Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019 MLB thread

Comments

• BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    Gerritt Cole set a new Major League record today @ Angels:  He has double digit strikeouts in nine straight games.
    Cole finished with 326 K's for the season:  Good for third all time in the AL for strikeouts in a season.  The two in front of him are Nolan Ryan and Bob Feller.

Cole also set a new MLB record for strikeout rate (40%), passing Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson.
    DICK
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    Cubs and Pirates make 5 teams with managerial openings for 2020:

San Francisco
    Kansas City
    San Diego
    Cubs
    Pittsburgh

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

Cubs and Pirates make 5 teams with managerial openings for 2020:

San Francisco
    Kansas City
    San Diego
    Cubs
    Pittsburgh

You know, 3 of those openings are to replace managers who have quite recently won World Series for that city.  This is not a great trend.
  • Angels have fired Brad Ausmus.
    Too bad.  Injuries hurt them this year.  Not sure how much of their record was his fault, but that’s how MLB rolls.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    He didn’t get fired because he was bad.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

Opening up a spot for Maddon??
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

redhawk11 said:

Opening up a spot for Maddon??
    Yep

Brewers out to an early 3-0 lead, bottom of 2nd.

Depending on how the next 5 batters go for the Nationals, Scherzer may not get an at bat.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I could not figure out why the Nationals started Sherzer when Strasburg was also rested and available.  I know that Sherzer is the ace and has won a couple of Cy Young's, but this year Strasburg has been their best pitcher, other than getting torched twice by Arizona  he was dominating all year.  Sherzer has injury issues and was not pitching all that well in September, while Strasburg finished strong.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Blackbird said:

Cole finished with 326 K's for the season:  Good for third all time in the AL for strikeouts in a season.  The two in front of him are Nolan Ryan and Bob Feller.

Cole also set a new MLB record for strikeout rate (40%), passing Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson.
    Cole and Verlander finished 1-2 in ERA, Wins, and Strikeouts.  I wonder if teammates have ever  done that before.
    Scherzer starting didn’t surprise me. But having him hit in the 3rd, down 3, with Strausburg rested was a curious decision.
    Brewers need 12 outs. Will they need Hader for 3? 6? Pomeranz has been nails for the Crew and you’d have to think they hope he can be counted on for 2.
    A 12 pitch 6th for Pomeranz probably makes it an easy decision.
    It’s Hader to start the 8th.
    Hader struggling, especially on his breaking pitches.
    Wow.
  • Blackbird said:

Too bad.  Injuries hurt them this year.  Not sure how much of their record was his fault, but that’s how MLB rolls.

There’s a serious roster problem in Anaheim that isn’t Ausmus’s fault. Stolen from @mattwelch on Twitter:

The Angels gave a mind-numbing 492 innings to pitchers who had a season ERA+ of under 80. Let’s compare that to some playoff teams:

246 MIL
    185.2 NYY
    125.2 WAS
    125.2 ATL
    112 HOU
    96.1 MIN
    70.1 STL
    67 OAK
    44.1 LAD
    32.1 TBR
    TruckCrew
    Just realized ESPN2 has a statcast version of tonight’s wild card game. Highly recommend.

Blackbird said:

There’s a serious roster problem in Anaheim that isn’t Ausmus’s fault. Stolen from @mattwelch on Twitter:

The Angels gave a mind-numbing 492 innings to pitchers who had a season ERA+ of under 80. Let’s compare that to some playoff teams:

246 MIL
    185.2 NYY
    125.2 WAS
    125.2 ATL
    112 HOU
    96.1 MIN
    70.1 STL
    67 OAK
    44.1 LAD
    32.1 TBR
    I had to go look as 492 just seemed off the charts. Then I saw three of their starters that amassed almost 240 innings with an average xFIP of around 6.30 and an ERA+ in the mid 70s. That is horrendous.
  • TruckCrew said:

Blackbird said:

246 MIL
    185.2 NYY
    125.2 WAS
    125.2 ATL
    112 HOU
    96.1 MIN
    70.1 STL
    67 OAK
    44.1 LAD
    32.1 TBR
    I had to go look as 492 just seemed off the charts. Then I saw three of their starters that amassed almost 240 innings with an average xFIP of around 6.30 and an ERA+ in the mid 70s. That is horrendous.
    Anaheim’s leader in innings pitched hit 107 innings this year.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Tampa is playing a four-man outfield against Olson. I’m sure it’s happened before, but this is the first time I’ve seen it, except in men’s softball.
    JohnnyMac said:

Tampa is playing a four-man outfield against Olson. I’m sure it’s happened before, but this is the first time I’ve seen it, except in men’s softball.

Don’t know that I’ve seen it in the regular season, but did see the Reds do it (against Grandal) in spring training.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

JohnnyMac said:

Don’t know that I’ve seen it in the regular season, but did see the Reds do it (against Grandal) in spring training.
    Yeah, I think back in the Spring they were talking about using that for certain situations during the regular season, but then I don't think they ever did.
    Callaway out in New York. 
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    TruckCrew said:

Callaway out in New York. 

So, they called him a cab?
    Blackbird
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    You may be mooching for rec's here, but you won't get one from me.  
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Can you believe some of these home runs? What an absolute joke of a stadium.
    Cole strikes out 15 Rays over 7 2/3.  He’s only the 7th pitcher to strike out 15 in a post season game.  He is a free agent after this year.  I consulted my crystal ball re his future, and saw a blizzard of $100 bills that blacked out the sun.
    DICK