Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

This Deserves its Own Thread

Comments

• JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite

#1 and most important question for hiring new coach:  "WILL YOU BEAT UC?"

end of interview.

nothing else matters.

Add OU win as #2
  • DevilGrad said:

I've tried to be exceedingly patient, balanced, and reasonable about the constraints this program works under.  But this is beyond the pale.  If Chuck isn't even going to try to win this game, I'm not sure why he will be on the sideline this Saturday -- or for any other game after that.  

Most coaches build their players up and take the blame for the team even if they don't deserve it.  There was a spotlight during Rams vs Saints game saying this very thing about Sean McVay falling on his sword for his players for losing Super Bowl even though they thought it wasn't necessary and the loss had nothing to do with coaching.

Contrast with Martin who tears down his players, degrades them, and giggles and thinks he is witty and funny doing it.  Not the type of leader that resonates with Champions.
    QuinoaburgerRenmancoAORedHawk33DICK
  • Renmanco said:

I have also posted this message in another thread just to be sure everyone sees it.

If the actions by Miami's head football coach are as serious as I
    perceive them to be, affecting the reputation of the school and
    deliberately targeting both players and fans/customers, then no buyout
    should ever stand in the way of doing the right thing to fix the
    problem.

Imagine, if you will, the consequences to someone in the academic community who acted this way.

I thought usually there is no buyout if you humiliate the school and degrade your own players?  
  • TJDubsTJDubs Summer Orientee
    Tim Rose made similar comments before the Miami U - U of Miami game in 1987. He basically said none of his players,
    other than maybe his punter, would make the travel squad at the U.  And
    his comment was quoted by media outlets across the country.   He – as
    is CM – was basically throwing his players under the bus by telling the
    world that “We are going to lose big because our players are bad, not because our
    coach is bad.”  From that point on, Rose went 2-20-2 before being fired.  It
    is pretty obvious that he lost the team – forever – that week.  Only
    difference is that CM lost the team after the UC game two years ago.  This just makes it worse.
  • He also tells all his recruits and players that they will be (recruit) or are (current player)  "The dumbest guy in the class"
  • Renmanco said:

I have also posted this message in another thread just to be sure everyone sees it.

If the actions by Miami's head football coach are as serious as I
    perceive them to be, affecting the reputation of the school and
    deliberately targeting both players and fans/customers, then no buyout
    should ever stand in the way of doing the right thing to fix the
    problem.

Imagine, if you will, the consequences to someone in the academic community who acted this way.

I thought usually there is no buyout if you humiliate the school and degrade your own players?  
    Al Davis wouldn't pay him a dime. Al Davis for AD.
    Miami_Oh_Yeahgrumpy1
  • MacCrackenMacCracken Havighurstite
    Re6H5wk said:

"None of the kids that were recruited to play at Ohio St. were looking at Miami (Ohio) and vice-versa..."

I'm pretty sure the latter half of this isn't true.

Pretty sure he’s recruiting outside of Ohio because he’s annoyed all the area high school coaches.
    Yes, he shouldn’t confine himself to Ohio, but I thought his remarks trashing the players he inherited and this play very poorly to a high coach who knows the young man and his family. Why would the coach encourage him to chose us (Martin) over OU or UC?
    Re6H5wk
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    Ive been quiet/absent on this board for awhile, cause I have enough challenges going on in my day to day that I don't need to get extra fired up about the abysmal performance of Miami football.  But old Chucklehead inspires this sort of reaction in people!

I have 3 different Miami friends who don't follow Miami football much anymore that all texted me some variation of "WTF".  2 of the 3 got push notifications of the comments from OSU sources.  It pisses Miami fans off, but even better, it makes passive or uninvolved Miami alumni embarrassed. 

Its one thing to know and accept the marriage is failed and falling apart.  Its another for your spouse to bring their mistress to your favorite dinner spot and loudly tell her how much better a lover she is around your friends and peers.

• nyredhawknyredhawk Summer Orientee
    I was first drawn to Miami in the mid-1960s and followed the school via the sports section but that doesn't work anymore because our alma mater basically has given up on winning both in football and men's basketball. That's a shame because I thought when Sayler came in he would change the culture for the better. Instead, we keep employed a football coach who clearly never wanted to be here, is not interested in our history and doesn't care a whit about the players he recruited. 

He needs to go back to the lower rungs (in classifications) and coach there. He's not a prime time coach in any sense of the term. I will always follow Miami because I'm loyal and as a Mets fan patient beyond logic. How do other Ohio schools end up with better coaches than the Cradle of Coaches? 
    agc
    This is how I imagine the "meeting" between sayler and Cuck went last year after the OU press conference
    MacCracken
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

This is how I imagine the "meeting" between sayler and Cuck went last year after the OU press conference
    Quite perceptive..............
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Havighurstite
    Bluesman said:

Chuck Martin has said when asked about the matchup against Ohio State:  "It's kind of like going to recess and they have the first 85 picks". First of all, this is insulting as hell to your own players. That in and of itself is inexcusable. I wouldn't fault any player we have wanting to transfer rather than keep playing for a coach who speaks like that. Secondly, it is a defeatist attitude. You damn well never heard Terry Hoeppner or Randy Walker making comments like this when they were playing and beating top 25 teams. This guy, Martin, is a damn embarrassment. I don't care if he wins the MAC. He needs to go. And if Sayler won't pull the plug, then he should go too.

