Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Phil Steele Preview

Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
Picks us to finish second in the East with no bowl (FWIW he picked us to make a bowl the previous two years so take that for what it's worth), behind an OU team he says will win the MAC. Of 130 teams in the FBS he put us at 101 in the overall power rankings, 111 in experience, but with the 62nd most difficult schedule (second-highest in the MAC).

1st Team All-MAC for WR Sorenson, DT Costin, KR Thomas, and LS Crabtree; 2nd for LB Reid; 3rd for OL Godlevske, LaRubbio, and Doyle; 4th for CB Rugamba, K Sloman, and P Kramer. However, of all MAC teams he puts our QB roster dead last and RB second-to-last; aside from LB at 7th, all other positions are 5th or above (including coaching staff, don't laugh).

Comments

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    We have gone 16-8 the last 3 seasons in the MAC, so the staff should get some credit.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    It's so random to predict this early, especially college athletics, where youth, enthusiasm,and hormones lead to sometime unusual and unpredictable results.

GO REDHAWKS!
    Nescacdad
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    Who in the MAC has a more difficult schedule than Miami?
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Kent State, maybe (Arizona State, Auburn, Wisconsin).
    Nescacdad
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

Agree...and you beat me to it.
    Renmanco said:

Though it is debatable. UC and ASU are probably on par, OSU/Iowa are close to par versus Auburn/Wisconsin.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

Renmanco said:

Though it is debatable. UC and ASU are probably on par, OSU/Iowa are close to par versus Auburn/Wisconsin.
    Perhaps the difference is that we get to play Kent while they have to play us.
    DICK said:

Renmanco said:

Perhaps the difference is that we get to play Kent while they have to play us.
    Touche. They draw Toledo and EMU from the West while we're getting NIU and WMU (both have Ball State), probably a wash in that regard.

Interested in how OSU turns out under Ryan Day. They'll get Florida Atlantic and UC in non-conference play plus IU before us, a week before going on the road against Nebraska. Maybe we'll win the first quarter 3-0 like under Treadwell!!!
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    2nd this year would be very good. No bowl based on the brutal schedule. 
    mollautt
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    =>OOC is 3 unwinnable games and 1 can't lose game (Tenn Tech was awful last year by FCS standards). If Miami is the best team in the MAC or the worst team in the MAC, we will still go 1-3 out of conference.
    Nescacdad
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    If we were truly the best team in the MAC, we would probably give UC a good challenge, like we did against top 25 Army last year.
    DICK said:

If we were truly the best team in the MAC, we would probably give UC a good challenge, like we did against top 25 Army last year.

=>We still lose. We always lose. We are losers. Our own coach recognizes even the fan base, all 7 of us, are losers. Considering climate change will end the world in 12 years, I am certain we will never beat UC again.

ChiefPanicDICKMoHawkFraggleHawk
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    I think it is hard to evaluate any team that will be fielding a new QB. Especially a new QB who hasn't taken any live college snaps yet. Be it Mayer, Williamson, Gabbert or whomever we will be very young and untested at QB. So I have no issue with wherever these teams place us. The good thing is whoever is at QB will have a pretty experienced, and by all accounts of the preseason prognosticators, a pretty good OL. That is a plus. 
  • Miami_Oh_YeahMiami_Oh_Yeah Havighurstite
    Our schedule ensures we start 1-3 and kills any enthusiasm and hope for the season and then they will wonder why nobody comes to home games.  We are either playing LIU Post, Pine Bluff, Tenn Tech OR....  we are already 1-5 with EMU trotting into town. 

Athletic Director is terrible.
  • IdiotfanIdiotfan Dodds God

Our schedule ensures we start 1-3 and kills any enthusiasm and hope for the season and then they will wonder why nobody comes to home games.  We are either playing LIU Post, Pine Bluff, Tenn Tech OR....  we are already 1-5 with EMU trotting into town. 

I believe the mac schedules the conference games. But what do i no. I’m just an idiot.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

Those OOC games were scheduled before Sayler even took the job.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    JiveHawk said:

Those OOC games were scheduled before Sayler even took the job.
    Nobody loves to blame Brad Bates for scheduling more than me but i dont think that is close to true. I think every non conference
    game this year was scheduled by Sayler. For sure the FCS and UC games. I am 95% sure Ohio State was added under DS. I am 75% sure Iowa was under DS
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Per FBS future schedule website. Ohio State was added in 2017 and Iowa was 2013 - the UC series was recently announced (maybe last year) as was the FCS
    Bash_RiprockDICK
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    $$$$$$$ Someone needs to pay for the impending Millett Hall demolition and complete renovation!
    Nickskin

2019 Miami University Football Schedule

2019 Preseason Prediction: 6-6
    2019 Preseason MAC Prediction: 5-3

Aug. 31 at Iowa L
    Sept. 7 Tennessee Tech W
    Sept. 14 at Cincinnati L
    Sept. 21 at Ohio State L
    Sept. 28 Buffalo W
    Oct. 5 OPEN DATE
    Oct. 12 at Western Michigan L
    Oct. 19 Northern Illinois W
    Oct. 26 at Kent State W
    Nov. 2 OPEN DATE
    Nov. 6 at Ohio L
    Nov. 13 Bowling Green W
    Nov. 20 Akron W
    Nov. 29 at Ball State L

• Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    I just don't see us losing to Ball State. Our defensive backfield could be tops in the MAC this year, and overall D will be solid. Big questions on offense obviously.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    So, why even play? DUH, screw the preDICtors. Let's win 'em all.! O:)
    Above from College Football News.
    =>4-8/3-5 will be Miami's football record.
    MHT_Meme_Team
  • FootbalheadFootbalhead Havighurstite
    edited June 26
    Western Michigan game is winnable they lost 3 key pieces on offense. We owe them from last year!
    FraggleHawkMUHawk84
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum

Western Michigan games in winnable they lost 3 key pieces on offense. We owe them from last year!

The list of teams we “owe” from the last several years is huge.
    MoHawkDICKJCook32MHT_Meme_Team
    skin66 said:

Western Michigan games in winnable they lost 3 key pieces on offense. We owe them from last year!

The list of teams we “owe” from the last several years is huge.
    =>We owe too many FCS teams.

CMHskins
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    edited July 10
    Noting a schedule comparison made above, I don’t think I’d sleep on UC this season if I were Ohio State. UC has made amazing progress under Fickell since we gifted them their last win in Oxford.