Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

7 schools to leave WCHA

2»

Comments

  • BonkBonk Off-Campus Slummer
    edited July 8
    Lurker said:

    Bonk said:

    It's a HUGE factor in kids' decisions! This league is one of the best recruiting tools Miami has.


    Hold this thought.
    Bonk said:

    There are tons of scouts that come out to see NCHC games because of the high level of play.


    Scouts scout other teams in other leagues. Including the WCHA. Scouting is not unique to the NCHC.
    Bonk said:

    I cringe every time I read about how Miami (and Western) should switch for geographic purposes and could be open to that.


    I especially cringe when I read it from Miami alums/fans who should know better.

    Miami is in the best college hockey league in the world, and yeah, the travel isn't ideal,

    We are an FBS school trying to stay relevant in a football arms race. Fortunately we have the best facilities in the MAC. However, as long as we, or any MAC school, want to stay relevant in this arms race, cash will always be king. We have one of the higher athletic budgets in the MAC. We are also towards the top of the MAC in borrowing from the general fund to cover athletic cost overruns. This while the cost of education continues to climb with no end in sight. And while you can dismiss this with a wave of your hand that “the travel isn’t ideal,” I assure you Sayler's fiduciary responsibilities do not allow him to feel this cavalier about the situation. And with year-over-year attendance declining (FFS, BUGS outdrew us this year!) that revenue/cost gap has widened substantially since we joined. Folks, this is not sustainable. While we have benefited greatly from our benefactors, we’re still an FBS MAC school. At the rate we’re going, the cash will eventually run out.
    Bonk said:

    and yeah, the team has struggled the past few years, but does anyone seriously believe that waving a white flag and dropping to a lower league over a couple of extra flights a year will fix this program?


    There are people who seriously believe, probably because they don't watch enough hockey, that Miami's struggles are the result of its shift to the NCHC. 

    Wait. I thought you opened with the league being one the best recruiting tools we have. Every year I read how THIS year the recruits we have are awesome. Read it again this week regarding the USNTDP kids coming in. Mmmmmkaaaaayyyyy, so it’s not the recruits or recruiting, it’s certainly not the facilities, so it must be on-ice coaching. Well, much to my dismay, we just hired a guy with a pedigree for building plodding, defense-only teams in a clutch-and-grab league who now has to adapt that to the NCHC style of play. Then he brings along an assistant responsible for building offenses with, at best, marginal offensive results. Oh…and this is the guy who has a history of not getting his teams to close. This year, BUGS was up 2 goals in the WCHA championship game with 2 minutes to go and lost. And they were up 1 goal with 3 minutes left against Duluth in the NCAA first round and lost. And do I have to remind the group about BU in ’09? And you feel confident this is going to succeed? Mmmmmkaaaaayyyyy……
    Bonk said:

    We should be ECSTATIC that this window of suck has happened while Miami has been in this league. Miami's stock had never been higher when the NCHC was formed, and had Miami had to change conferences now, there's no way it  would've been included in such a power league playing the way it has the past five years.


    Ever read SiouxSports.com? They feel the exact same way about us. The phrase I saw was “Why Miami?” That doesn’t feel good to me.
    Bonk said:

    I just don't understand why for some reason some people don't like Miami being in the best D-1 conference in college hockey by far and want to shift to a lower-tier league over a bad five-year run.


    To date I’ve always been 100% with you regarding being in the NCHC and I’ve loved being in the best conference. Given the circumstances that you lay out, it has unarguably been THE place for us. However, in light of this new opportunity that just presented itself, the circumstances have now changed and the luster of being in the best D1 league simply to be in the league has worn off. We now have a coach with a proven track record of success (well, except for closing the deal) in building a team to compete in this new type of league – a league that will be markedly better after jettisoning all that dead weight. We have a chance to significantly lower our operational costs and while that doesn’t mean much to you, it certainly does to the administration. We have a chance to finally build some rivalries and pack our barn again. 

    If Western is also in, sign me up. 

    Back to lurking.



    The league is the best recruiting tool Miami has and they've still failed the past five years. That's why all five head, assistant and associate coaches that have held their respective positions have been fired the past 16 months.

    I've been at the rink and watch away games on my computer, and believe me, this team has been brutal. 

    Look at the success St. Cloud and UMD have had in this league while Boston College, Boston U. and other traditional powers have floundered. Teams in this league -- overall -- are getting higher-end talent because their kids want to play in this league.

    I've talked to a number of families that have said this.

    And saying I don't care about travel is not accurate. I've said repeatedly that I don't understand why Miami schedules non-conference games at New Hampshire, Maine and Providence when there must be closer, non-flight options. That's what people should be questioning.

    I also have paid for season tickets the last 13 years, and if that cost needs to rise, I'm willing to pay it to see the best college hockey league in the world.

    You make interesting points about the new WCHA but I still think Miami's best path to success is to remain in the NCHC. 
    MowchJiveHawk
  • IdiotfanIdiotfan Dodds God
    Bonk said:

    Lurker said:

    Bonk said:

    It's a HUGE factor in kids' decisions! This league is one of the best recruiting tools Miami has.


