Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Plea from Chuck to Renew Tickets

Comments

• What’s wrong with the mailer? I only skimmed it but it seemed fine to me.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

What’s wrong with the mailer? I only skimmed it but it seemed fine to me.

If you can tell people how to qualify for the various benefit tiers, you're smarter than anyone else on here.
  • El13El13 Wealthy Alum
    I will renew, but I may not actually attend a game. Might even come to Oxford and not go to the game on game day!
    aba222
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    El13 said:

I will renew, but I may not actually attend a game. Might even come to Oxford and not go to the game on game day!

That'll show 'em!

AORedHawk33muhawkskin66ChiefPanicQuinoaburger
  • Why not get Miami’s School,of Business. involved with the Athlectics Dept.?

Improve on all the 100:things that need improvement from a Sales and marketing perspective.Much of that is attention to detail,proper execution,and repetition.Then work on mailings,videos,the ticket selling processes, student promotions,merchandise selling.This Could get huge improvements by bringing in a bunch of business school marketing,management and IT interns
    for little cost.a win-win.
    I’ve always thought having the Athlectic dept. run their business is like have the Business school run
    Off season athlete conditioning.
  • El13El13 Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

El13 said:

That'll show 'em!

At least they get my money! They need to earn my time!
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

Why not get Miami’s School,of Business. involved with the Athlectics Dept.?

Improve on all the 100:things that need improvement from a Sales and marketing perspective.Much of that is attention to detail,proper execution,and repetition.Then work on mailings,videos,the ticket selling processes, student promotions,merchandise selling.This Could get huge improvements by bringing in a bunch of business school marketing,management and IT interns
    I’ve always thought having the Athlectic dept. run their business is like have the Business school run

If they are interns, they will be taking orders from the people who are screwing this stuff up to begin with. It starts at the top.

• RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

Why not get Miami’s School,of Business. involved with the Athlectics Dept.?

I've suggested that multiple times over the past 5+ years to no avail...so I've given up. If they do not want or seek assistance, it is their own fault...and they will suffer accordingly. As most can attest, they are already suffering but still do not offer accept help ...even when it's offered.
    MacCracken

DS can't oversee every little aspect of the department. There aren't enough hours in the day. He's done his job... fundraise and make good hires (jury still out).

People need to do to their jobs. It blows my mind that those mailers got sent out. Do better.

The AD's job also includes putting in place the right people to make the department run smoothly....which is still lacking.
    MacCrackenBoarsHeadHerodave67
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    OK, as I said earlier I did renew my tickets. Another opportunity is being lost here. A message, even a recorded one, from a coach or player would be good public relations. Then again I sent big bucks (for me) to the women’s bb program a month or so back and no thanks from them either. Yep, I am dead serious. When I last contributed to the Duke booster club (Iron Dukes) I received a recorded message from a Duke player. That little thing was neat. It is the small stuff such as sincere and honest pleas such as “I know you are disappointed but we will do better, come on back and give us another chance “ or hey, thanks for the donation, we will put it to good use, that go a long way for towards good relations and feeling some ownership with the team. Now that I think about it I believe a previous women’s coach did send me a thank you note several years back.

As many have stated, we have a long way to go.
    AORedHawk3319goSkins
  • CycloneAlCycloneAl Havighurstite
    Brad Bates sent out personal notes to season ticketholders. Just sayin'
    CycloneAl said:

I remember that now. That was one of several good things Brad did. It should have been continued but by the specific program the tickets were for. Don’t fall into the “everthing Brad did was bad” habit.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2017
    skin66 said:

CycloneAl said:

I remember that now. That was one of several good things Brad did. It should have been continued but by the specific program the tickets were for. Don’t fall into the “everthing Brad did was bad” habit.
    Brad tanked our 2 most important programs and set them back years, and then did the exact same thing at his subsequent employer. I don't care if performed fellatio on every season ticket holder. B2 was the Dave Brandon of ADs of ADs.
    skin66AORedHawk33
    yanksalex said:

skin66 said:

CycloneAl said:

Brad tanked our 2 most important programs and set them back years, and then did the exact same thing at his subsequent employer. I don't care if performed fellatio on every season ticket holder. B2 was the Dave Brandon of ADs of ADs.

Your first sentence is correct, the second is just silly and the third correct again. 2 of 3 will get you in the hall of fame.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    skin66 said:

OK, as I said earlier I did renew my tickets. Another opportunity is being lost here. A message, even a recorded one, from a coach or player would be good public relations. Then again I sent big bucks (for me) to the women’s bb program a month or so back and no thanks from them either. Yep, I am dead serious. When I last contributed to the Duke booster club (Iron Dukes) I received a recorded message from a Duke player. That little thing was neat. It is the small stuff such as sincere and honest pleas such as “I know you are disappointed but we will do better, come on back and give us another chance “ or hey, thanks for the donation, we will put it to good use, that go a long way for towards good relations and feeling some ownership with the team. Now that I think about it I believe a previous women’s coach did send me a thank you note several years back.

You should let the AD know. Just set up a call, or email as many people on the email as possible. They should be made aware, and they should be willing to take feedback to improve the customer service.
    skin66
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    I donated last year to the football excellence fund, that promised
    "Direct communication from football staff via conference calls" and
    "Access to exclusive practices and events (dates TBD)."

NADA.

Email asking about it went unanswered.
    skin66UptownWhilrlredhawk11gentbaseball12MiamiMAC
  • SharkShark Summer Orientee
    I also donated to the football excellence fund this year. Nothing for something as usual.

