Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

One name. A new coach.

Tpf97Tpf97 Summer Orientee
edited September 2018 in Football
Hire Mark Staten. I love Miami like we all do. I respect coach Martin and all the players. But the facts are the facts. The results are the results. For some reason we can’t get it done despite the support/physical facilities. Change is what we need...period.
JHVMUFBAlumDSnyder15

Comments

• We've gone down the Miami grad/Michigan State assistant route before, it didn't work out so well.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

We've gone down the Miami grad/Michigan State assistant route before, it didn't work out so well.

So everyone that went to Miami and spends time at MSU is suddenly an invalid like Treadwell? I'm not saying anything of Staten's qualifications, but it's a silly way to look at things. 
    TruckCrewBash_Riprockgrumpy1DSnyder15a26daveDICK
  • Tpf97Tpf97 Summer Orientee
    Ahhh. Yes Mr Treadwell....who hired Treadwelll?? I knew Treadwell and Staten is no Treadwell. Just because Treadwell was at MSU, and Staten is at MSU in my opinion, means nothing. I am taking the high road. Staten is the charismatic recruiting coordinator. I played with Staten. I did not know Treadwell or play with him. But fact of the matter is yes Treadwell was not a good coach based on data/results. I am sure he was a good man. All I am saying is Staten is younger. More charismatic. He can relate to recruits better and has what I think it takes to be successful. I played at Miami between 86 and 90 and lettered all years. My name is Tom Fischer # 97 and all I want is to win just like all of you do.
    redhawk11Bash_RiprockskipatrollerAORedHawk33JohnnyMacDSnyder15The_RockHighStreetBlueskillgas20ChiefPanicand 2 others.
  • yanksalex said:

We've gone down the Miami grad/Michigan State assistant route before, it didn't work out so well.

So everyone that went to Miami and spends time at MSU is suddenly an invalid like Treadwell? I'm not saying anything of Staten's qualifications, but it's a silly way to look at things. 
    Poor wording on my part. It shouldn't disqualify him by any means, but the reality is that those connotations will probably mean we look elsewhere for the sake of variety. A Notre Dame assistant sounded good after Haywood, but doesn't sound so hot now due to Martin even if that's unfair.
    Tpf97DICK
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    Tpf97 said:

Hire Mark Staten. I love Miami like we all do. I respect coach Martin and all the players. But the facts are the facts. The results are the results. For some reason we can’t get it done despite the support/physical facilities. Change is what we need...period.

Agree, I know and played with Mark as well.
    Miami should have hired Staten earlier. He has the connections, the charisma, and the skills to get the job done. Pay him well and give him enough money to hire a solid staff and Miami can be relevant again. Facilities are great now, but that does not always create wins.
    DSnyder15ChiefPanicDICK
  • yanksalex said:

I wouldn't immediately disqualify someone because of it, but the Dantonio coaching tree is full of duds. All three of his assistants who have gone on to be head coaches have been failures. Enos 26-36, Treadwell 8-21 (not including the 7 losses after he was fired), Narduzzi 23-20 (and he might not win another game this season). That's without even getting into some of the off field issues that team has had recently. That would give me pause before I try to tap that well again.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    edited September 2018
    No idea who we need. What I do know is year 5, a senior laden team, 1-4 record. Not acceptable. I hope Sayler has a list of good candidates already put together. If Staten is on it great. Don't exclude any school just because a past failing coach came from there. By that logic we now would have to exclude Notre Dame as well. All I know is I am tired of losing. 
    Nescacdad
  • All I know is.... I want a MIAMI MAN!!!
    redhawk11dave67
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    With the mess MU has now, we might even need someone like a Jim Tressel to temporarily turn this mess around. I think his show cause is up this year. I think it was from 2013-2018. Budget would not work most likely.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    He may want to coach again, tho....not sure a big time program will take on that baggage so maybe we would have a shot.
  • NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    He would never leave Akron, he’s the president there, a job I think he probably desires more at this time than coaching
  • Why would he leave being a university president to coach football again?
  • He would never leave Akron, he’s the president there, a job I think he probably desires more at this time than coaching

He's at Youngstown State.
    Professor_FateDICK
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Lol I remember the glory days, when we were one of the smartest message boards in the country.
    Bash_RiprockAORedHawk33QuinoaburgerDevilGradTruckCrewRe6H5wkHighStreetBlues
  • NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    My bad I thought he was at Akron still. He was Vice President at Akron for something before he left for Youngstown.
  • redhawk11 said:

Lol I remember the glory days, when we were one of the smartest message boards in the country.

I'll chime in...I think we should seriously look at Les Miles to be our Solich.
    DSnyder15ChiefPanicRenmancoQuinoaburgerAORedHawk33grumpy1JHVMUFBAlum
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    edited September 2018

redhawk11 said:

I'll chime in...I think we should seriously look at Les Miles to be our Solich.
    Miami's gonna have to go back to natural grass as a playing surface.  The Hat loves to gnaw on the turf.  

But I love this idea about Miles!
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Lloyd Carr is still alive. People forget that.
    AORedHawk33DICKThe_Sackman
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Tom Amstutz. He may still be alive, not sure. But a dead Stutzy outcoaches a live Chuckles anyway.
    DICK
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Dave Shula!!!!
    AORedHawk33
  • Dave Shula!!!!

Free steaks for everyone!
  • mpurdy22mpurdy22 Havighurstite
    I nominate my son's 7th grade football coach.  He has the team at 5-1 right now, averaging over 30 pts per game and my son's defense is only giving up about 12 pts.  Plus, the coach played at MIAMI!!    :)
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    Whoever was runner-up when Sayler hired Martin, that's who I want!
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

You want Klacik?
  • Renmanco said:

You want Klacik?
    I think it was DJ Durkin, currently on administrative leave at Maryland for having a player die this summer...so I guess you could say we'd be buying low.
    AORedHawk33The_SackmanChiefPanicaba222
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    We need a new coach.  Talking names of older coaches looking to patiently turn around a historic program.  Want a Miami Man.  There is only one name folks.  The one you think of when you think Miami Man.

DON SHULA.  Get him Sayler!
    Bash_Riprock
  • greggie76greggie76 Havighurstite
    Haywood
    Bash_Riprock
  • mpurdy22mpurdy22 Havighurstite
    Bo Pellini??
    grumpy1
  • GeneGene Havighurstite
    Was Mike Bath given a fair opportunity.
    AORedHawk33
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum