Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

If some how cooper

If some how coach cooper wins the Mac tournament does he get contract extension
The_Sackman

Comments

• BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Depends how he wins it. If we have a .500 record or below or just above it, but get hot in the tournament, which can happen, I would say no. We have to see clear, definitive improvement on the floor and in the W/L totals. I would not be in favor of extending a coach based on a post season tourney run alone.
  • CMHskinsCMHskins Havighurstite
    Agree, we need to see significant improvement.  We cannot reward mediocrity.
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    I think it would take a winning record overall and a top three finish in the MAC regular season and two rounds into the MAC tourney for it to even be considered.  When it comes to  the "hot seat" you could smelt iron on Cooper's
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    If Christina Hendricks comes to my office and asks me to run away with her this afternoon, do I get to leave everything behind?  
    Quinoaburgerredhawk11
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

If Christina Hendricks comes to my office and asks me to run away with her this afternoon, do I get to leave everything behind?  

I thought Rita Hayworth was more your age range. But, also, yes.
    profholt82DevilGradDSnyder15Re6H5wkLove_and_Honor

(Rec'd.)
  • MowchMowch Senior Barfly
    DevilGrad said:

(Rec'd.)
    Look! People in the stands!
    That's how you know I'm old.  
    EDDIE
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    greggie76 said:

If some how coach cooper wins the Mac tournament does he get contract extension

=>Last season people were calling for an extension after a 2 game win streak.

redhawk11
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited June 2016
    This is a very good question. I'd personally still want him gone unless we win ~16 games going into the tournament. However, I don't see how you don't bring a guy back who led a team to its first NCAA appearance in 10 years, and just second since the Sweet 16 run. Looking at his track record, though, and our current roster, I don't think we have to worry about winning (m)any games in Cleveland.
    DSnyder15
    My dad just chimed in- "If we win the tournament, there should be an investigation." ^_^
    dave67killgas20DSnyder15elpalitoredhawk11
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    We will surely be picked to finish 12th (last) in the MAC, based on our records in previous seasons under Cooper and us having the least amount of returning established talent in the league.  No returning players even close to averaging double digits.  If we win the MAC with this lack of talent and experience, then give the man an extention, it would be a shocking accomplishment.
    DSnyder15Re6H5wkAORedHawk33MoHawk
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

First of all, Christina has given no indication that she is leaving.  Secondly if we finish first in our division and first or second in the league tourney then the man should be seriously considered for an extension.  
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    edited June 2016
    Akron and Buffalo will be very strong.  Ohio only loses Treg Setty....they will be strong.  BG has 7 of the 9 rotation guys returning and 5 of the top 6.  Kent is always tough.  Who knows how tough...they build with transfers.  I don't know much about the west...but Miami will be lucky to finish ahead of any eastern team.  I suspect that Sayler has a list that he carries around in his front pocket ready to go for the next coach  ;-)
    MoHawk
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    DSnyder15 said:

Akron and Buffalo will be very strong.  Ohio only loses Treg Setty....they will be strong.  BG has 7 of the 9 rotation guys returning and 5 of the top 6.  Kent is always tough.  Who knows how tough...they build with transfers.  I don't know much about the west...but Miami will be lucky to finish ahead of any eastern team.  I suspect that Sayler has a list that he carries around in his front pocket ready to go for the next coach  ;-)

ADs always say the best keep a list of potential coaches at all times. Just in case the current coach does very well or very poor. Sayler is no exception. I actually wouldn't be surprised if his top choice knew already.
    JiveHawk said:

DSnyder15 said:

ADs always say the best keep a list of potential coaches at all times. Just in case the current coach does very well or very poor. Sayler is no exception. I actually wouldn't be surprised if his top choice knew already.
    I would say that if you polled the top basketball supporters around these parts, you would find that Sayler has some work to do in regaining their confidence in his handling of the men's basketball program. This is particularly true after his failure to fire a lame duck John Cooper, tantamount to acceptance of Cooper's 13 win fetish. That is certainly the case with me. Mol? DICK? hoopsjunkie? Blues? Others?
    redhawk11
    yanksalex said:

