Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Billy Bahl

Comments

• CAredhawk13CAredhawk13 Off-Campus Slummer
    yanksalex said:

Bahl is firmly a bust. We all know he has the tools to become a good QB but he is now a junior and obviously not in our plans moving forward unless there is an injury.

Bahl is the ultimate cautionary tale of recruiting hype.
    Truth
  • yanksalex said:

Bahl is firmly a bust. We all know he has the tools to become a good QB but he is now a junior and obviously not in our plans moving forward unless there is an injury.

Bahl is the ultimate cautionary tale of recruiting hype.
    Truth
    Question is... was it hype or was it Chuck's mistaken belief in Billy's abilities?  Did Chuck really believe all of the "smoke" he was blowing up Billy's skirt early on... I make it about 50/50.
  • I’m going to firmly disagree with most on here. I think Bahl is good enough to win at Miami. He has the ability to make every throw in the game. He has an NFL caliber arm. Now, does he have the “football IQ”? I am not too sure this wasn’t more of a coaching issue than a player issue. His time at Miami was wasted by a coaching staff too eager to win immediately.

I wish him the best of luck. Smart decision to leave the Miami program with the current coaching staff in place. Just add it to the list of “google my name” failures. The list is long.
    Bash_RiprockMiamitexx
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

I’m going to firmly disagree with most on here. I think Bahl is good enough to win at Miami. He has the ability to make every throw in the game. He has an NFL caliber arm. Now, does he have the “football IQ”? I am not too sure this wasn’t more of a coaching issue than a player issue. His time at Miami was wasted by a coaching staff too eager to win immediately.

I wish him the best of luck. Smart decision to leave the Miami program with the current coaching staff in place. Just add it to the list of “google my name” failures. The list is long.

I completely agree with this.  Billy is an NFL style QB, with an NFl arm.  Coach Martin runs an offense where the QB needs to be a runner (think Hendircks or Ragland, they fit his system, Billy did not).  Also, Coach Martin evidently promised Billy he would red shirt him this year ( probably barring an injury to Gus) and did not play him a single play until he suddenly had to thrust him into the #1 spot in the second half of the year.  Billy was rusty and the offense was set up for a different style of QB and did not suit Billy.  I do not blame Bahl for transferring, with a good choice of schools we will possibly see him in an NFL training camp in the future.
    DSnyder15
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    Good luck, Billy. May your mediocrity be better appreciated at another program.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    dave67 said:

How did Noah do after he left??

Noah did transfer to Hanover but was seriously injured in July, and did not play this year. He just started throwing a few weeks ago and is itching to play next year. He loves Hanover.

And by the way, from multiple conversations, his Mom is just as nice as Mrs. Seals!
    DICKgrumpy1digitalhawkDSnyder15NescacdadQuinoaburgerMacCracken
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2017
    I also have a hard time signing on to the philosophy that Billy's whole career was ruined because he didn't redshirt his freshman year. How mentally weak does an 18 year old athlete need to be to go 2 years without winning a football game because he saw action as a true freshman? And, if that is the reason, something else was going to cause his downfall.

For all the posts about the importance of in game experience around here, we're really going to blame his experience on our loss to Eastern f'n Illinois? Coach Martin, who I have no trouble bashing, did not make him throw into double coverage as much as he did. 

Billy got lots of chances to perform as Miami's starting QB and never performed. The fact that people still point to his game vs. Iowa (a game we were down 35-7 before Iowa called off the dogs, and still lost by 24) should be telling. 

I really wish the best for Billy, but we are in no danger here of losing the next Peyton Manning, or even Josh Betts. The simplest answer is that we had a strong armed QB that simply wasn't as good as we all wanted him to be. 
    redhawk11
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Off-Campus Slummer
    yanksalex said:

. The simplest answer is that we had a strong armed QB that simply wasn't as good as we all wanted him to be. 
    Dan Raudabuagh 2.0
    MacCracken
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2017
    First Bane, then Beverly, now Bahl. I don't know how much more my heart can take.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

yanksalex said:

. The simplest answer is that we had a strong armed QB that simply wasn't as good as we all wanted him to be. 
    Dan Raudabuagh 2.0
    Yes, and eventually, too late for us,  Raudabuagh figured it out and became a great QB
  • cwRedhawkscwRedhawks Havighurstite
    If Martin wants to use the QB as a runner too, why not go get a true dual threat. Ragland doesn’t fit this description IMO.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

yanksalex said:

