Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

The College Athletics Dominoes are starting to fall

Comments

• RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum

Isn’t D1 NCAA soccer kind of a waste? Best players go to Europe/Development academies by the time they are 18

I’ll rephrase: men’s collegiate soccer is a waste.

Most D1 schools are just glorified D3/club teams. Safe to say that 10% of the top 50 players skip college.
    I certainly dont know and i dont watch college soccer. But it does seem like some of the MAC players get drafted by the MLS per MACs twitter account which I do follow.
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly
    My understanding is that the MLS draft is just for college players and other players enter the league elsewhere, so it's not as important as in other sports.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    Redsea said:

Isn’t D1 NCAA soccer kind of a waste? Best players go to Europe/Development academies by the time they are 18

I’ll rephrase: men’s collegiate soccer is a waste.

Most D1 schools are just glorified D3/club teams. Safe to say that 10% of the top 50 players skip college.
    I certainly dont know and i dont watch college soccer. But it does seem like some of the MAC players get drafted by the MLS per MACs twitter account which I do follow.
    If I remember correctly, only one draft pick is still with an MLS team this year. Most were cut before day 1. The MLS draft is a ceremony that most people think should end anyway. It's a holdover from when the MLS didn't have the talent it does now and it's now launched significantly ahead of what the NCAA is providing.
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    MUHawk84 said:

skin66 said:

I guess it depends on your definition of waste. There are still plenty of good players both male and female playing college soccer.It is not a waste for them nor their families or friends. Certainly many of the best are opting to go elsewhere to play, but the competition is still good. Yeah,
    it’s not drawing big crowds, but neither are either of our basketball programs.
    Given the increasing popularity of soccer, I’d have to think it’s be one of the safer sports
    The popularity of soccer is actually on the decline, reportedly losing more participants than any other youth sport.  
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/14/sports/world-cup/soccer-youth-decline.html

In a region known for strong youth participation in the past and having an MLS team with the third largest attendance last year, Cincinnati cut their men's program earlier this month.  
  • 96Skins96Skins Havighurstite
    I think youth soccer (at least around us) became greedy (possibly in pursuit of developing more top players) and lost its fun appeal. My kids all played soccer at some point, but then started to be pressured by the clubs to give up other sports to play year-round (at very young ages). When soccer did this they lost as it was just one of several sports my kids played and I’d say most others were the same. It was safe, easy and great for general conditioning/coordination, but loses to football, basketball, baseball, tennis, VB, etc. every time with my kids and most of their friends. No surprise it’s participation rates are going down.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    96Skins said:

I think youth soccer (at least around us) became greedy (possibly in pursuit of developing more top players) and lost its fun appeal. My kids all played soccer at some point, but then started to be pressured by the clubs to give up other sports to play year-round (at very young ages). When soccer did this they lost as it was just one of several sports my kids played and I’d say most others were the same. It was safe, easy and great for general conditioning/coordination, but loses to football, basketball, baseball, tennis, VB, etc. every time with my kids and most of their friends. No surprise it’s participation rates are going down.

It cost a large amount of money to participate in travel soccer, at least it does in Colorado where my granddaughter plays. They are better dressed and equipped than I can justify. She has been playing “year around “ since she was in 4th grade. She is now a freshman at a huge school and made the varsity team. No season. Basketball is a secondary sport for her. I wish it was the other way around. Her brother is a sixth grader and got burnt out in soccer. He is more interested in basketball. My kind of guy.

Our daughter says the travel soccer leagues are really going to be down because of the economy. You can’t afford to pay big bucks for soccer when you need rent or food.
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    All kid sports have become, in many cities, suburbs and towns, year round activities due to pressure from teams and coaches. Look around..."club sports" with pay to participate as part of the deal especially in soccer, has become more important to kids recruitment than their school teams. Club level soccer, baseball, basketball, swim teams (and probably more) are better or much better than a kids high school team.  

They have paid coaches and can be expensive for parents when you include team fees, gear and lots of tournament travel. 15 years ago we spent $3000+/year on team fees, gear and travel for my son's select soccer team. Should have saved it for college! 

15 years later not sure of the level of participation of kids in youth soccer in Dublin where I live but back then it was by far the most popular youth sport program. 

As to Miami and what we do, we're already down to a very few men's and womens sports. Rather than drop one or two I'd look for big cuts in budgets. Much less travel where optional for non-league games, reduced recruiting budgets, non-league games with the area's smaller colleges and universities and fewer assistant coaches/GA's, scholarship reductions etc.  

