Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019 MLB thread

Comments

• The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

Survive! Now I can listen to John & Suzyn on the drive back from hopefully a W in Oxford tomorrow. 

All the Yankees did tonight was allow Houston to win in front of a home crowd. Unless they pull a 2016 Indians...
    Well they can't blow a 3-1 lead if they win game 5 so there's that.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum

Re6H5wk said:

Survive! Now I can listen to John & Suzyn on the drive back from hopefully a W in Oxford tomorrow. 

All the Yankees did tonight was allow Houston to win in front of a home crowd. Unless they pull a 2016 Indians...
    Well they can't blow a 3-1 lead if they win game 5 so there's that.
    Was referring to Houston.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Verlander bombed in the first inning of a playoff game? No way!!! @DetroitTigers
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    Damn playoff baseball is great
    Iam4hawks
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Senior Barfly
    What a ninth!  Survive and advance.  Scherzer vs. Cole will be some matchup on Tuesday.
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    The (starting) pitching in this series should be epic.
    Astros in 4.

This is what you get as a Yankees fan. You get to be pure, unfiltered arrogance at all times but when there is shit to eat, you have to eat all of it. It comes with the territory. I'm not going to pick fights on social media at all of the snark. Today is the day for un-creativity online. Go get 'em.

Seriously, though, the Astros were better. They made the incredible defensive plays when they had to and got more clutch hits. Hoping to win a title based on bullpen and dingers clearly does not work. Go give Gerrit Cole a blank check. We'll be back next year and the year after and probably the next decade.

Stanton 2-0. No Stanton 0-4. MVP IYAM.
    Re6H5wk
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    In the year of closer after closer getting shelled and terrible bullpen stats, it is fitting that first Astro's closer Osuna gives up a 2 run homer blowing the lead in the 9th, only to have Yankee's closer Chapman give up a 2 run homer in the bottom of the 9th for game, match, and set.
    Astros in 6.
    Because there are times I enjoy getting DICK riled up, I can’t pass up the opportunity to note that the Nationals got their lead off guy on in the first and bunted into and out, after said lead off hitter stole second, and didn’t end up scoring. The Astros swung away after getting their lead off hitter aboard and ended up with a 2-run first.
    Nats didn’t learn their lesson with the same scenario in the 5th, but caught a break when Robles singles to right after 2 failed bunt attempts.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Eaton with two singles and an RBI.
    And the out saved helps out the Nats. 3-runs and counting with 2-outs gives the Nats a 5-2 lead.
    Two HUGE outs from Hudson to get the Nats pit of a 7th inning jam.
    Even though I said Astros in 6, I would love a 7 game series just like tonight. What a game.
    Mowch
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Great job by the Nats closer, getting the last 4 outs.  Bullpen has been their weakest spot.  I thought they might go 2 or 3 innings with Corbin, he was throwing well.  Since they only used him one inning, I am guessing he will still start either game 3 or 4.
    Thank God they have Osuna.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum

Thank God they have Osuna.

Thank god the Yankees have Chapman.
    Mowch
    Another good one brewing. 2-2 in the 6th.
    The intentional walk of Soto was the FIRST issued by the Astros all year long.

I like that gamble better than giving away the out on a bunt earlier in the inning. *facepalm*
    Nats pouring it on in the 7th. Now 6-2 after a Bergman error and a 2-run single.
    8-2. Wow.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

The intentional walk of Soto was the FIRST issued by the Astros all year long.

I like that gamble better than giving away the out on a bunt earlier in the inning. *facepalm*

That bunt actually was excellent strategy.  Tie game in the 7th inning.  You statistically INCREASE your chance of getting one or two runs. In that situation, getting the lead is the most important thing.  The Reds would have swung away trying for a 3-run homer.  That is one reason why they were so poor in close games.

