Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

NCAA Tournament

Comments

• Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    I watched quite a bit of the Marshall game, and even in the first half I was texting to buddies how lousy I thought Wichita played defense...Marshall was penetrating almost at will although they kept missing layups. I was already thinking then that Marshall may very well win the game despite Coach Dan’s apparel.
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    edited March 2018

muhawk said:

Oats is a heckuva coach. Will be nice to have him out of the MAC.

I want Oats to stay!  If Oats stays and keeps building and winning at UB, it gives credit to the MAC and forces the rest of the conference to step it up in men's basketball.  Every time Buffalo wins in the NCAA Tournament, it forces more pressure to moving investment into all the MAC basketball programs.
    Oats can go. Let's have Miami turn into the team that elevates the conference.
    Yeah, Miami's done such a stellar job of taking this role, of elevating basketball, over the past 19 years.  Please.
    In that case, no one has elevated the conference in the last 19 years. Yeah, OU made the Sweet 16 a few years ago but then they came back to the pack and then some. That is usually what happens in mid-major conferences. The teams that break that tend, not too surprisingly, don't end being mid-majors anymore because they end up switching conferences.

The past can't be changed. The players, coaching staff, and administration can affect the present and the future. Miami  should want to take the next step for its own benefit, not just to compete with UB.
    redhawk11
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    I still hate Marshall, but congrats to them for FINALLY popping their NCAA tourney cherry. ;D
    edited March 2018
    This goes against my usual line of thinking but now I hope Murray State doesn't upset West Virginia. Then we can have WVU vs. Marshall. Hillbillies vs. Hillbillies.

Chuggy Bear vs. Thundering Herd? Let's root for a sinkhole.
    dave67
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    muhawk said:

muhawk said:

Oats is a heckuva coach. Will be nice to have him out of the MAC.

I want Oats to stay!  If Oats stays and keeps building and winning at UB, it gives credit to the MAC and forces the rest of the conference to step it up in men's basketball.  Every time Buffalo wins in the NCAA Tournament, it forces more pressure to moving investment into all the MAC basketball programs.
    Oats can go. Let's have Miami turn into the team that elevates the conference.
    Yeah, Miami's done such a stellar job of taking this role, of elevating basketball, over the past 19 years.  Please.
    In that case, no one has elevated the conference in the last 19 years. Yeah, OU made the Sweet 16 a few years ago but then they came back to the pack and then some. That is usually what happens in mid-major conferences. The teams that break that tend, not too surprisingly, don't end being mid-majors anymore because they end up switching conferences.

The past can't be changed. The players, coaching staff, and administration can affect the present and the future. Miami  should want to take the next step for its own benefit, not just to compete with UB.
    Kent State in 2001 and 2002?  If Indiana doesn't shoot lights out against the Golden Flashes in the 2002 Elite Eight, they're Final 4, potentially even contending for the National Title game.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    muhawk said:

This goes against my usual line of thinking but now I hope Murray State doesn't upset West Virginia. Then we can have WVU vs. Marshall. Hillbillies vs. Hillbillies.

Chuggy Bear vs. Thundering Herd? Let's root for a sinkhole.
    Pretty sure Murray State v Marshall also would be a hill country matchup -- and you'd get all the LULZ of watching a Bob Huggins-coached team choke in the tournament.  Let's root for that.  
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum

DevilGrad said:

muhawk said:

You remember how Marshall pushed MAC football to step it up.  

I remember Marshall spending twice as much as anyone else in the conference on football -- not counting the under-the-table payments to their academic nonqualifiers.  Is that what you mean by "stepping up"?
    If you're referring Marshall had a payroll to meet, that was their decision.  Did it work for the MAC?  Did the other programs push to improve?  Should Miami, and the rest of the MAC, continued to stay below the major media and bowl market radar, or did Marshall's entry cause more bowls to look to the MAC for teams?

There's the right way to get things done.  As far as I know, Miami's tried to stay within the boundaries, of what's ethical/legal within the NCAA guidelines.  If Miami applies the right way in basketball, it'll improve.  But, it's up to them.

In reference to DG's comment, please see the link to the free copy of the book on Google:

I tried to find "A Payroll to Meet: A Story of Greed, Corruption, and Football at SMU" on Google books, but couldn't.
    Marshall tried hard to make Dave Ridpath the fall guy for "props with mops," but he has gone on to a very nice career teaching at Ohio U and as a prominent critic of the excesses of college athletics.  
    Professor_Fate
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Side bar: St Cloud beat NoDak in OT. BU beat BC, so NoDak still on the bubble.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    We were pretty close to having all 4 13 seeds advance.
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Off-Campus Slummer
    Do yourself a favor and DON'T look up Desmond Bane's stats. Specifically his 3pt percentage.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    It is finally going to happen. Apologies to the Harvard women.
    So... a 1 could go down to a 16 here.
  • Yager07KumlerYager07Kumler Senior Barfly
    Virginia in trouble. Down 12 with 4 mins to play. Can UMBC pull off the biggest upset ever in NCAA tournament history?
    Sharpie
    Re6H5wk
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    This is spectacular. I never thought I'd see a 1 go down in the first round, but here we are.
    Freaking awesome. Sorry, Chuck.
  • Yager07KumlerYager07Kumler Senior Barfly
    Not just a win. They beat em by 20. Controlled the entire 2nd half by double digits. Awesome.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    UMBC Vs. Buffalo. It's possible.
    edited March 2018
    I knew that one day it would happen. I'm glad I saw it happen.