Dan Raudabuagh 2.0
    Yes, and eventually, too late for us,  Raudabuagh figured it out and became a great QB
    Raudabaugh became a great QB once he stopped going to Brick Street 5 nights of the week

Re6H5wkredhawk11thechuck_2112The_RockSpanks004gentbaseball12Quinoaburger
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

I’m going to firmly disagree with most on here. I think Bahl is good enough to win at Miami. He has the ability to make every throw in the game. He has an NFL caliber arm. Now, does he have the “football IQ”? I am not too sure this wasn’t more of a coaching issue than a player issue. His time at Miami was wasted by a coaching staff too eager to win immediately.

I completely agree with this.  Billy is an NFL style QB, with an NFl arm.  Coach Martin runs an offense where the QB needs to be a runner (think Hendircks or Ragland, they fit his system, Billy did not).  Also, Coach Martin evidently promised Billy he would red shirt him this year ( probably barring an injury to Gus) and did not play him a single play until he suddenly had to thrust him into the #1 spot in the second half of the year.  Billy was rusty and the offense was set up for a different style of QB and did not suit Billy.  I do not blame Bahl for transferring, with a good choice of schools we will possibly see him in an NFL training camp in the future.
    Agree totally. Going into next fall, we have a problem. We have Rags, a nice QB who is smart but with an average arm and difficulty airing it out----too many jump balls which is evident in watching him play. The real problem is that whoever backs Rags up will likely either be inexperienced or, if CM really takes another chance, he may bring in a 5th year transfer with PT immediately available....and what that might do to Rags and team chemistry would be uncertain....not a great situation....at least for now.
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum

DICK said:

yanksalex said:

Dan Raudabuagh 2.0
    Raudabaugh became a great QB once he stopped going to Brick Street 5 nights of the week

They didn't call him Rowdy for nothing.

DICK said:

yanksalex said:

Dan Raudabuagh 2.0

The only thing higher than his throws to open receivers was Dan himself.
    AORedHawk33Redhawks16Spanks004MacCracken
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Renmanco said:

DICK said:

Agree totally. Going into next fall, we have a problem. We have Rags, a nice QB who is smart but with an average arm and difficulty airing it out----too many jump balls which is evident in watching him play. The real problem is that whoever backs Rags up will likely either be inexperienced or, if CM really takes another chance, he may bring in a 5th year transfer with PT immediately available....and what that might do to Rags and team chemistry would be uncertain....not a great situation....at least for now.
    UNLESS Chuck goes back to what we did in his first year with Hendrix and runs no-huddle type offense.  We have a QB going in his 3rd year starting, and 4th year playing.  NO reason Chuck can't loosen the reins.
    redhawk11DSnyder15
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    I really like Billy and wish him success wherever he lands.  My guess is he will be more successful than any of the QBs we now are discussing.
    profholt82
  • redhawksfanredhawksfan Summer Orientee
    The great Chuck Martin and his blunders.....

First of all he was interviewed on signing day and you would have thought we did not have any other recruits we were signing. I remember him saying that they told Billy he couldn't send out his senior highlights because they were so good that some other big school would steal him from us. This just set Billy up for failure, hopefully you learn something form this Chuck.

Secondly, It was a waste of a tremendous athlete to bring in Andrew Hendrix, who by the way was awesome. This idiotic move for Miami football just set the program back from developing Kummer or Tupa(who he wrote off obviously for reasons unrelated to his ability) and giving Gus and Billy time to mature and compete if they were better.

Additionally, Gus Ragland was not even recruited by this staff. They claim they found him and all this other BS, but truth be told they were begged to take him and we should all be glad we have Gus because he led this program to a bowl!!!!

This staff also screwed up on the kid who is now the all time td leader at JMU and led them to the FCS championship last year. If I recall, a Treadwell/Bath recruit, and Martin would not return his calls!!! 
    Bash_Riprockgentbaseball12MacCracken
  • ChiefPanicChiefPanic Off-Campus Slummer
    Good luck to Billy. I really do wish him well.