Anything possible to stretch what's left of the budget (after it gets cut) yet try to keep the sport on campus.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Some seeking bailout of youth sports:

"More than 400 youth sports organizations supported a letter sent this week to Congress
    seeking $8.5 billion in relief for the industry to recoup anticipated
    financial losses from the coronavirus pandemic through this summer. Now
    comes the harder challenge: Finding sponsors in Congress and potentially
    crafting a viable bill within a fragmented youth sports ecosystem."

• 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    Without knowing any financial particulars if anything were to get cut Track and Field or Swimming and Diving would seem to the obvious targets.  Track has 48 men and 48 women on their rosters and swimming has 31 of each. 
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Meanwhile, at Long Island University, per John Buccigross:

Long Island University President Dr. Kimberly R. Cline, in conjunction with LIU Athletics Director Dr. William E. Martinov Jr., today announced the addition of men's ice hockey to the athletics department, with immediate recruitment and competition slated to begin in 2020-21.

LIU's women's team is D-I, so presumably LIU's men's team has to be D-I as well, and is starting effective immediately?
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    My son did 5 sports the last couple middle school years - football- basketball- track- soccer- swimming and he did baseball years ago

Soccer by far had the most “all year” mentality. Basketball second.

He likes football better anyway and will try that freshman year but the all year thing started to bug him

Long Island University President Dr. Kimberly R. Cline, in conjunction with LIU Athletics Director Dr. William E. Martinov Jr., today announced the addition of men's ice hockey to the athletics department, with immediate recruitment and competition slated to begin in 2020-21.

Bizarre, apparently they haven't even hired a head coach yet they say they'll be competing this year. I can't imagine against who unless they are going to play club hockey for a year or two. 

• Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    MooreHawk said:

Bizarre, apparently they haven't even hired a head coach yet they say they'll be competing this year. I can't imagine against who unless they are going to play club hockey for a year or two. 

I'm just learning they gave up the name Blackbirds last year.  That's a bummer.  I loved watching the team play in the Paramount Theatre in Brooklyn.
    edited April 2020

LIU's women's team is D-I, so presumably LIU's men's team has to be D-I as well, and is starting effective immediately?
    This season was their women’s teams first season at D1. I think they combined athletic departments with another school to make the jump to D1.

• NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Rico wind up here or Illinois if they start a program, or is he done?
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Wealthy Alum

He would be a great coach at either. They could both use the TO he left in D.C. and maybe his ego could fit in the room.
    NYCRedHawk
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Wealthy Alum
    If Rico wants a coaching job there will be no issues in getting one. 

• UptownWhilrlUptownWhilrl Off-Campus Slummer
    Yes, college soccer is important to the families and players. If they want to pay the price to play, let them, play, but University students are subsidizing them way to much right now
    https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-coordination-committee-approves-blanket-waiver-requests

NCAA grants some of the waiver requests. Most notably a one year lift of minimum financial aid requirements. Not sure how important this actually is, as it is just for a single year and they specify "This waiver does not provide relief from other financial aid rules, including financial aid commitments to prospective and current student-athletes or regulations related to the cancellation or reduction of financial aid."
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Senior Barfly

MooreHawk said:

I'm just learning they gave up the name Blackbirds last year.  That's a bummer.  I loved watching the team play in the Paramount Theatre in Brooklyn.
    What?!  Where are my royalties?
    Professor_Fate
    WMU cuts 6 million in athletic spending over the next year, including 25% pay cuts for the AD and the football and hockey coaching staffs.
    Well, the Wolverine-Hoosier Conference is full speed ahead for Fall sports:

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    level said:
    UC campuses are expected to be closed as well, they just haven't officially announced it yet. That would put three Mountain West and two Pac 12 programs out of commission.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    D_Day said:
    I've seen predictions Kent will absorb Akron and turn it into a satellite campus. I've also heard Cleveland State will. I wonder if the MAC has a contingency to replace them if needed. I'm sure they do, but I wonder who it might be. Bring back the Marshall rumors!
    thechuck_2112
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Off-Campus Slummer
    Kent, Akron, Cleveland State combined with a “Northeastern University” name might bring a pretty big U To the table and a really solid sports program. It might take a while to rival BIG Northwestern, but could be interesting. FB, BB, Soccer - all would be very good combined right away.