Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Let's Hear Some Positives

Comments

• skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited September 2019
    aba222 said:

Nice win today. Our d line looked good.

In pass rush....

;)
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    We won the game with turnovers, special teams and penalties. We found a way to win a big game that we could have lost

Our non conference schedule looks better than ever with Ohio State arguably the best team in the country, Iowa undefeated and top 20, cincy non ohio state games have been very good and tenn tech is 4-1

None of our non conference has lost except to us or each other
    skinsredhawk11
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Senior Barfly

Blackbird said:

It was my birthday.  Karma!

Happy late birthday. Here's hoping it was fueled with some beverages of your choosing.   
    Thank you!  A manhattan, and a glass of Bordeaux.
    mattsledgeAORedHawk33redhawk11
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited September 2019
    Agreed...UB ran all over us...and that is what they do...but key turnovers turned the game.

We have competed though, for periods of each game, but not put it all together.

• Take away their two big rushes for TDs, and they are at 188 yards rushing.

Need to limit those big plays. If we had, this would’ve been a total blowout
    Bash_Riprock
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Miami has some great-looking O-linemen who are true freshmen, playing like upperclassmen.
  • Miami finally has the size and depth at OL that bluesman has been demanding for years.
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    Undefeated! MAC champs this year, fellas. Let's do it!
  • DICK said:

Free bottles of water was a nice touch by the Athletic department.  I thought the weather was a factor in our favor as Buffalo is big and they seemed to wear down in the humidity.  It is probably hard to prepare yourself for this kind of weather while practicing in Buffalo.

Was it carbonated water?   ;)
  • ScalperScalper Wealthy Alum
    Chuck did not wear his jammy top to post game interview.
  • Scalper said:

Jammy top? I always thought it was short muumuu.
    Scalper
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    Miami has some great-looking O-linemen who are true freshmen, playing like upperclassmen.
    =>Aren't you a little old to be hitting on freshman?

• GeneGene Havighurstite
    We are a pretty good team when we play in our class. I hope we never play two upper echelon Big 10 teams ever again.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

Take away their two big rushes for TDs, and they are at 188 yards rushing.

This is a negative in our positive thread.  I think we will continue to give up those big plays when we play against elite skills players.  We simply do not have anyone on the field who can catch up with elite skill players when they get a step on us.
    agc
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum

Scalper said:

Jammy top? I always thought it was short muumuu.
    Barber smock
    digitalhawkScalper
  • DICK said:

Take away their two big rushes for TDs, and they are at 188 yards rushing.

This is a negative in our positive thread.  I think we will continue to give up those big plays when we play against elite skills players.  We simply do not have anyone on the field who can catch up with elite skill players when they get a step on us.
    On the first run, we missed 3 tackles. Didn’t need elite speed there.

Just need guys to do their jobs and we have a special group on that side of the ball

• JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    We’ve faced Iowa (always a great line), OSU (great skill at RB), UC (Warren might be the best back in the AAC), and Buffalo (Patterson is only in the MAC because nobody else would offer his twin brother). We’ve gone against the toughest rushing attacks and done alright all things considered.

Rugumba, Zed, and Brown shut down their WRs. Even the TD was a perfect ball that beat great coverage. We could blitz their young QB all day because our DBs didn’t need extra help. Myers will be seeing Reid, McWood, and Baratti in his sleep for a few weeks.

Gabbert shook off a rough first half. We made halftime adjustments. We beat a MAC team missing half of our offense and playing 3 freshmen at OL.
    DSnyder15dave67JHVMUFBAlum
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    Team showed guts after trailing 14-3.  They could have packed it in, but did not. Great win. Hope team can heal before WMU.

killgas20
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum

How is this for a positive?

Getting ready to book tickets to Boise for Potato Bowl for Miami vs MWC Air Force Academy.

(Tough to be more positive since Toledo got awesome win vs BYU (who beat Tennessee AND USC).

Can you really use Tennessee and USC in the same sentence?
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    edited September 2019
    CBS and 247 project us in Quick Lane Bowl vs Maryland.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Oh my gosh....
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    edited September 2019
    Seriously tho this Buffalo win was huge....now we have a realistic path to a 6-2 MAC record with 5-3 being the worst we should do given the schedule. Given our home attendance (or rather lack thereof), I’d be willing to bet a 6-6 record would not get us bowling. Gotta go 7-5.
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    edited September 2019
    Cincykid3 said:

Seriously tho this Buffalo win was huge....now we have a realistic path to a 6-2 MAC record with 5-3 being the worst we should do given the schedule. Given our home attendance (or rather lack thereof), I’d be willing to bet a 6-6 record would not get us bowling. Gotta go 7-5.

I agree completely with the home attendance issue and apparent high level of student apathy. Whenever we’re a borderline pick for anything, we’re going to be passed over, Much the way borderline teams from Iowa and Kansas used to be passed over. The old adage about those fan bases was that they came to the Bowls with the 10 Commandments and a $20 bill in hand and never broke either. We have built a current reputation as a small fan base with a bad case of home stadium apathy and one that doesn’t travel much anywhere in force. It will take 7-6 or better from now on.
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    bpat said:

Scalper said:

Jammy top? I always
    thought it was short muumuu.
    Barber smock
    Dental smock
    Scalper
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Havighurstite
    DICK said:

Free bottles of water was a nice touch by the Athletic department.  I thought the weather was a factor in our favor as Buffalo is big and they seemed to wear down in the humidity.  It is probably hard to prepare yourself for this kind of weather while practicing in Buffalo.

I actually had a very good game experience on Saturday, not just the outcome.  Everyone was courteous, and the free water was a nice touch.  We had a new entrance/exit on our parking pass, and it actually saved time getting to the stadium.
    muredhawks22DICKkillgas20
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Sloman is one of 21 kickers in NCAA Football right now with a FG percentage of 100%. Of those 21, 11 of them have made fewer than his current 7, and then 3 that are at 100% with at least 7 made have missed at least 1 XP, where Sloman is also 100%.

I am calling him a top 7 kicker in the country as of right now, and his 53 yarder definitely helps outside nay sayers who would say he doesn't have distance!
    Bash_RiprockAORedHawk33agcLove_and_Honorthechuck_2112a26daveDICKkillgas20
  • I haven’t heard many naysayers. Analysts have actually sung his praises over the first 5 games. UC commentator went as far to say that he’ll be kicking in Sunday’s next year
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    It's always fun to witness a victory in person.  The kicking game was phenomenal.  The young guys played their hearts out.  The difference was we made the big plays in the game.  We didn't necessarily maximize them (4 turnovers + the penalty on the made FG only turned into 14 points), but we weren't on the other side of them.

Also, it was great to see the ROTC in the old Hawkheads seats razzing Buffalo's kicker.  Great job ROTC!

And there was a Mike Mayock sighting as well.
    AORedHawk33DICKkillgas20
  • FootbalheadFootbalhead Havighurstite

I haven’t heard many naysayers. Analysts have actually sung his praises over the first 5 games. UC commentator went as far to say that he’ll be kicking in Sunday’s next year

He’s definitely a next level kicker
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    We're not the Bengals
    Bash_Riprock