Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019 Indians thread

Comments

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Shane Bieber with a complete game 1 hit shutout tonight against Toronto.  It was 1-0 till the 8th, just like last night,, but unlike last night the Indians got an add on run int he 8th and down 2-0 Toronto went with one of their bottom relievers and the Indians got two more in the 9th, so 4-0 final.

Indians are done with Toronto, finishing 6-1.  Had a 1-0 lead with one out in the 9th last night, too, but let it get away, or could have swept the season series.
    Re6H5wk
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    "Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose"  He's back!!
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

In 20 games so far in July, Ramirez is hitting .345 with an OPS 1.086.  He has 9 doubles and 7 homers and is 4 for 5 on stolen bases. 19 runs and 21 rbi's.
    Re6H5wk
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    Reports leading up to the deadline continue to mention the Indians dangling Trevor Bauer on the trade market. 

• The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    You could have had Clint Frazier for him. Now you'll get Jacoby Ellsbury and like it. I'll even throw in the always shitty Greg Bird.
    Re6H5wk
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:
    As aggressively as he threw that ball over the fence?
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Bauer is a bulldog competitor, and throws more pitches per inning than anybody else in the majors and has never had arm injuries.  So he would be very, very valueable to whoever he goes to.  At $13 million this year, he is still affordable, but that will go to $18-$20 next year with arbitration in his last year of team control.  My guess is that Bauer will be traded in the off season, not now, unless some teams gives up both a good bat and a reliable starting pitcher to replace him in the rotation now. 
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    edited July 30
    I see Bauer being traded for an immediate right handed bat and a "stopper" for the back end of the bullpen.  The Tribe does not have a guy to bring in and shut down a rally....similar to Miller.  What we have now are collection a of similar guys without any dominate stuff.  They all need to be sharp to be effective and Francona does a masterful job mixing and matching.  IMO, to go deep in the playoffs we need a RH bat and another guy in the pen.

Rotation for playoffs w/o Bauers:
    Beiber
    Clevinger
    Plesac

On the mend:  Kluber and Salazar.  I believe Salazar will be used as an "Opener" or a "Closer" who pitches on scheduled days.  I don't believe Carrasco will pitch again this year.

We can survive losing Bauer.  Remember....there were those proclaiming doom and gloom for the Tribe and shouting about the incompetence of the front office.  They don't look so bright at the moment do they??  I trust in Francona and the front office.  They understand the dynamics of competing from a small market and maintaining success.  It is interesting how many national articles now mention the Cleveland front office's success in trading and sustaining success.  If Kluber comes back fresh and strong...this would be the perfect time to trade Bauer.  I am sure they will try to add players that will help now and in the future.

One other observation.  The front office and Francona's handling of the struggling Ramirez is a case in point validating their approach. Analysis, patience and trust in process.  I wish Haslem would take a few notes.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    I’m going tonight to see Verlander’s no-hitter.
    The_Sackman
    DICK said:

DICK said:

In 20 games so far in July, Ramirez is hitting .345 with an OPS 1.086.  He has 9 doubles and 7 homers and is 4 for 5 on stolen bases. 19 runs and 21 rbi's.
    Glad you are finally off the lifetime statistics.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Not only did they extend the net down past third base, they covered the lower deck with a “net roof.” Fans sitting in the lower deck at The Jake can’t even get a foul ball off a pop out of play behind the plate. Total BS.
    JohnnyMac said:

Not only did they extend the net down past third base, they covered the lower deck with a “net roof.” Fans sitting in the lower deck at The Jake can’t even get a foul ball off a pop out of play behind the plate. Total BS.

Wow, really? That seems super excessive. I've never caught a foul ball at a game; I hope I didn't miss my chance. I've had balls thrown to me by players and I caught a wild pitch one time, but I feel like a foul ball specifically is kind of a seminal baseball experience.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:
    Thank goodness.
    Bash_Riprock
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    About that...
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Trevor Bauer’s last pitch as an Indian went over the CF fence
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    VIVA CUBA
    VIVA PUIG
    Re6H5wk

Trevor Bauer’s last pitch as an Indian went over the CF fence

And Puig's last act as a Red was getting thrown out in a brawl. Pretty on-brand for both of them.
    AORedHawk33
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    I like it.
    DSnyder15
    edited July 31
    Re6H5wk said:

I like it.

I like it too.  I was hoping for a good reliever but this will have to do for now.

I am wondering who they will send down. Salazar replaces Bauer.  Will they send 2 OFs down?? I am guessing they send one down and juggle Plutko between Columbus and Cleveland.  Probably Luplow because he bats from the right and he would get a lot more at bats in Columbus. This will allow Mercado to get a day off against difficult righties...like last night. 

There are no days off until August 18th so they will have to juggle the starters for a while. It looks like Kluber will return in late August.  If Salazar and Kluber are pitching anywhere near their past form this will be a great trade and set up the Tribe for the post season.  I still would like help in the bullpen.

There is talk of flipping Puig....I would do that for a solid back of the bullpen guy.

