones concerts.

May 1998: Kevlar roof sold for $1 to company specializing in research and development of industrial machinery. Fixed roof installed.

January 1999: Section of roof tears and rains down pieces along with ice and snow on 200 people preparing for an auto show. Five people slightly injured.

And it was just never really designed for baseball, most of the upper deck outfield seats were so high and so far from the action they were useless. Even a refurbishing of the place, that I think decreased its capacity by about 20,000 never really made it feel more like a ball park. The Expos, even though it was known they'd be the main tenants were never consulted in the design or location of the stadium. 

• The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Bow down to The Martian.
    Holy Home Run Derby.
    That was fun.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    That baseball is wound really tight.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

That baseball is wound really tight.

Verlander, that you?
    Quinoaburger
    If you had Homer Bailey as a desired trade deadline acquisition then you win. 
    Re6H5wk
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    I added him to one of my Fantasy rosters a few days ago, and dropped him the day he was set to pitch (effective the next day). Just a wasted transaction.