Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Women's World Cup

Comments

• mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    skin66 said:

Blackbird said:

grumpy1 said:

Blackbird said:

elpalito said:

dave67 said:

mollautt said:

dave67 said:

Politics aside, Rapinoe and Trump are more alike than they are different. Both are very brash, outspoken, and seemingly have no filter.

One puts their hand on their heart for the national anthem, and one doesn't.
    Which doesn't make a god damn bit of difference.

=>Symbolism over substance. Irrelevant in the end.

That said, poor form to protest during the national anthem when playing for your national team. Much different than doing that crap during a club match.

This
    Nah. If you're going to protest peacefully, do it where your message will be most widely viewed.

I admit to a bias: The caskets of my father and several friends were covered with the US flag at their burials. Nobody has a right to protest at work; Given that she has been allowed to do this at her workplace, I question not her right to do so, but her judgment: Rapinoe’s virtue signaling will make many people less interested in supporting the US team. Whether she is right or wrong, she has placed her own ego above the team. It’s not as if there aren’t plenty of sympathetic media outlets who would be happy to give her a megaphone outside the games.
    Once again, it's not about the flag or patriotism.

Then why kneel while the flag is honored? Also, the flag is not Trump.

Well, I certainly do not want to kneel in front of ANY president or leader. (Not political, just a dumb joke).
    =>Quotes Monica never made by @skin66.

skin66AORedHawk33MUHawk84JiveHawkRe6H5wk
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    edited June 29
    Blackbird said:

grumpy1 said:

Blackbird said:

elpalito said:

dave67 said:

mollautt said:

dave67 said:

Politics aside, Rapinoe and Trump are more alike than they are different. Both are very brash, outspoken, and seemingly have no filter.

One puts their hand on their heart for the national anthem, and one doesn't.
    Which doesn't make a god damn bit of difference.

=>Symbolism over substance. Irrelevant in the end.

That said, poor form to protest during the national anthem when playing for your national team. Much different than doing that crap during a club match.

This
    Nah. If you're going to protest peacefully, do it where your message will be most widely viewed.

I admit to a bias: The caskets of my father and several friends were covered with the US flag at their burials. Nobody has a right to protest at work; Given that she has been allowed to do this at her workplace, I question not her right to do so, but her judgment: Rapinoe’s virtue signaling will make many people less interested in supporting the US team. Whether she is right or wrong, she has placed her own ego above the team. It’s not as if there aren’t plenty of sympathetic media outlets who would be happy to give her a megaphone outside the games.
    Once again, it's not about the flag or patriotism.

Then why kneel while the flag is honored?
    Because a former NFL player and Army Green Beret vet with multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan (Nate Boyer) suggested that it would be an appropriate form of protest.

• BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    I also served, and several of his former Green Beret colleagues have said his position on this issue is a disgrace.  Notwithstanding that, the bottom line is that he's entitled to his opinion, as we all are.  As I said, I question not Rapinoe's right to do this, but her judgment.  There are many avenues she could have pursued to make her point without taking actions that many people, including me, are offended by.  The flag symbolizes something far bigger than Rapinoe, Donald Trump, or anyone else.  

This issue also highlights the infection of every part of life (academia, music, sports, TV, movies, etc.) by politics.  But that is a different discussion.
    EDDIEAORedHawk33
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Okay. That’s enough of this discussion. If folks want to talk about political protests, there’s a whole big internet out there.
    skin66
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    "The lady doth protest too much, me thinks."  Slick Willy Shakespeare once said. :)
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Actually my comments were based on the controversy of Repinoe saying in answer to a direct question that she would not be part of a White House visit if the women won the World Cup and the Presidents twitter replies.  I had read or heard noting about an anthem protest.  I do not know what in particular that is about.
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum
    How about those Germans, huh? They looked absolutely clueless today.
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    bpat said:

How about those Germans, huh? They looked absolutely clueless today.

Pregame beer and brats will do that to you.
    bpatskin66
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    "I had read or heard noting about an anthem protest. I do not know what in particular that is about."

She knelt three years ago while almost everyone (or everyone. I'm not sure) else stood.
    DICK
    Really, let’s just stick to the soccer please.
    Quinoaburger
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

Really, let’s just stick to the soccer please.

Oh you'd like that, wouldn't you, comrade?
    redhawk11Bash_RiprockAORedHawk33thechuck_2112Blackbirdagcelpalitomollauttaba222
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum

Spanks004 said:

Tomorrow’s game could be the most watched women’s game ever in the US...many other countries have broken records throughout tournament in terms of viewership.

25.4 million watched the 2015 final against Japan. They're not going to beat that at 3:00 ET on a workday.
    6.3 million is the early number for the quarterfinal.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    edited June 30
    Spanks004 said:

Tomorrow’s game could be the most watched women’s game ever in the US...many other countries have broken records throughout tournament in terms of viewership.

Add it to the list!!!!! @quinoaburger
    redhawk11Quinoaburger
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

Spanks004 said:

25.4 million watched the 2015 final against Japan. They're not going to beat that at 3:00 ET on a workday.
    6.3 million is the early number for the quarterfinal.
    The largest television gathering of USWNT fans in history. They gave up the next World Cups for this opportunity.
    Bash_RiprockAORedHawk33
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Eh whatever, still crushed previous quarters from the last two WCs that had more prime time slots. https://deadline.com/2019/06/us-women-world-cup-france-fox-ratings-record-1202639971/
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Rapinoe, with four goals over the last two games, not in the starting lineup vs England. Mewis is out as well in favor of Horan. Ellis might be looking for more speed/help with defense to start the game...assuming Rapinoe comes in shortly after half.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    USA up 2-1 on England, late in first half
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    Forget Trump, we need to discuss imperial colonization and fair tea prices per Alex Morgan...
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited July 2
    Rapinoe evidently out with an unnamed injury.  Up 2-1 early in second half.  Hamstring?
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Hopefully this World Cup is the end of the VAR experiment.
    aba222
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited July 2
    Another 2-1 winner.  England had the tieing goal taken away on offsides, then also missed a penalty kick.
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

Rapinoe evidently out with an unnamed injury.  Up 2-1 early in second half.  Hamstring?

Hamstring I heard
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    bpat said:

DICK said:

Hamstring I heard
    Probably from taking a---------------(OK, Chuck, I won't finish)

Sackman would love to cash in on USA +325 to win it all that he made 5 weeks ago.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    We play the Netherlands for the championship.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

We play the Netherlands for the championship.

FINALLY! I get to use this!

DICKDevilGrad
    edited July 5
    Stop posting about Megan Rapinoe’s politics or comments on gender issues or what have you. Stop. Stop. Stop.
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum

Stop posting about Megan Rapinoe’s politics or comments on gender issues or what have you. Stop. Stop. Stop.

=>Tell that to her.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    Okay. I’ll ask her not to post to MiamiHawkTalk.
    redhawk11mollauttQuinoaburgerBash_RiprockAORedHawk33DICKelpalito
    She can say whatever the hell she wants. She just can’t say it on MHT.
    I wasn't kidding, folks. There's a whole big Internet out there.