Bauer needs to grow up.  I am sure he did not want to get traded but he has acted and represented himself as a pure mercenary.  For him it is all about getting paid every last dollar and going to a team that will pay him the most.  It will be interesting to see how that plays out over his career. I remember Cleveland offering Bobby Bonds one of the largest contracts in the league and the largest ever for Cleveland.  He turned it down....was hurt the next year and never recovered the money that he turned down.  Bauer's strategy is risky...and possibly the best way to get the most money.  I wonder though if anybody but the largest markets can afford to compete on the 1 year contract path that Bauer is on.  Most mid sized markets have to know what they have going forward....it is all about managing the "window" of opportunity for this group.  I doubt any will be in the market for Bauer's services.  Interesting ....he is now out of contention and will likely be for next year.  My guess is the Reds will trade him next year.  That means he will suffer playing for a team that is out of contention, and have his name mentioned in trade talks (at least one of his friends claimed the rumors wore on him this year...although he may view this as a blessing next year) AND have to train at the same Spring training complex with the Indians.  I am hoping he really has to suffer knowing he could have played in the World Series  ;-)
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    DSnyder15 said:

Re6H5wk said:

I am hoping he really has to suffer knowing he clould have played in the World Series  ;-)

He did. And failed.
    Don't you go attributing that quote to me.
    DSnyder15
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    DSnyder15 said:

Re6H5wk said:

I like it.

I like it too.  I was hoping for a good reliever but this will have to do for now.

I am wondering who they will send down. Salazar replaces Bauer.  Will they send 2 OFs down?? I am guessing they send one down and juggle Plutko between Columbus and Cleveland.  Probably Luplow because he bats from the right and he would get a lot more at bats in Columbus. This will allow Mercado to get a day off against difficult righties...like last night. 

There are no days off until August 18th so they will have to juggle the starters for a while. It looks like Kluber will return in late August.  If Salazar and Kluber are pitching anywhere near their past form this will be a great trade and set up the Tribe for the post season.  I still would like help in the bullpen.

There is talk of flipping Puig....I would do that for a solid back of the bullpen guy.

Bauer needs to grow up.  I am sure he did not want to get traded but he has acted and represented himself as a pure mercenary.  For him it is all about getting paid every last dollar and going to a team that will pay him the most.  It will be interesting to see how that plays out over his career. I remember Cleveland offering Bobby Bonds one of the largest contracts in the league and the largest ever for Cleveland.  He turned it down....was hurt the next year and never recovered the money that he turned down.  Bauer's strategy is risky...and possibly the best way to get the most money.  I wonder though if anybody but the largest markets can afford to compete on the 1 year contract path that Bauer is on.  Most mid sized markets have to know what they have going forward....it is all about managing the "window" of opportunity for this group.  I doubt any will be in the market for Bauer's services.  Interesting ....he is now out of contention and will likely be for next year.  My guess is the Reds will trade him next year.  That means he will suffer playing for a team that is out of contention, and have his name mentioned in trade talks (at least one of his friends claimed the rumors wore on him this year...although he may view this as a blessing next year) AND have to train at the same Spring training complex with the Indians.  I am hoping he really has to suffer knowing he could have played in the World Series  ;-)
    The Reds are making this trade as much for next year as for this year.  Suddenly they have a better rotation than the Tribe, with Castillo, Sonny Gray, and Bauer, plus Alex Wood ( lifetime ERA of 3.20) just made his first start of the season this week and Desclafini as #5.  If the Reds trade Bauer next year, it would probably mean that they have failed to contend and dump his contract at the trade deadline as he would be heading to free agency.

We will have to see how this all works out as Naquin and Bauer had been playing well and now the Indians just got two guys who could take most of their time.  Maybe Greg Allen gets sent down again?  Puig has been slumping in July, while the Padres guy is a big time home run hitter but maybe not much else?  Puig has had an odd season, horrible in March/April, tremendous in May/June, then poor in July.

I would think that for the Indians to make the playoffs, they are going to have to get some solid contributions from the injured guys, some combination of Kluber, Salazar, and Carrasco.  Maybe the rookie starting pitcher from the Padres?
    Allen and Bauers optioned to make room for Puig and Reyes.
    Pretty awesome “thank you” video from Bauer:

https://twitter.com/baueroutage/status/1156992397743517696?s=21
    DSnyder15Re6H5wk
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

I hated that the Indians traded Bauer, could have had him the rest of this year and all of next year and then have gotten a first round draft pick for him.  If he was going to be traded though,I am glad he is going to Cincy, where I can continue to watch him and root for him.
    DICK said:

TruckCrew said:

I hated that the Indians traded Bauer, could have had him the rest of this year and all of next year and then have gotten a first round draft pick for him.  If he was going to be traded though,I am glad he is going to Cincy, where I can continue to watch him and root for him.
    And, you know, they got some pretty good pieces for him.
    DSnyder15
    Looking at the remaining schedule I think the Indians can go 103-59 to 99-63. Minnesota should go 104-58 to 101-61.  The Twins have the easier remaining schedule.  One thing about that is....there should be no demeaning the Indians accomplishment if they win the division.   
    I don't see any scenario in which the Indians win 100 games. Maybe 95, 96.