Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Miami @ Ball State Game Thread

Comments

• BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Punt, punt, punt, INT, INT, downs, downs. That was Miami’s second half. At some point coaching is responsible. This looks like a surrender.
    Nescacdada26dave
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2019
    Just got back because I was so disgusted I had to leave. If anyone is Williamson's relative on this board, you should not read anything today. He is absolutely horrible. The back to back INTs were horrifically bad. Not even close. Everyone in our secondary should have to find their own way home. Horrible. Coaches should probably be in that same group. They weren't beating our backups, they were schooling our regular defense. I don't know how you can be cruising along so nicely and then just crap in your pants. It was like a switch got flicked. I don't know whether the team does a collective "uh oh" when JW comes in or not but it just seemed like they wanted to get on the bus that was backing up to the gate in the 3rd quarter.

Kudos to all the Miami fans that came out today. Shouldn't treat them like crap but not trying to win.I have no idea why you don't try to win today. A win would have guaranteed you couldn't mess up a winning season. Now it will be nail biting to see if we get past .500.
    dave67DICK
  • ...or maybe our 2nd team offense isnt as good as their 1st team D
    DICK
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Don’t think Williamson was under that much pressure when he released the two flutter balls for INT’s.
    MHT_Meme_TeamagcDICK
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2019
    Not sure what game JCook was watching but the ones and twos are the first team offense except at QB, where Gabbert is obviously the first team. A couple of OL injuries in the first half may have had some threes rotating through in the second half. Bottom line is that our first team offense under Williamson was despicable in the second half against their first team defense.
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    That bad loss/game may affect some bowl selections. CMU is way better and if we lose that 7-6 is pretty crappy for bowl bound team.
  • FYI—per ESPN, Ball State was favored to win this game.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2019

FYI—per ESPN, Ball State was favored to win this game.

WGAF?
    MHT_Meme_Teamskin66Re6H5wk

They weren't favored to win at the half
  • Was watching the same game as all of you were. I bet the RedHawks ML so I wasn't pleased with the outcome but ultimately who cares? Game didn't mean anything and we got some 2s and 3s some PT. 10 wins would be great and I wish he kept the starters in, but he didnt. And we got beat..bad. If anything, better odds next weekend.

I wont be keeping track but next week when we're rolling vs CMU, I want you all who are calling for 7-7 to take a sec to raise your hand.

Last post (and reading) until next Saturday. Let's go RedHawks.
    NescacdadFootbalhead
  • Bluesman said:

Miami currently doesn’t have a QB in the incoming recruiting class. Perhaps that should be addressed!!!

What's the plan if either Williamson or Mayer transfer? I can't imagine any grad transfers wanting to come here with Gabbert having the job locked down. Would we be stuck going into a season with just 2 scholarship QBs?
    Footbalhead
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    We'll go into next week's game by between 10-13 point dogs.

Graduate transfer maybe....today’s game may have shown us how a true frosh won the starting job...I am perplexed as to why Mayer isn’t at least given a chance.
    ..and as a long standing Miami fan of course I want us to play well against CMU...that doesn’t changes my disappointment with today’s (and last week’s) performance.
    Nescacdadredskin1989
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Next year, we will need a reliable backup QB.....or two.....

and a few corners who know how to cover against passes. Hint: Look for the ball. Stay with the receiver. Don't fall down.....OK, take it from there.
    edited November 2019
    On a couple of wounded duck passes the BSU QB threw was very surprised to see completions being made without nary a Miami defender in sight.

Miami had an 88.1% chance to win early in the third.
    Nescacdad
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    I don’t blame our D at all. Our defense was off the field a total of 9 plays in the 3rd quarter vs 26 on. Completely inexcusable no matter who our QB is.

At that point we were still up by 27-20. Then Williamson threw two picks in a row in 3 plays and the wheels cane off. Ridiculous.
    QuinoaburgerLove_and_HonorDICK
  • fwhawkfwhawk Summer Orientee
    JCook32 said:

Was watching the same game as all of you were. I bet the RedHawks ML so I wasn't pleased with the outcome but ultimately who cares? Game didn't mean anything and we got some 2s and 3s some PT. 10 wins would be great and I wish he kept the starters in, but he didnt. And we got beat..bad. If anything, better odds next weekend.