I always figured when it did happen, it would be thanks to some insane bank shot at the buzzer. I never thought it would happen in that fashion.

Congrats, UMBC. I don't care which team eventually wins the national title because the Retrievers are the Kings of March Madness this year. Hell, they're the Kings of March Madness for the rest of time.
  • moosemoose Senior Barfly
    I knew UVA was going to lose this weekend. Unfortunately, I didn’t think it’d be tonight. Survivor pool busted.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    On the plus side, UMBC is going to lose by 35 in the next round.

I have no idea who they’re playing. I just know they’ll be destroyed like in their 44-point loss to (checks notes) ... Albany earlier this year.

On the plus side, UMBC is going to lose by 35 in the next round.

I have no idea who they’re playing. I just know they’ll be destroyed like in their 44-point loss to (checks notes) ... Albany earlier this year.

NaCl?
    Quinoaburger
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    I mean it probably won’t be by 35, but the performance they had tonight simply isn’t sustainable. They’d have beaten UVA even without the Hoos’ own terrible play. But they’d have done it because their second half was utterly insane. Shots went in that never go in. That Lyles guy threw up prayers on 3-on-1s multiple times and couldn’t miss.
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    I was at the UVA-UMBC game. UMBC really dominated every facet of the game. The vaunted VA defense never showed up—don’t know if they were looking past UMBC or what. UMBC played excellent defense, especially in the first half. They also didn’t wilt in the second half, oozed confidence, and were lights out from 3 for the whole game. Maura gave UVA fits all night, and Lyles was unconscious shooting it. All this from a team that lost to Albany by 44 earlier this season. Well, they may get pasted on Sunday by K State, but they played a hell of a game tonight and deserve every accolade they get.
    Professor_Fateredhawk11Bash_Riprock
    Blackbird said:

I was at the UVA-UMBC game.

Do you realize you're one of what, maybe 15,000 people in the world who can claim they saw a 16 beat a 1 in person?

Professor_FateQuinoaburger
    UVA scored 54 points in that game. UMBC scored 53 points in the second half.

It truly is madness.

• RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Nickskin said:

I'd love for Oats to stay and build a consistent winner at UB.  His success at Buffalo doesn't hurt Miami at all.  If Miami chooses to commit resources and support to MBB that will be one of the determining factors.  Have UB raise the bar and let the other MAC teams work harder.

It all comes down to M O N E Y. The bucks have to go into facilities and into stepping up coaching salaries. I doubt Oats will stay at UB for anything less than $1 MM. One cannot blame a coach at a mid-major (who also has a mid-major salary (under $500K) ) from taking an opportunity to make more money when it is presented.
    Dan Dakich on one of the recent BB broadcasts...said several times when the discussion turned to the job Oats has done at Buffalo: "leave." Obviously, Dakich overstayed at BG and what had been a good team under him in his early years there went into the dumpster and Dakich lost his chance for a bigger payday and his comments clearly showed his disappointment at not leaving BG when given what was probably his best chance early on into his time there.
    So, if the MAC wants to step it up, they will need to figure out a way to keep coaches happy (cash will do much of that) and better enable them to successfully recruit (have great facilities....and decent fan support.....and more prime time TV exposure....the things that the recruits notice).
    To really do this the right way, the MAC conference-wide needs to get aboard. Having only 1 or 2 schools getting with the program will not get it done.....and, frankly, I doubt the conference presidents have the collective will to get behind this; again, money will be the key issue.
    DSnyder15AORedHawk33
    Lyles is a great player. Averaged over 20ppg. Big time recruit who started at VCU and transferred to UMBC. He also had a chance to grad transfer out this year, but chose to stay. Both his parents graduated from UVA and his dad played in the NFL.
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    Renmanco said:

Nickskin said:

I'd love for Oats to stay and build a consistent winner at UB.  His success at Buffalo doesn't hurt Miami at all.  If Miami chooses to commit resources and support to MBB that will be one of the determining factors.  Have UB raise the bar and let the other MAC teams work harder.

It all comes down to M O N E Y. The bucks have to go into facilities and into stepping up coaching salaries. I doubt Oats will stay at UB for anything less than $1 MM. One cannot blame a coach at a mid-major (who also has a mid-major salary (under $500K) ) from taking an opportunity to make more money when it is presented.
    Dan Dakich on one of the recent BB broadcasts...said several times when the discussion turned to the job Oats has done at Buffalo: "leave." Obviously, Dakich overstayed at BG and what had been a good team under him in his early years there went into the dumpster and Dakich lost his chance for a bigger payday and his comments clearly showed his disappointment at not leaving BG when given what was probably his best chance early on into his time there.
    So, if the MAC wants to step it up, they will need to figure out a way to keep coaches happy (cash will do much of that) and better enable them to successfully recruit (have great facilities....and decent fan support.....and more prime time TV exposure....the things that the recruits notice).
    To really do this the right way, the MAC conference-wide needs to get aboard. Having only 1 or 2 schools getting with the program will not get it done.....and, frankly, I doubt the conference presidents have the collective will to get behind this; again, money will be the key issue.
    Money is the key issue....but I am not for the presidents getting on board.  This is a game you win by not playing.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    Renmanco said:

Nickskin said:

Dan Dakich did leave BGSU for West Virginia. When he saw the train wreck there, he went back to BG. Coaches used his “leave & return” as a recruiting tool that the players wouldn’t know if Dakich was going to be around from one year to the next.