Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

MAC football -- the re-MACTIONing

Comments

• 96Skins96Skins Havighurstite
    elpalito said:

How do bowls make money?  if fans arent' allowed in -- is it worth actually having a bowl?

Bowls make money on TV, sponsorships/events and ticket revenue. Most of the revenue to make it break even comes via TV, so the local sponsorships and ticket revenue are what allows profit. The events (fan tailgates at $50/pers, parades, golf outings, etc.) and suite/club/seat sales are vitally important to keep upping the ante for the next year. The host cities view the bowl as their best oppy to highlight their place as a travel/business destination.
    This year is about survival for all - I’d bet the payouts are much lower (teams may only come to town a day or two prior vs a typical week, so expenses will be lower) and it’ll be all about TV revenue / market share.
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    96Skins said:

elpalito said:

How do bowls make money?  if fans arent' allowed in -- is it worth actually having a bowl?

Bowls make money on TV, sponsorships/events and ticket revenue. Most of the revenue to make it break even comes via TV, so the local sponsorships and ticket revenue are what allows profit. The events (fan tailgates at $50/pers, parades, golf outings, etc.) and suite/club/seat sales are vitally important to keep upping the ante for the next year. The host cities view the bowl as their best oppy to highlight their place as a travel/business destination.
    This year is about survival for all - I’d bet the payouts are much lower (teams may only come to town a day or two prior vs a typical week, so expenses will be lower) and it’ll be all about TV revenue / market share.
     A lot of bowls are also in states that currently have the most lax covid restrictions so it's entirely possible by December/January they would hold them with fans and events of some type.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Anyone know when the meeting/vote is supposed to happen today? Haven't really seen much on twitter. Granted its the MAC, but i feel like someone usually breaks it before the meeting even happens.
  • presidents meeting right now 
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

6 game season starting in November

Is this a prediction, inside information,  just a guess, or what?
  • Devil's Advocate here.

How many MAC programs have an indoor practice facility?  If the conference is going to run into mid to late December, they're going to need a place to practice away from the elements.  And the elements in Mount Pleasant, Kalamazoo, and Amherst are much more fierce than in Oxford or Muncie.

Mowch
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    Pete Thamel tweeting MAC approved return this fall... no details.
  • FootbalheadFootbalhead Havighurstite
    DICK said:

6 game season starting in November

Is this a prediction, inside information,  just a guess, or what?
    Inside source announcement coming up within the hour
    DICK
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Official announcement just hit. We're back baby!
  • Well, I'll watch them and enjoy them. Hope all goes according to plan.
  • MowchMowch Senior Barfly
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    Play everyone in our division and then MAC Championship?

Anybody disagree?
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    edited September 25
    The tentative schedule I posted earlier that might make sense has us playing all five Ohio teams and Ball State. Northern gsmes first. Since different states have varying protocols, all we’d had to deal with is one out if state trip to Indiana in December without an overnight.

Apparently they’ve pushed the start date back 10 days to Tuesday, Nov 4 so it kind of looks like the whole season might be cold, midweek nighttime MACtion. No big deal because general spectators aren’t going to be allowed.

Interesting to see how it all schedules out!
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    edited September 25
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Congrats to Chucky who avoided the annual September L Train!
    QuinoaburgerSpanks004
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Only 6 games. Less time for OU to blow a MAC title.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Won't it be our 5 divisional rivals plus our permanent crossover game (Ball State)?
    HawksGrad18
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

Won't it be our 5 divisional rivals plus our permanent crossover game (Ball State)?

Seems as if that would be the easiest way and take any “how come they get —-“ responses like are happening in other conferences. Play the people in your division , win the games, deal with it. No matter how you would make up a completely new schedule, somebody would bitch.
  • 96Skins96Skins Havighurstite

Devil's Advocate here.

How many MAC programs have an indoor practice facility?  If the conference is going to run into mid to late December, they're going to need a place to practice away from the elements.  And the elements in Mount Pleasant, Kalamazoo, and Amherst are much more fierce than in Oxford or Muncie.

Ball State is the only MAC program without one but it is under construction I believe. Pretty sure Miami was the second to last in the conf to build an IPF. I’d be shocked if there are more than 10-15 D1 schs without (CA/Western schs). I live in a southern city and 4 local high schools have indoor facilities - crazy but they are used all the time (it didn’t even snow last yr).
  • So November weeknight games with no fans in attendance, sounds like business as usual.
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly
    The only reason we might not play Ball State in my mind would be if they wanted to limit travel. Easier overall for us to go to NIU for example and OU to go to Ball State than for OU to go all the way to NIU. I think a lot of conferences are trying to reduce overnight travel
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    I'm not sure why so many people are treating this as a win. Houston has had their season opener cancelled 4 times already, but yeah, I'm sure a six game fall season will go great. A six game season (minus probable cancellations) with no OOC games and minimal (if any) fans. I agree that with all of the other FBS conferences deciding to return, the MAC was left with no choice but to follow suit, but we don't have to pretend like this doesn't absolutely blow.

