Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Women's World Cup

12346»

Comments

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    When you look at comparative scores, the championship games looks pretty even, which is very different than what Vegas or other experts say.  US beat Sweden 2-1 and England 2-1.  Sweden beat England 2-1 and the Netherlands beat Sweden 2-1.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    0-0 at the half.  US had some good opportunities but the goalkeeper made some nice saves.  Netherlands got a couple of attempts late in the half.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    2-0 USA.  Penalty kick by Rapinoe and an open field run by Lavelle both early in the second half.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum

I wasn't kidding, folks. There's a whole big Internet out there.

I've not seen much in this thread lately. Are you deleting them?
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Aggressively.
    Re6H5wkagc
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    What a great game! Lavelle’s goal was a thing of beauty. Though it was touch and go on whether the ref was going to let people actually kill one another at times.
    AORedHawk33QuinoaburgerRe6H5wkMowchDSnyder15
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Way to go, ladies! U-S-A! U-S-A!
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Great team.
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    =>I want to have Rose Lavelle's baby.

Rapinoe's hardware award to her today:

1. Golden Ball trophy
    2. Golden Boot trophy
    3. Player of the Match trophy
    4. WC Champion Gold Medal
    5. World Cup team trophy
    thechuck_2112Bash_RiprockDICK
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Rose Lavelle was fantastic. Plays the game a little quicker than everyone else.

Can her and Pulisic procreate for the good of the next generation of US national teams?
    mollauttthechuck_2112MowchDICK90skin
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Rose Lavelle of Cincinnati, Ohio and Mount Notre Dame High School. She started her professional career with the Dayton Dutch Lions.

Lavelle and Heath almost look like they're playing a totally different game than everyone else.
    AORedHawk33profholt82Re6H5wkMowchD_DayDSnyder15

Rose Lavelle was fantastic. Plays the game a little quicker than everyone else.

Can her and Pulisic procreate for the good of the next generation of US national teams?

Send them to that sketchy Miami clinic where Ronaldo got himself cloned.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    I honestly think Lavelle or even Sauerbrunn was the real MVP of the tournament. Happy for Rapinoe to get it, most likely due to her 6 goals (three from PKs though). Lavelle, outside of the game against France, was incredible.
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    It seemed like this tournament had a high number of PK attempts overall. Is that typical?
    elpalito said:

It seemed like this tournament had a high number of PK attempts overall. Is that typical?

Not sure, but agree there seemed to be a lot. Curious to know how many were confirmed by VAR that otherwise would have gone unnoticed (like the US one yesterday with the boot to the chest area).
    Spanks004 said:

I honestly think Lavelle or even Sauerbrunn was the real MVP of the tournament. Happy for Rapinoe to get it, most likely due to her 6 goals (three from PKs though). Lavelle, outside of the game against France, was incredible.

Julie Ertz and Crystal Dunn were really good too.
    DSnyder15dave67

Spanks004 said:

Tomorrow’s game could be the most watched women’s game ever in the US...many other countries have broken records throughout tournament in terms of viewership.

25.4 million watched the 2015 final against Japan. They're not going to beat that at 3:00 ET on a workday.
    6.3 million is the early number for the quarterfinal.
    7 million for the semifinal and 19 million for the final.
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

3 from PK, 1 from direct kick.  and 1 from a great cross by Heath where she just had to kick it in.  I like her game but5 of thee 6 goals are not as impressive as others.  80% of PKs (non-shootout) are successful...she would have had 4 less goals had they chosen another player to take those kicks.

Crystal Dunn was the MVP in my opinion.  They challenged her and she stood tall...well as tall as she could at 5.1.  Ertz was really good too.  I think Morgan did not have a great tournament.  Can't believe she lost the ball to the goalie on a great 2nd half attempt.  DRIBBLE...not kick and chase. 
    DSnyder15 said:

Spanks004 said:

3 from PK, 1 from direct kick.  and 1 from a great cross by Heath where she just had to kick it in.  I like her game but5 of thee 6 goals are not as impressive as others.  80% of PKs (non-shootout) are successful...she would have had 4 less goals had they chosen another player to take those kicks.

Crystal Dunn was the MVP in my opinion.  They challenged her and she stood tall...well as tall as she could at 5.1.  Ertz was really good too.  I think Morgan did not have a great tournament.  Can't believe she lost the ball to the goalie on a great 2nd half attempt.  DRIBBLE...not kick and chase. 
    Agree on Dunn...adapted to the new position and shut people down who many thought would beat her. Rapinoe's free kick was nice and perfectly placed, but yea, the PKs you should hit...although England missed all 3 of theirs.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    Missing critical penalty kicks is as English as Trooping the Color, beans on toast, and politicians who didn't realize that Python's "Upper-Class Twit of the Year" sketch was meant to be satire.  
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    Maz said:

Maz-

The story you just told us has absolutely nothing to do with gender equality or expectations of how a male or female should perform. That is a sportsmanship issue.

It sounds like Amanda talked back to the referee, and the ref was not happy about it. Doesn’t matter if it was a bullshit call or not, you don’t talk back to a ref. I take my male and female players out immediately if they talk back to a ref, and they’ll sit if they get a technical foul.

No. If she was a man, the ref either would have given her a red card or let it go. He would not have suggested to the coach that the player needed a little extra parenting.
    I traded messages with Amanda the other day.  She had 8 former players playing in the World Cup for various teams -- at least 3 of those for the US.