JiveHawk said:

DSnyder15 said:

I would say that if you polled the top basketball supporters around these parts, you would find that Sayler has some work to do in regaining their confidence in his handling of the men's basketball program. This is particularly true after his failure to fire a lame duck John Cooper, tantamount to acceptance of Cooper's 13 win fetish. That is certainly the case with me. Mol? DICK? hoopsjunkie? Blues? Others?
    I'm not in the same company of the prestigious fans you mentioned, but I'll chime in. For the most part, I've been happy with Saylor. I wasn't thrilled that he kept Cooper, but I can understand why he did. If he brings him back after his contract expires, THEN he'll have some work to do to regain my confidence.
    DSnyder15JiveHawk
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    I don't know why all the doom and gloom. Bane and Beverly will lead a Miami basketball renaissance the likes of which have never been seen.
    MoHawkRe6H5wkQuinoaburgerHighStreetBluesAORedHawk33redhawk11Love_and_Honordave67
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum

I don't know why all the doom and gloom. Bane and Beverly will lead a Miami basketball renaissance the likes of which have never been seen.

What happened??  We were told over and over by some that if Cooper was not retained we would lose recruits and players.  We retained Cooper....are you telling me we STILL lost those recruits??  How can that be???  Why, pray tell, would we have kept Cooper if it was not to keep the recruits and current players??  If we have the least talented team in the league...shouldn't we just have blown the thing up and started from scratch??  
    Quinoaburger
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    We're just going to do it a year later than we should have for reasons that I refuse to accept.
    Re6H5wk
    Well we never had Bane. So we didn't lose him. We just couldn't deal the deal. But I personally can't wait for the Milos Jovic era to begin!!!
    JiveHawk
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    DSnyder15 said:

What happened??  We were told over and over by some that if Cooper was not retained we would lose recruits and players.  We retained Cooper....are you telling me we STILL lost those recruits??  How can that be???  Why, pray tell, would we have kept Cooper if it was not to keep the recruits and current players??  If we have the least talented team in the league...shouldn't we just have blown the thing up and started from scratch??  
    It was never about keeping recruits.  It was about not having the cash necessary to buy him out of his last year.
  • renmanazrenmanaz Dodds God
    2xHawk said:

DSnyder15 said:

It was never about keeping recruits.  It was about not having the cash necessary to buy him out of his last year.
    BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    We have a winner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • JC5JC5 Summer Orientee
    edited June 2016
    There is nothing this team could do that would make me support extending Cooper. I think we've seen enough to know that any hypothetical positive results would be a fluke.

Do you give a pro athlete a huge contract if he plays over his head in a contract year? If that can ruin a team, extending a bad coach would do even more damage.
    redhawk11
    renmanaz said:

2xHawk said:

DSnyder15 said:

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    We have a winner !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Stop with this nonsense. It had nothing to do with money.
    My thoughts in general are if Cooper wants the kind of money that Wright State just gave their new coach, he better go in the stands and sell concessions at halftime! 
    This serves as your periodic reminder that approximately two-thirds (65.9%) of Miami's intercollegiate athletics operating budget is funded by student fees.  Every decision in this athletic department is resource constrained. 
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

This serves as your periodic reminder that approximately two-thirds (65.9%) of Miami's intercollegiate athletics operating budget is funded by student fees.  Every decision in this athletic department is resource constrained. 

And when professors are threatening to strike over pay and everything else that's going on with a new president, there are too many reasons why firing him and increasing the next coach's salary to compete with everyone else would be a bad move for the athletics department. Professors don't like fighting over more pay and being told that can't happen, and then the schools spends $750,000 in firing and hiring a new coach at once.
    David Sayler has a tough job -- catering to beer tastes on a O'Doul's budget is one way to describe it.  
    redbear18
    DevilGrad said:

DevilGrad said:

You're wrong in this instance.

Cooper was on a budget contract. Even a modicum of increased success would have recouped the buyout many times over.