    Hold this thought.
    Bonk said:

    There are tons of scouts that come out to see NCHC games because of the high level of play.


    Scouts scout other teams in other leagues. Including the WCHA. Scouting is not unique to the NCHC.
    Bonk said:

    I cringe every time I read about how Miami (and Western) should switch for geographic purposes and could be open to that.


    I especially cringe when I read it from Miami alums/fans who should know better.

    Miami is in the best college hockey league in the world, and yeah, the travel isn't ideal,

    We are an FBS school trying to stay relevant in a football arms race. Fortunately we have the best facilities in the MAC. However, as long as we, or any MAC school, want to stay relevant in this arms race, cash will always be king. We have one of the higher athletic budgets in the MAC. We are also towards the top of the MAC in borrowing from the general fund to cover athletic cost overruns. This while the cost of education continues to climb with no end in sight. And while you can dismiss this with a wave of your hand that “the travel isn’t ideal,” I assure you Sayler's fiduciary responsibilities do not allow him to feel this cavalier about the situation. And with year-over-year attendance declining (FFS, BUGS outdrew us this year!) that revenue/cost gap has widened substantially since we joined. Folks, this is not sustainable. While we have benefited greatly from our benefactors, we’re still an FBS MAC school. At the rate we’re going, the cash will eventually run out.
    Bonk said:

    and yeah, the team has struggled the past few years, but does anyone seriously believe that waving a white flag and dropping to a lower league over a couple of extra flights a year will fix this program?


    There are people who seriously believe, probably because they don't watch enough hockey, that Miami's struggles are the result of its shift to the NCHC. 

    Wait. I thought you opened with the league being one the best recruiting tools we have. Every year I read how THIS year the recruits we have are awesome. Read it again this week regarding the USNTDP kids coming in. Mmmmmkaaaaayyyyy, so it’s not the recruits or recruiting, it’s certainly not the facilities, so it must be on-ice coaching. Well, much to my dismay, we just hired a guy with a pedigree for building plodding, defense-only teams in a clutch-and-grab league who now has to adapt that to the NCHC style of play. Then he brings along an assistant responsible for building offenses with, at best, marginal offensive results. Oh…and this is the guy who has a history of not getting his teams to close. This year, BUGS was up 2 goals in the WCHA championship game with 2 minutes to go and lost. And they were up 1 goal with 3 minutes left against Duluth in the NCAA first round and lost. And do I have to remind the group about BU in ’09? And you feel confident this is going to succeed? Mmmmmkaaaaayyyyy……
    Bonk said:

    We should be ECSTATIC that this window of suck has happened while Miami has been in this league. Miami's stock had never been higher when the NCHC was formed, and had Miami had to change conferences now, there's no way it  would've been included in such a power league playing the way it has the past five years.


    Ever read SiouxSports.com? They feel the exact same way about us. The phrase I saw was “Why Miami?” That doesn’t feel good to me.
    Bonk said:

    I just don't understand why for some reason some people don't like Miami being in the best D-1 conference in college hockey by far and want to shift to a lower-tier league over a bad five-year run.


    To date I’ve always been 100% with you regarding being in the NCHC and I’ve loved being in the best conference. Given the circumstances that you lay out, it has unarguably been THE place for us. However, in light of this new opportunity that just presented itself, the circumstances have now changed and the luster of being in the best D1 league simply to be in the league has worn off. We now have a coach with a proven track record of success (well, except for closing the deal) in building a team to compete in this new type of league – a league that will be markedly better after jettisoning all that dead weight. We have a chance to significantly lower our operational costs and while that doesn’t mean much to you, it certainly does to the administration. We have a chance to finally build some rivalries and pack our barn again. 

    If Western is also in, sign me up. 

    Back to lurking.



    The league is the best recruiting tool Miami has and they've still failed the past five years. That's why all five head, assistant and associate coaches that have held their respective positions have been fired the past 16 months.

    I've been at the rink and watch away games on my computer, and believe me, this team has been brutal. 

    Look at the success St. Cloud and UMD have had in this league while Boston College, Boston U. and other traditional powers have floundered. Teams in this league -- overall -- are getting higher-end talent because their kids want to play in this league.

    I've talked to a number of families that have said this.
    Me thinks that Bawston Cawlege has flounded cause of Brad Bates.

    But what do i know.  I'm just an idiot
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum

    MUHawk84 said:

    leaving the NCHC and all its benefits for a startup league would be a Brad Bates-type terrible decision.  TV, Prestige, Recruiting, all lost in a blink of an eye.  No way Saylor and the Miami Prez that flippin' stupid.