Intentional walks open the possibility of giving up a big inning ( which actually happened this time) but also increase the possibility of getting out of the inning giving up no runs, which the Astros felt they needed to do.
    edited October 2019
    1. The Nats were already up 3-2 when they used the bunt.
    2. There is no scenario where run expectancy increases after giving up an out.
    3. Correct re: the intentional walk, which is why I’m generally against IBB, but there was no way I pitch to Soto in that situation.
    4. The pitcher got a ground ball that Bregman couldn’t convert. The pitcher did all he could and had Bregman fielded it cleanly the inning ends with a 3-2 score. (The official scorer giving that play a single is a head scratcher)
    DevilGrad said:

Thanks, Mister Analytics.  It's a damn shame the Nats had that turn around and bite them in the ass.  Time to head home to Washington.  

You’re welcome. I’m enjoying watching the games and commenting/debating on in-game decisions as they are happening just as we’ve done on this site for Miami games (or previous versions of) for a couple decades.

Congrats to Nats fans, one heck of an opening to the World Series.
    redhawk11
    DevilGrad said:

And I am busting your balls, as sports fans have been wont to do since the first Olympics in Ancient Greece.

I bet it happened way before that.

(It wouldn’t be MHT if I didn’t debate that statement.)
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Senior Barfly
    First time this postseason the Astros BP imploded, uncharacteristic defensive blunders, and a terrible RISP average . . . a combination that never ends well.  Gotta reset.   Nats played loose as the underdog.  Will be interesting to see how the ‘Stros respond. 
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    Late in the game last night, the Astros seemed to be just going through the paces ... almost sleep-walking toward the end of the game.  They were stunned, I guess.  Kinda punch-drunk.  I suppose that's understandable, but if you're an Astros fan, it has to be worrying.  They basically quit last night.  Now, I fully expect them to put that behind them going into Game 3 ... but, when the Nats punch them in the mouth again, will they quit then, too?  There's no doubt that the Astros are a great team with great players, but baseball is exceptionally mental/emotional (what goes on between the ears is important in all sports, of course), so this may be the biggest question remaining.  Conversely, the Nats just don't quit.  For 5 months now, they have made a habit of staying focused in the late innings - regardless of score - which made them one of the best (the best?) teams in baseball at scoring runs in the 7th inning or later.  I'm sure part of that is because with their historically awful bullpen they knew that no lead was safe.  But, part of it is also that they believe that they can come back from any deficit.  Last night, the Astros didn't believe they could.  

Go Nats!
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    DevilGrad said:

One of the best things that happened to the Nats this season was their September 3rd game against the Mets.  The stupid bullpen gave up five runs in the top of the ninth to complete blowing a lead and going down 10-4.  But they somehow managed to score seven in the bottom of the ninth and walk off.

Every team mouths the cliche about "it ain't over 'til it's over."  The Nats have a veteran group who really believe it.  

I probably watch (at least parts of) about 110 of the Nats games each year.  In baseball, you can usually feel pretty comfortable about going to bed after the 6 or 7th inning with a decent lead.  Not with the Nats this year.  If you miss the last 3 innings, you probably miss the game. 

In related news, I can't stop yawning.  
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

1. The Nats were already up 3-2 when they used the bunt.
    2. There is no scenario where run expectancy increases after giving up an out.
    3. Correct re: the intentional walk, which is why I’m generally against IBB, but there was no way I pitch to Soto in that situation.
    4. The pitcher got a ground ball that Bregman couldn’t convert. The pitcher did all he could and had Bregman fielded it cleanly the inning ends with a 3-2 score. (The official scorer giving that play a single is a head scratcher)

Your comment #2 is not clear to me.  What I stated is correct, bunting with runners on first and second with no one out statistically increases your chance of scoring 1 or 2 runs.  Now if you mean that you will score more runs total over the course of a season by not bunting, that is also correct.  The point of my comment here is that this was a correct time to bunt and increase your chances of getting a run or two, which would likely win the game.  All year you seem to have a hard time with that concept.  So evidently do Reds management/coaching staff.  That is a prime contributor to the fact that the Reds total run differential should normally lead to more wins that they were able to get this year.