But there’s a 0% chance of future NFL training camp invites.
    Nescacdad
  • Renmanco said:

DICK said:

UNLESS Chuck goes back to what we did in his first year with Hendrix and runs no-huddle type offense.  We have a QB going in his 3rd year starting, and 4th year playing.  NO reason Chuck can't loosen the reins.
    I have no idea if Ragland can run a full no-huddle, but he certainly can run an offense without 34 sideline checks per play.
    RenmancoAORedHawk33QuinoaburgerThe_Sackman
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    rexjack53 said:

So no true back up to Rags. Team is screwed ,  when NOT if he gets hurt.

Coaches will be looking for a transfer or JUCO, most likely with 2-3 years of eligibility.

Also, it was just simply time to part ways with Billy. Wish him nothing but the best. I don't think he was ale to grasp the system, and when he was playing, the whole team played down for some reason. It's like they lost confidence, you could tell night and day difference.
    redhawk11
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    I have a friend who lives in IL and follows HS football in the state closely. When Billy committed to us he called and said he couldn’t believe we got him, that people assumed he was headed to a P5 school.
    hawkattack06
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    grumpy1 said:

I have a friend who lives in IL and follows HS football in the state closely. When Billy committed to us he called and said he couldn’t believe we got him, that people assumed he was headed to a P5 school.

Was your friend Chuck Martin?
    Miamitexxgentbaseball12
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    grumpy1 said:

People did think that, nationally. I think he was a top 50 QB. Martin got him early, and kept big schools away. Wouldn't let him release any senior highlights or anything. It just doesn't work out sometimes (who was that northmont QB many years ago?)
    Redsearedhawk11
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2017
    Clay Belton. Miami to Maryland to Findlay to Springfield HS.

From RedHawks to Steelhawks (See liver link below)

Oh Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel. I Made It Out Of Clay
  • Fellas, we typically do a pretty good job of not attacking college kids on here, especially ones that wear our colors, but we've gone a little too far on this one.
    Was Billy a disappointment? Yes, 100%.
    Want to blame someone because it feels good to get it out? Go for it. Blame Chuck. He's a grown ass man. He signed up for the job, he built Billy up and created a high pressure situation. He also didn't develop him like we hoped, but that's what happens with MAC QBs. We shop in the 2 and 3 star bargain bin because we can't afford the newest model with all the bells and whistles. It's life.
    And blame me. And Spanks. And Jive. And Bluesman. And everybody else that pored over his high school tape and wanted to believe in a brighter future than 0 and freaking 12. We built him up because he was about as good of high school QB as we'll ever get. And, yes, he could run. But that's a high school playbook and a 16 year old linebacker chasing him. It didn't work out when things got faster and more complex and that sucks for us, but I promise you it sucks worse for the kid.
    Just don't forget what he is: a Miami student-athlete who took a chance on a really bad program that he wanted to rebuild. It didn't work out, but he's always represented Mother Miami well and we all owe him a bit of respect for that.
    yanksalexbpatBash_Riprockmpurdy22NescacdadCMHskinsthechuck_2112MiamitexxDSnyder15JohnnyMac
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

Exactly what any Notre Dame fan would have said about Hendrix before he transferred here for his one year, yet he played in an All Star game and went to an NFL training camp.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

grumpy1 said:

People did think that, nationally. I think he was a top 50 QB. Martin got him early, and kept big schools away. Wouldn't let him release any senior highlights or anything. It just doesn't work out sometimes (who was that northmont QB many years ago?)
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    I never understood why Bahl agreed to that
    edited December 2017
    DICK said:

Exactly what any Notre Dame fan would have said about Hendrix before he transferred here for his one year, yet he played in an All Star game and went to an NFL training camp.
    Clay Belton also went to an NFL training camp. That's hardly the metric of whether someone was a loss to the program. 

Billy Bahl has one year of eligibility left; in his previous 3 he won a combined (if memory serves) 4 games. Admittedly, there were injuries, but he was also jumped in the depth chart at some point before the start of his true junior year by someone in the same class.

HSB's point is well taken, but I don't think it is cruel or particularly counter to our mission around here to discuss Miami sports to debate whether the loss of a transferring player will adversely impact on field performance. I think we can all agree that losing Braxton Beverly and Michael Weathers most certainly did, as it pertained to the basketball team, and we talked about that impact at length. I just don't think this one fits that bill.
    grumpy1redhawk11UptownWhilrl