    How long you've been a Miami fan, bro?
    are you just a fan?  or have you left some actual sweat equity out there?
    If you were a Miami student-athlete, given the funding sources for our athletics program, the first and most appropriate thing for you to to say to any of your fellow alums is "thank you."  
    agcBash_Riprockthechuck_2112JohnnyMacAORedHawk332xHawkMiami_Oh_YeahDICKJHVMUFBAlum
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum

    MUHawk84 said:

    leaving the NCHC and all its benefits for a startup league would be a Brad Bates-type terrible decision.  TV, Prestige, Recruiting, all lost in a blink of an eye.  No way Saylor and the Miami Prez that flippin' stupid.

    How long you've been a Miami fan, bro?
    are you just a fan?  or have you left some actual sweat equity out there?

    MUHawk84 said:

    leaving the NCHC and all its benefits for a startup league would be a Brad Bates-type terrible decision.  TV, Prestige, Recruiting, all lost in a blink of an eye.  No way Saylor and the Miami Prez that flippin' stupid.

    How long you've been a Miami fan, bro?
    are you just a fan?  or have you left some actual sweat equity out there?
    I left a few brain cells on the old coffin ice during broom all games, but I was just joking. This athletic department consistently confounds...

    Miami_Oh_Yeah
  • Miami_Oh_YeahMiami_Oh_Yeah Havighurstite
    DevilGrad said:

    MUHawk84 said:

    leaving the NCHC and all its benefits for a startup league would be a Brad Bates-type terrible decision.  TV, Prestige, Recruiting, all lost in a blink of an eye.  No way Saylor and the Miami Prez that flippin' stupid.

    How long you've been a Miami fan, bro?
    are you just a fan?  or have you left some actual sweat equity out there?
    If you were a Miami student-athlete, given the funding sources for our athletics program, the first and most appropriate thing for you to to say to any of your fellow alums is "thank you."  
    Agree 100%
  • Miami_Oh_YeahMiami_Oh_Yeah Havighurstite
    Bonk said:




    I've said repeatedly that I don't understand why Miami schedules non-conference games at New Hampshire, Maine and Providence when there must be closer, non-flight options. That's what people should be questioning.


    Thread winner.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    edited July 9

    Bonk said:




    I've said repeatedly that I don't understand why Miami schedules non-conference games at New Hampshire, Maine and Providence when there must be closer, non-flight options. That's what people should be questioning.


    Thread winner.
    A lot of good hockey is on the east coast. Always good to get recruits an easy game to watch (as well as east coast alum). Also gives current players a chance to have their families not travel far for games. Basketball does similar things.
    dave67DSnyder15JHVMUFBAlum
  • Miami_Oh_YeahMiami_Oh_Yeah Havighurstite
    JiveHawk said:

    Bonk said:




    I've said repeatedly that I don't understand why Miami schedules non-conference games at New Hampshire, Maine and Providence when there must be closer, non-flight options. That's what people should be questioning.


    Thread winner.
    A lot of good hockey is on the east coast. Always good to get recruits an easy game to watch (as well as east coast alum). Also gives current players a chance to have their families not travel far for games. Basketball does similar things.
    I agree, and same can be said about the Minnesota games.  Do we want recruits and current players a chance to not travel far for games....  Or do we just want to bus trip up to Ferris State?   And the compromise to both would be stay in NCHC for recruits and families and then play OoC Ferris instead of CCHA crap league and then travel to New Hampshire OoC
  • BonkBonk Off-Campus Slummer
    edited July 10
    IMHO, that's not a good enough reason to play road games vs. mediocre Hockey East teams. We've had what, four players from New England on the roster the past decade?
  • LurkerLurker Summer Orientee
    edited July 15
    Don't look now, but somebody thinks they're getting our spot in the NCHC: https://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?135540-Minnesota-State-Offseason-Thread-2019&p=6823203&viewfull=1#post6823203

    Reasons the NCHC would replace us with Minnesota State (I had no idea where Mankato, MN was, I had to Google it):
    1) Bus trip from Duluth, Grand Forks, St. Cloud, Omaha instead of a flight. Net positive in terms of league travel expenses.
    2) Close proximity to the Frozen Four with an alumni base in the Twin Cities...if they get in, their fans will show up  -- we don't travel all that well.  Net positive in terms of league revenue.
    3) PWR that has greatly exceeded ours over the past 5 years.  Net positive in terms of league competitive balance.
    4) Further consolidation in the "State of Hockey."  Net positive in terms of Minnesota hockey arrogance.

    Reasons to keep us over Minnesota State:
    1) Fenton is a Miami guy
    2) That's all I could think of

    Back to lurking...
     
    moose
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    close proximity is not most unique. One is redundant, and one is a repetitive superlative.

    So endeth the lesson of the day. 8D
    Bash_Riprock
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    MooreHawk said:

    Unless the budget cuts in Alaska are overridden, the two Alaska schools might drop all athletics this year. In that case it'll be interesting to see if the 7 keep going and essentially just remove UAH or if they decide getting rid of the Alaskan schools is enough and stay as a 8 team WCHA.

    Both teams to play this season:


    Very unclear after the 2019-2020 season.  There is talk that UAA & UAF athletics will combine:

Sign In or Register to comment.