I wont be keeping track but next week when we're rolling vs CMU, I want you all who are calling for 7-7 to take a sec to raise your hand.

JCook32 said:

Was watching the same game as all of you were. I bet the RedHawks ML so I wasn't pleased with the outcome but ultimately who cares? Game didn't mean anything and we got some 2s and 3s some PT. 10 wins would be great and I wish he kept the starters in, but he didnt. And we got beat..bad. If anything, better odds next weekend.

Amen JCook. The negativity on this board is unbelievable.

Miami looked really good in the first half, but the injuries were piling up. The coaching staff had to be freaking out a bit. When Williamson came out to start the second half, I had hopes, but also serious concern for our 13 point lead. I was glad to hear Gabbert's situation involved a stiff shoulder. Obviously, the coaches didn't want to risk an injury to him when the game didn't mean anything.

I'm sure they were planning on more than one first down in the second half. The injuries on the O line had something to do with that situation. Let's hope those don't turn out to be serious. So, without any offense the defense was on the field way too long. I am not discouraged. I expect Miami to play a very solid game next weekend...and I expect Miami to win!
    fwhawk said:

JCook32 said:

JCook32 said:

Amen JCook. The negativity on this board is unbelievable.

Miami looked really good in the first half, but the injuries were piling up. The coaching staff had to be freaking out a bit. When Williamson came out to start the second half, I had hopes, but also serious concern for our 13 point lead. I was glad to hear Gabbert's situation involved a stiff shoulder. Obviously, the coaches didn't want to risk an injury to him when the game didn't mean anything.

I'm sure they were planning on more than one first down in the second half. The injuries on the O line had something to do with that situation. Let's hope those don't turn out to be serious. So, without any offense the defense was on the field way too long. I am not discouraged. I expect Miami to play a very solid game next weekend...and I expect Miami to win!
    Well thank goodness the coaches didn’t plan for only 1 first down in the second half. I feel much better knowing that it wasn’t the plan.
    agcNescacdadDICK
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2019
    Cincykid3 said:

Graduate transfer maybe....today’s game may have shown us how a true frosh won the starting job...I am perplexed as to why Mayer isn’t at least given a chance.

Maybe transferring...???

Come on people, when does the conference champ get beat down in it's final game...
    "because it meant nothing."

Ridiculous...we looked good blocking two punts and on a couple drives...otherwise were dominated, by a good team that is what 3rd or 4th in West?

Every win matters for this program, which has had so little.
    bpatAORedHawk33a26davegrumpy1
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    This is two straight weeks of absolute dog crap

And we lost the 4th quarter again 21-0 and we were absolutely dominated.  Always some excuse - but the fact is when you are 0-10-2 in 4th quarters it needs to be addressed. 

Can you believe that Coach Martin said that we had 3 good options at QB this year?  He would have been fired in October if #2 was our QB this year.  First Billy Bahl and then this- I mean how can this guys watch practice every day for years and think these QBs are capable. So we can have two arguments on his play either 1) Williamson can't play or 2) Williamson can play but it was his first real experience - which then goes back to my point earlier about why don't we call real plays when Williamson played in the BG and Tenn Tech games. 

The end of the half was so ridiculous- I would have loved to have tried to get another FG with 31 seconds and 3 timeouts- we could have run 5 plays and then a FG.  Instead we run a RB/QB read option and our QB gets hurt.  That has to be one the dumbest call in the history of college football.  If you are going to be conservative and run out the clock then take a knee.  If you are going for it- then throw the ball down the field.  

I listened to Coach Martin say all the right things on this week's press conference about trying to win games- about how Mike Brown wasn't going to come out- yada yada yada- and then we quit for this second half- because winning the MAC title is the only thing we care about????

