Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Write up Pigskin Preview?

BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
Have I missed something? Was it written under a veil of secrecy? Because I have yet to see a write up on yesterday’s event. Seems to me with the Iowa game less than 2 weeks away someone in the ADs office could sit down a write something. Just a thought.
ChrisW1980

Comments

• yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    How dare you question THE ONLY ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT IN THE NATION to simultaneously hold the Reeses and the Pieces trophies. 

@DevilGrad is coming for you.
    ChrisW1980CAredhawk13naptownHawk
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Dodds God
    Blues and Alex, Gabbart was really sharp yesterday. The defense seemed to be ahead of the offense. I don’t really have enough experience watching the practices to comment more than that.
    BluesmanDICK
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Chris thanks. Really do appreciate it. But my comment is directed to the athletic department. They did find time to send me text messages yesterday and today reminding me to give money to the football team on August 22, so presumably they should have some one available to post a writeup on the official athletic site about yesterday’s event with some details on who performed well etc.
    naptownHawk
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

How dare you question THE ONLY ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT IN THE NATION to simultaneously hold the Reeses and the Pieces trophies. 

@DevilGrad is coming for you.
    Alex I shall gird myself against the wrath of DG with an empty Reese’s Pieces wrapper!! :)
  • IdiotfanIdiotfan Summer Orientee
    Recap:

Every1 who attended was an idiot.
    grumpy1DICK
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
             Idiotfan Summer Orientee---:"Every1 who attended was an idiot"

Why would you say that? 

You a brain surgeon or maybe won a NCAA D-1 football National Champion coach and that makes you so smart?

Or, maybe you're a Home Depot Game Day self proclaimed football expert?

People who went (besides parents and families) are fans. Not haters and lurkers. 

Which one are you? 
  • IdiotfanIdiotfan Summer Orientee
    Sry. Let me amend the above statement.

Every1 who attended was either an idiot fan or media, or player parents.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cincinnati.com/amp/1941909002
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    Classic stuff right here:

"Beat them, win the Battle of the Bricks - is there a trophy or anything? I was waiting for the trophy to come storming out, there’s no trophy for the thing? We talk about this rivalry, I just assumed there was a trophy! We hadn’t won, in, you know, 50 years! How can it be such a rivalry if there’s no damn trophy! I’ll pitch in, I think! It’s a pretty big deal! I’m like ‘Where’s the dang trophy?’ I guess it’s not that big of a deal if no one can afford a trophy for the rivalry. It just shows how cheap the schools are in this league."
    redhawk11AORedHawk33Love_and_Honoryanksalex
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Davearama said:

People who went (besides parents and families) are fans. Not haters and lurkers.
    Which one are you?

I live in Orange County, California and devote a not-insignificant amount of my time moderating a website I don’t own on behalf of its absentee owner. I have a three-year-old and a ten-month-old, a mortgage, and a job. Flying to Ohio for a practice isn’t something I can really swing.

And this apparently makes me not a fan because I wasn’t in attendance? Fuck right off, dude.
    skin66
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Nickskin said:

Classic stuff right here:

"Beat them, win the Battle of the Bricks - is there a trophy or anything? I was waiting for the trophy to come storming out, there’s no trophy for the thing? We talk about this rivalry, I just assumed there was a trophy! We hadn’t won, in, you know, 50 years! How can it be such a rivalry if there’s no damn trophy! I’ll pitch in, I think! It’s a pretty big deal! I’m like ‘Where’s the dang trophy?’ I guess it’s not that big of a deal if no one can afford a trophy for the rivalry. It just shows how cheap the schools are in this league."
    His style of rambling reminds me of someone. I just caaaaaaaan't quite put my finger on it

skin66Bash_RiprockAORedHawk33DICK
  • JCook32JCook32 Summer Orientee
    I think you misread what Davarama said and who he was saying it to.
    DICKBeerman
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
                                             "Sry. Let me amend the above statement.
                    Every1 who attended was either an idiot fan or media, or player parents"

Ahhh....much clearer! So everyone who attended that was not just a parent or media was not just a fan but an "idiot fan"

First, would bet that a few that are regular contributors on this forum that might disagree with that sentiment.

And no...I'd never say someone who lives on far side of the country that can't make it to a scrimmage or a game isn't a fan. Hell I only live two hours away, have three grown kids (all out of the house yea!), have a mortgage, own a business, was a MAC champion and on a MAC championship team, have season tickets and didn't go. Wanted to go but had other things to do. 

Had I gone would that have made me an "idiot fan"? I guess it does.

Seems to me you're calling everyone there who wasn't a parent or media an "idiot fan". That's not very nice. 

Finally, as for the "fuck off dude" thing...obviously, given your superior command of the English language I"d guess you weren't an English Lit major. You must have missed the class on internet manners and etiquette too. 

• AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Hey Dave,

A few things for you to digest...

Number 1: did you miss the press conference when our esteemed football coach used the term ‘idiot fans’? He actually called the fans of our program ‘idiots’.

Number 2: everyone on this board wants to see the RedHawks win. Most of us are just frustrated with the downward spiral we’ve experienced the last 15 years.

Number 3: with the way things have gone over the last 15 years, it’s amazing that we have as many diehard fans as we do. Stop chastising posters who are upset with the state of the program. At least they still care. “Hate is not the opposite of love. Apathy is the opposite of love.”

Number 4: you are no better than anyone else here.
    redhawk11
    Dave has finally convinced me. Everything about Miami football is PERFECT.