I realize that at this point I'm like the Japanese troops on deserted Pacific islands in the 70s who thought WWII was still going on, but I still adamantly believe a spring season was the best option. We could have played a full slate of games with greater fan attendance, fewer cancellations, and a reduced risk to public health and safety.

I'm disappointed that we had one of the worst virus responses in the developed world. I'm disappointed in the virus denying dipshits who turned fall/spring football into a culture war issue. I'm disappointed that the conferences, ADs, and presidents didn't lay out a clear enough plan for the spring to assuage the dipshits. I'm disappointed that the conferences, ADs, and presidents folded under a pressure campaign led by the dipshits instead of sticking to their guns. Most of all, I'm just disappointed that we're being reduced to playing this farce of a season.

I'm still going to watch the games and enjoy them, because I like and care about Miami football. I'm just extremely frustrated that malfeasance and incompetence caused things to deteriorate to the point where what we're getting is something that barely even resembles the real thing.
    gentbaseball12Nescacdadelpalito
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    edited September 25

I'm disappointed in the virus denying dipshits who turned fall/spring football into a culture war issue. I'm disappointed that the conferences, ADs, and presidents didn't lay out a clear enough plan for the spring to assuage the dipshits. I'm disappointed that the conferences, ADs, and presidents folded under a pressure campaign led by the dipshits instead of sticking to their guns. Most of all, I'm just disappointed that we're being reduced to playing this farce of a season. 

I'm still going to watch the games and enjoy them, because I like and care about Miami football. I'm just extremely frustrated that malfeasance and incompetence caused things to deteriorate to the point where what we're getting is something that barely even resembles the real thing.
    THIS
    Nescacdad
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    MooreHawk said:

The only reason we might not play Ball State in my mind would be if they wanted to limit travel. Easier overall for us to go to NIU for example and OU to go to Ball State than for OU to go all the way to NIU. I think a lot of conferences are trying to reduce overnight travel

Us going to NIU is an overnight game. OU going to Ball State is an overnight game. Under my suggestion, only one of those matchups is an overnight game. Ball State and us could theoretically be played without an overnight stay, although I imagine it still would be.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly

I'm disappointed in the virus denying dipshits who turned fall/spring football into a culture war issue. I'm disappointed that the conferences, ADs, and presidents didn't lay out a clear enough plan for the spring to assuage the dipshits. I'm disappointed that the conferences, ADs, and presidents folded under a pressure campaign led by the dipshits instead of sticking to their guns. Most of all, I'm just disappointed that we're being reduced to playing this farce of a season. 

THIS
    Yep

• JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    Two words ....

YES MACTION!
  • Thank God. Wish it were an eight or nine game season but beggars can't be choosers. Let's win the whole f'ing thing again.
  • UptownWhilrlUptownWhilrl Off-Campus Slummer
    If we can have fans at the miami games I will make my best effort to attend. Great news.
  • greggie76greggie76 Off-Campus Slummer
    Hopefully the three players that opted out that can opted back in
    JHVMUFBAlumD_Dayredhawk11
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum

I'm not sure why so many people are treating this as a win. Houston has had their season opener cancelled 4 times already, but yeah, I'm sure a six game fall season will go great. A six game season (minus probable cancellations) with no OOC games and minimal (if any) fans. I agree that with all of the other FBS conferences deciding to return, the MAC was left with no choice but to follow suit, but we don't have to pretend like this doesn't absolutely blow.

I realize that at this point I'm like the Japanese troops on deserted Pacific islands in the 70s who thought WWII was still going on, but I still adamantly believe a spring season was the best option. We could have played a full slate of games with greater fan attendance, fewer cancellations, and a reduced risk to public health and safety.

I'm disappointed that we had one of the worst virus responses in the developed world. I'm disappointed in the virus denying dipshits who turned fall/spring football into a culture war issue. I'm disappointed that the conferences, ADs, and presidents didn't lay out a clear enough plan for the spring to assuage the dipshits. I'm disappointed that the conferences, ADs, and presidents folded under a pressure campaign led by the dipshits instead of sticking to their guns. Most of all, I'm just disappointed that we're being reduced to playing this farce of a season.

Are there countries were they are playing sports with full fans?

It certainly sucks to only have six games with no fans but why would you think it would be any better in the spring. And playing a full spring season (more than 6 games) would have ruined next fall.