Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Comments

• adyonkaadyonka Wealthy Alum
    The Miami Student reports via Twitter:

BREAKING // Two @miamiuniversity students are suspected to have the coronavirus in Oxford. The university set up a call center for concerned students, faculty/staff and parents and are working to ensure the disease is not spread:
    https://www.miamistudent.net/article/2020/01/coronavirus?ct=content_open&cv=cbox_featured
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Attendance just dropped by 200 for tomorrow
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Redsea said:

Attendance just dropped by 200 for tomorrow

I didn't realize it was possible to have -5 people attend.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    That is why mens and womens BB games in Oxford are cancelled tonight and tomorrow. Absolutely correct thing to do. 
    2xHawk
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    I applaud the university for taking the necessary precautions. However, it is ludicrous what is happening in Oxford right now. I came to drop my daughter and, in less than two days, I have seen: 1) a 60+ gentleman yelling at a Chinese student to "go back where she belongs to" at McDonald's just because she was wearing a mask; 2) some people buying food and water as if there is no tomorrow at Kroger (they plan to stay at home for weeks); 3) Some comments on FB (Oxford Talk group) are saying that more than 50,000 people (!) have already died in China because of the Corona virus, and calling the SWAT to make sure the sudents do not leave their dorms; 4) the president, the provost, the police, ..., pretty much everybody is holding press conferences.

thechuck_2112DICK
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    agc said:

I applaud the university for taking the necessary precautions. However, it is ludicrous what is happening in Oxford right now. I came to drop my daughter and, in less than two days, I have seen: 1) a 60+ gentleman yelling at a Chinese student to "go back where she belongs to" at McDonald's just because she was wearing a mask; 2) some people buying food and water as if there is no tomorrow at Kroger (they plan to stay at home for weeks); 3) Some comments on FB (Oxford Talk group) are saying that more than 50,000 people (!) have already died in China because of the Corona virus, and calling the SWAT to make sure the sudents do not leave their dorms; 4) the president, the provost, the police, ..., pretty much everybody is holding press conferences.

1. Of course he was
    2. Let’s hope those people do stay home for weeks.
    3. The people who think MHT is an angry place need to check out Facebook more often.

Re6H5wkQuinoaburgerthechuck_2112agcAORedHawk33DICK
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Still waiting for test results.
    So...does anyone know how the students are doing? They’re still in isolation, but like, are they better? Because that might be a good data point.
  • MazMaz Senior Barfly
    DevilGrad said:
    Off-topic: I was at a convention a couple of weeks ago. It was about an hour into the last party of the week. The whole convention was winding down. I was talking with the person responsible for putting the whole thing together and I asked, “so, how do you feel?” She said “I’m tired.” I laughed and said that I cannot hear a woman say “I’m tired” and not hear Madeline Kahn in my head.” ... crickets ... “who’s Madeline Kahn?”

I asked her if she wanted to kick my dog, too.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Maz said:

DevilGrad said:
    Off-topic: I was at a convention a couple of weeks ago. It was about an hour into the last party of the week. The whole convention was winding down. I was talking with the person responsible for putting the whole thing together and I asked, “so, how do you feel?” She said “I’m tired.” I laughed and said that I cannot hear a woman say “I’m tired” and not hear Madeline Kahn in my head.” ... crickets ... “who’s Madeline Kahn?”

I asked her if she wanted to kick my dog, too.
    "What's Up, Doc?" is one of my favorite films. Shame she died so young.
  • FraggleHawkFraggleHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Blazing Saddles, in faux German accent... ‘it’s twoo, it’s really twoo....’.

Which always leads to Frau Bluchar and horses whinnying at her name.
  • FraggleHawkFraggleHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Returning to thread. Still no results announced despite complete last night according to timing for test.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Blazing Saddles is one of my favs
    90skinFraggleHawkBash_Riprock
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    edited February 1

So...does anyone know how the students are doing? They’re still in isolation, but like, are they better? Because that might be a good data point.

I talked to someone at Miami, this morning.  They've heard nothing.  All they know is the samples sent to the CDC are "in the queue".  With everyone being flown in from China, and more reports coming in from other Universities (see Arizona State), and now the couple that's transmitted the disease from wife to husband, it's now a waiting game.
    Per Miami’s Twitter:

A live press conference from Miami University will be scheduled for 7:00 p.m. on Sunday, February 2, 2020, at the Gross Center. For updates visit http://MiamiOH.edu/coronavirus
    agcAORedHawk33
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    edited February 2
    adyonka said:

Per Miami’s Twitter:

A live press conference from Miami University will be scheduled for 7:00 p.m. on Sunday, February 2, 2020, at the Gross Center. For updates visit http://MiamiOH.edu/coronavirus

Updating it on Super Bowl night, during the game?  Wow!
    edited February 2

adyonka said:

Per Miami’s Twitter:

Updating it on Super Bowl night?  Wow!
    “Everyone’s gonna die? News dump during the Super Bowl!”
    Mowchskin66Professor_FateQuinoaburgerredhawk11Love_and_Honor
    edited February 2
    Results are NEGATIVE for Corona virus for both students.
    Professor_Fateagcthechuck_2112Love_and_HonorDICKskipatroller
    Great job calling a press conference during the Super Bowl instead of just releasing that news.
    AORedHawk332xHawkFraggleHawkQuinoaburger
  • NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Yea that was pretty stupid, and a way to spread panic for no reason
    2xHawk
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum

Great job calling a press conference during the Super Bowl instead of just releasing that news.

But how dare anyone question the savviness of the people in charge.
    yanksalexAORedHawk33
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    "The doctors tried to save her, life, they did the best they could. And she is going to be ok."
    elpalito
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

But how dare anyone question the savviness of the people in charge.
    THEY’RE VERY BUSY
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Common sense is seemingly always in short supply when really smart, well intentioned people are making decisions.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    skin66 said:

Common sense is seemingly always in short supply when really smart, well intentioned people are making decisions.

Reminds me of NFL and college coaches completely botching time management. Not a slight at Chuck, although it applies. Andy Reid is an outstanding coach and screws it up all the time.