15-0 Here. We. Come.

Just hope we don’t lose to an FCS program for the third time in Chuckle’s tenure.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    edited August 20
    Friends, Miamians, countrymen and women, lend me your attention for a moment. I come not to bury Davearama but to praise him. For, truly, it takes a man of flexible intellect and moveable character to deride others for their “internet manners and etiquette” after referring to the rest of us as “haters and lurkers.”  Only someone who has heeded well Emerson’s advice that “foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds” would be able to exercise board policing powers after mocking someone for not being a “brain surgeon” or a “National Champion coach.” And it takes exceptional nerve to go after the guy who has more or less single-handedly kept this community together for the past ten years over an issue of manners.  

Moreover, clearly only a revolutionary inspired by our school colors would foresee that the way to rebuild our dwindling fanbase is not by being open and welcome to anyone who still cares enough about the team to post on MHT but by enforcing a Maoist orthodoxy to sort out the real fans.  Perhaps the committed fanbase will dwindle from a thousand to five hundred or maybe even three hundred, but then on to conquer Beijing! Or Hamilton. Or at least Millville.  

Finally, only a master of internet argumentation would resort to the successful and rich trope.  And a MAC champion to boot!  

Alas, I am none of these things.  I own far less than one percent of a business and did not major in English literature.  (Shamefully, I wound up going to trade school no less than three times -- business, government, and law. Perhaps I now require a trip to divinity school to expurgate my soul.)  Many folks here have doubted my Miami credentials for years, and I live out my college football fandom largely in self-imposed exile with the EDSBS commentariat. Elba? Perhaps, although it’s more likely the Island of Misfit Toys.  

I’ll spend most of the fall there, Dave, and try not to disturb the Long March.  Enjoy the football season. But you owe Chuck an apology. Seriously.
    AORedHawk33dave67CycloneAlelpalito
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    Maybe we can all just shoot for #3 on AO's list, and think anyone here is on that list. The number for that group has to be pretty small - like endangered species small. Got to keep what we have at the minimum.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    I just don't understand how anyone can support a coach who called at least a few Miami fans "idiots" and called our school cheap (despite all the improvements made to our football facilities). I think his trophy rant was tongue in cheek, and if he would've ended it before the cheap comment, I would not have been too upset. However, I truly believe he meant that part.
    I want Chuck to do well only because I want Miami to do well. Miami can't be successful without him being successful. My hands are tied for the time being.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

I just don't understand how anyone can support a coach who called at least a few Miami fans "idiots" and called our school cheap (despite all the improvements made to our football facilities). I think his trophy rant was tongue in cheek, and if he would've ended it before the cheap comment, I would not have been too upset. However, I truly believe he meant that part.
    I want Chuck to do well only because I want Miami to do well. Miami can't be successful without him being successful. My hands are tied for the time being.

So my question is: how long do we have to wait to see Chuck be successful---defined by me as more than six wins or, perhaps, more optimistically, a MAC Championship and a Bowl win?
    DevilGrad said:

Friends, Miamians, countrymen and women, lend me your attention for a moment. I come not to bury Davearama but to praise him. For, truly, it takes a man of flexible intellect and moveable character to deride others for their “internet manners and etiquette” after referring to the rest of us as “haters and lurkers.”  Only someone who has heeded well Emerson’s advice that “foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds” would be able to exercise board policing powers after mocking someone for not being a “brain surgeon” or a “National Champion coach.” And it takes exceptional nerve to go after the guy who has more or less single-handedly kept this community together for the past ten years over an issue of manners.  

Moreover, clearly only a revolutionary inspired by our school colors would foresee that the way to rebuild our dwindling fanbase is not by being open and welcome to anyone who still cares enough about the team to post on MHT but by enforcing a Maoist orthodoxy to sort out the real fans.  Perhaps the committed fanbase will dwindle from a thousand to five hundred or maybe even three hundred, but then on to conquer Beijing! Or Hamilton. Or at least Millville.  

Finally, only a master of internet argumentation would resort to the successful and rich trope.  And a MAC champion to boot!  

Alas, I am none of these things.  I own far less than one percent of a business and did not major in English literature.  (Shamefully, I wound up going to trade school no less than three times -- business, government, and law. Perhaps I now require a trip to divinity school to expurgate my soul.)  Many folks here have doubted my Miami credentials for years, and I live out my college football fandom largely in self-imposed exile with the EDSBS commentariat. Elba? Perhaps, although it’s more likely the Island of Misfit Toys.  

I’ll spend most of the fall there, Dave, and try not to disturb the Long March.  Enjoy the football season. But you owe Chuck an apology. Seriously.

Until the very end, my intended response was “boy this guy misses his outlet of edsbs,” and then DG beat me to my own quip.

• The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

I disagree. I want the players to go 12-0 and the head coach to go 0-12. Not sure it's possible. Maybe we can get some sort of Varsity Blues/mutiny going on? Do we have a QB on crutches that would make a low key great coach?
    redhawk11Quinoaburgerkillgas20thechuck_2112MacCracken
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Funny you said that..Varsity Blues was on my cable last night and I watched the last hour of it..never had seen it before. So caught it just in time to grasp the meaning of your note. If only we could....
    The_Sackman
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    I may not have been an English major, but I know Strunk and White teach us to omit needless words. I should have followed their advice. In retrospect, I should have left out the “right.”
    grumpy1