0-18 against OOC games against FBS. This is why.  What a putz. 
    When Moses sent out scouts to check out the Promised Land, most of them were afraid of the inhabitants.  Only Caleb and Joshua had the attitude that we can take it and get all the good things out of it.  This kind of reminds me of that.  I hope the players have a Caleb/Joshua mentality.
    thechuck_2112DICK
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    nyredhawk said:

I was first drawn to Miami in the mid-1960s and followed the school via the sports section but that doesn't work anymore because our alma mater basically has given up on winning both in football and men's basketball. That's a shame because I thought when Sayler came in he would change the culture for the better. Instead, we keep employed a football coach who clearly never wanted to be here, is not interested in our history and doesn't care a whit about the players he recruited. 

He needs to go back to the lower rungs (in classifications) and coach there. He's not a prime time coach in any sense of the term. I will always follow Miami because I'm loyal and as a Mets fan patient beyond logic. How do other Ohio schools end up with better coaches than the Cradle of Coaches? 
    I get the opposite impression.  I feel like he has an attitude that he proved himself at Grand Valley, and he spent time at ND (ever heard of it?), so Miami is beneath him.  He gives the impression that he's disinterested and shouldn't be forced to compete with lesser resources than he had in South Bend. Obviously he's full of it.  But thats just what I see
    Professor_Fate
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    hopefully both Martin and the team realize there is a lot to play for in 2019 still. 

The Buffalo game will tell a lot.
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    Indiana HC prior to the Ohio State game:

mpurdy22Nescacdad
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Nickskin said:

“and into the valley of death rode the 600.”

• MazMaz Senior Barfly
    Bluesman said:

Chuck Martin has said when asked about the matchup against Ohio State:  "It's kind of like going to recess and they have the first 85 picks". First of all, this is insulting as hell to your own players. That in and of itself is inexcusable. I wouldn't fault any player we have wanting to transfer rather than keep playing for a coach who speaks like that. Secondly, it is a defeatist attitude. You damn well never heard Terry Hoeppner or Randy Walker making comments like this when they were playing and beating top 25 teams. This guy, Martin, is a damn embarrassment. I don't care if he wins the MAC. He needs to go. And if Sayler won't pull the plug, then he should go too.

0-18 against OOC games against FBS. This is why.  What a putz. 

When Moses sent out scouts to check out the Promised Land, most of them were afraid of the inhabitants.  Only Caleb and Joshua had the attitude that we can take it and get all the good things out of it.  This kind of reminds me of that.  I hope the players have a Caleb/Joshua mentality.

And Miami said unto Chuck " For you shall see the land before, but you shall not go there."

[apologies for the arguably blasphemous comparison] 

Bash_RiprockChrisW1980DICK
  • Nescacdad said:

Nickskin said:

Into the Hall of Millett rode the 600 Bortzes
    ChrisW1980killgas20
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Nescacdad said:

Nickskin said:

Are we playing Clemson? I would like 2 tickets please. Always wanted to see a game there.
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    skin66 said:

Nescacdad said:

Nickskin said:

Are we playing Clemson? I would like 2 tickets please. Always wanted to see a game there.
    Which death valley was first? Clemson or LSU?
    elpalito said:

skin66 said:

Nescacdad said:

Nickskin said:

No idea. Just thought about Clemson. Not even certain I am correct.
  • elpalito said:

skin66 said:

Nescacdad said:

Nickskin said:

The one in California.

elpalito said:

skin66 said:

Nescacdad said:

Nickskin said:

The one in California.

Only a geologist.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    edited September 2019
    Clemson is a public school with a student population not all that much bigger than Miami...about 20K as I recall. Located in the small town of Clemson yet they get upwards of 80,000 at every home game. Been on campus but never attended a game. Have been to the other Death Valley when we beat LSU in 86.
  • DevilGrad said:

I've tried to be exceedingly patient, balanced, and reasonable about the constraints this program works under.  But this is beyond the pale.  If Chuck isn't even going to try to win this game, I'm not sure why he will be on the sideline this Saturday -- or for any other game after that.  

Most coaches build their players up and take the blame for the team even if they don't deserve it.  There was a spotlight during Rams vs Saints game saying this very thing about Sean McVay falling on his sword for his players for losing Super Bowl even though they thought it wasn't necessary and the loss had nothing to do with coaching.

Contrast with Martin who tears down his players, degrades them, and giggles and thinks he is witty and funny doing it.  Not the type of leader that resonates with Champions.
    Basically. I remember in Martin's first season how he said he told his first freshmen class "you will be the wort players I recruit to Miami," but it was in a somewhat motivating way because the idea was that the players he brought in his first offseason coming off a winless year would naturally be the least talented class because those after them would be amazing. In hindsight those comments can be taken much differently...
    JWags said:

nyredhawk said:

I get the opposite impression.  I feel like he has an attitude that he proved himself at Grand Valley, and he spent time at ND (ever heard of it?), so Miami is beneath him.  He gives the impression that he's disinterested and shouldn't be forced to compete with lesser resources than he had in South Bend. Obviously he's full of it.  But thats just what I see
    nyredhawk said:

JWags said:

nyredhawk said:

My comments about Martin are where I think he belongs. No P5 team will ever hire him as a head coach. He’s dreadful, priggish and soulless.
    Renmanco
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    edited September 2019
    This isn't really the type of "positive press" our coaches should aspire to:

Or this one:

I know some people have tried to rationalize or downplay this comment, but I'm sorry, I can't look at this as anything other than a slap in the face to the players and the program. Yes, he didn't throw the Gus pick six against UC and whatever else, but this man is an abysmal failure as a leader of a team. I simply don't want him as the face of our football team. And no, this isn't beating a dead horse. We should be beating down Sayler's door.  Enough already. 

He is a putz. 
    redhawk11thechuck_2112