I donated last year to the football excellence fund, that promised
    "Direct communication from football staff via conference calls" and
    "Access to exclusive practices and events (dates TBD)."

NADA.

Email asking about it went unanswered.

And they wonder why attendance is off. Their "fan base" is getting smaller each year and they do everything possible to continue to make it even smaller. Wake up.
  • redbear18redbear18 Havighurstite
    I was going to start a separate thread, but since we're on this topic, I received a text message yesterday from Steve Vogelgesang from Miami Athletics. He thanked me for going to the Fort Wayne game and gave me his direct line if I needed him for anything on any sport. I thought that was nice
  • ChiefPanicChiefPanic Off-Campus Slummer
    edited December 2017
    redbear18 said:

I was going to start a separate thread, but since we're on this topic, I received a text message yesterday from Steve Vogelgesang from Miami Athletics. He thanked me for going to the Fort Wayne game and gave me his direct line if I needed him for anything on any sport. I thought that was nice

I get near daily VMs from a nice gal in the Colorado Avalanche ticket office simply because I went to a game when the Hawks were in town. She knows this and isn’t offering me season tix - but rather tickets to the next Hawks game.

Sure this is an extreme example and the Avs are better funded - but I run a less-than-stellar funded sales operation too and analytics and proper use of them are our friend. And results can be achieved for very little cost.

Analytics however cannot help Chuck’s cue card reading.
    Spanks004 said:

skin66 said:

You should let the AD know. Just set up a call, or email as many people on the email as possible. They should be made aware, and they should be willing to take feedback to improve the customer service.

I sent out my first email just now. Sent to the ticket office. I will copy and send it to others as I find their email addresses. If someone has addresses I will forward my missive to them. I was blunt.
  • richiebrichieb Havighurstite
    DS used to ride a golf cart in the Millett lot. He would stop by and talk to us before each game. It was the highlight of the tailgate. This was in 2015 and 2016.
    We didn't get a visit this year. I miss speaking to him. He is a genuine person and is easy going. Hopefully, he starts coming around again next year.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    richieb said:

DS used to ride a golf cart in the Millett lot. He would stop by and talk to us before each game. It was the highlight of the tailgate. This was in 2015 and 2016.
    We didn't get a visit this year. I miss speaking to him. He is a genuine person and is easy going. Hopefully, he starts coming around again next year.

Maybe he was in the locker room learning how Chuck was going to blow the game?
    richieb
  • yanksalex said:

If you can tell people how to qualify for the various benefit tiers, you're smarter than anyone else on here.
    I received this email from the RWC today:

Dear Miami RedHawk fans and supporters,

It has come to our attention that there was an error on the mailed Red & White Club solicitation that was sent earlier this month. Some of the brochures were missing the benefit levels associated with their respective benefits.

After investigating the issue with the print vendor, we found that a malfunction with the printers’ software caused the error.

We apologize for the inconvenience and any confusion that this error may have caused. Please know that you can access the complete benefits chart here. We have also implemented new procedures to avoid similar error in the future.

We thank you for your continued support and passion for Miami Athletics!

Love & Honor,

Paul Bland

Director, Red & White Club

yanksalex said:

I received this email from the RWC today:

Dear Miami RedHawk fans and supporters,

It has come to our attention that there was an error on the mailed Red & White Club solicitation that was sent earlier this month. Some of the brochures were missing the benefit levels associated with their respective benefits.

After investigating the issue with the print vendor, we found that a malfunction with the printers’ software caused the error.

We apologize for the inconvenience and any confusion that this error may have caused. Please know that you can access the complete benefits chart here. We have also implemented new procedures to avoid similar error in the future.

We thank you for your continued support and passion for Miami Athletics!

Love & Honor,

Paul Bland

Director, Red & White Club

I received this also. I knew we were the smartest people in the room.

I also forwarded my e mail expressing why I almost did not renew my football season tickets to a few others in the athletic department.
    Nickskin
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Off-Campus Slummer
    edited December 2017
    Never Miami's fault -- always someone else's.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum

My thoughts exactly.

No Paul. It is your fault for sending them out and not proofreading before sending them out.
    redhawksnreds

My thoughts exactly.

No Paul. It is your fault for sending them out and not proofreading before sending them out.
    <br

Proofreading is not something they are good at. Once more, pay a student to read and check for errors and have a staff member check for omissions. These mailings and videos not only represent the athletic department, but one heck of a good university. Stop embarrassing yourself and the school.
  • They probably didn’t proofread them. The email says that only some of the brochures had this issue (mine didn’t, which is why I was confused). They sent the flyer proofs and the address list to the printer and had the printer handle mailing.

Sure, they probably looked at an exemplar before the flyers went out, but looking at one example flyer isn’t going to catch an error that only occurred in some portion of the flyers.

I guess I’m not sure what else Miami was supposed to do here. Have an intern proof a few thousand printed flyers and stuff them into envelopes himself? At some point, it’s okay for the university to rely on its contractors and to point the blame at those contractors when the contractors screw up.
    DSnyder15
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Just wrote a frustrating email back to the RW club after renewing my membership. There are just small things that need to be done differently. Even a small thing, like when you click the member benefit link from the donation page, it should open a new tab, not make you leave the donation page. That can cause a serious drop off in conversion rate. Or don't put the donation link in the PS line of an email...stupid

Still just more mad about the DePaul game and an email going off only after I sent an email saying they missed a huge opportunity with Chicago area alums.