Seriously- I don't want to go 7-7 or 8-6-  I thought we could win 10 games this year after BG.  I want have a program that makes me excited about the games not I hope we can win 20-17.   I want to get votes for the top 25 like we used to.  I want to be good- not the luckiest of 10 evenly matched teams in a 12 team conference.  I mean we played well with Kent and Ohio and then blew out BG and I was getting excited- and we have played like one of the worst teams in the conference - like Coach Martin 2nd year bad -  for two weeks in a row.  We almost gave up 600 yards today.  We got out-gained by 300 yards!!!!  Last week we beat Akron by 3 points- Ohio beat them by 49 this week.  

redskin1989skinsJHVMUFBAluma26daveLove_and_HonorRenmancoMHT_Meme_TeamDICKkillgas20
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

Miami currently doesn’t have a QB in the incoming recruiting class. Perhaps that should be addressed!!!

Blame Greggie
    thechuck_2112DICK
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

Greggie won't allow it!
    thechuck_2112
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    I just listened to Coach Martin's press conference and he said in the MAC you have two goals 1) get to Detroit and 2) go to a bowl game.  

Do you think that was PJ Fleck's mantra at WMU?   I know it wasn't Randy Walker or Terry Hoeppner's only goals.  

He didn't even seemed disappointed about the loss.  I don't get it.  

JHVMUFBAlumGeneRenmanco
    I am not surprised and in fact expected this reaction based on decision-making during the game.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2019
    Redsea said:

I just listened to Coach Martin's press conference and he said in the MAC you have two goals 1) get to Detroit and 2) go to a bowl game.  

Do you think that was PJ Fleck's mantra at WMU?   I know it wasn't Randy Walker or Terry Hoeppner's only goals.  

He didn't even seemed disappointed about the loss.  I don't get it.  

Those should be your top 2 goals, probably, but I can think of others. Actually win in Detroit and/or the bowl game, finish over .500, beat UC, beat ANY FBS OOC team.
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    edited November 2019

Bluesman said:

What's the plan if either Williamson or Mayer transfer? I can't imagine any grad transfers wanting to come here with Gabbert having the job locked down. Would we be stuck going into a season with just 2 scholarship QBs?
    Greggie's good with that. (Edited to say "doh", missed the previous post)
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    Before that mess that was the 2nd half, I thought we played pretty well.  The passing game looked better, as it should against Ball St.'s pass defense.  Special teams were special and the defense was at least making it tough on them.

Gabbert was hurt on the RPO before the half, he was looked at by someone as everyone headed to the locker room at halftime.  I have to believe that if he didn't get hurt, he was going to play in the 2nd half.

I didn't see anyone on the defense quit; I saw the defense wear out with some poor play mixed in.  Sharp gets a sack and comes off sucking wind.  They ran 94 plays thanks to our offensive gameplan in the 2nd half.  

That was probably the worst our back end has played since September.  While Raymond shouldn't have been beaten like that, Brown should've dropped more to help.  The tackling was atrocious.  Their big receivers shouldn't have gotten many YAC.

We've lost 2 MAC games, both without our starting QB at key moments in the game.  Against Western, Gabbert gets hurt when we're moving the ball down 5 in the 4th quarter and the drive stalls.  Today, we could've used him early in the 3rd quarter after the fumble or at any point in the 2nd half to keep some balance.

There was a group on the board a few weeks ago that had Ball St. down as a loss, then it switched to not just a win but a 10-4 finish, and now it's flipped back to 7-7.  I was probably one of the more optimistic ones before the season, looking for a 7-5, 6-2 season.  The only games I missed were OU and Ball St.  This team has fought hard over the course of the year and earned the right to play next week.  Next week is truly a one-game season.  I'm guessing the team will have a great week of practice with more doubting them.  Hopefully, the turnout will be strong by our fans, Central usually has a big turnout in Detroit.

Note: In crossover games, the West only had a 10-8 edge and that was with the East having Akron.
    NescacdadDICKkillgas20
    mz343 said:

I didn't see anyone on the defense quit

Zed Raymond literally quit on several plays.
    agcFootbalheadDICK