Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

FIRE CHUCK MARTIN!

Comments

• digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    Over halfway through the season Miami had 140 yards in penalties. The same as their rushing yardage. Fire him now.
    naptownHawkJHVMUFBAlum
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    Renmanco said:

Chuck Martin is Don Treadwell with charisma.

Minus the OU win and any OOC wins ;)
    naptownHawk
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    Alex is taping five 100 Grand bars to his Miami tee-shirt and going trick or treating as Chuck Martin's buyout.  
    killgas20Bash_RiprockThe_SackmanQuinoaburgerLove_and_HonorRe6H5wkChiefPanicMoHawk
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    DevilGrad said:

Alex is taping five 100 Grand bars to his Miami tee-shirt and going trick or treating as Chuck Martin's buyout.  

Reminds me of that old radio gag where they were offering 100 Grand to the 100th caller...and they asked how he was going to purchase a truck and other items with a candy bar.  
    grumpy1
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite

Over halfway through the season Miami had 140 yards in penalties. The same as their rushing yardage. Fire him now.

https://www.ncaa.com/schools/miami-oh
    Miami 96/129 in penalty yards per game.
    Atrocious - this is related to coaching.
    1,2,3 - Navy, Northwestern, Duke
    DICK
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Penalty Yards per game (national ranking)

2018 - 97
    2017 - 111
    2016 - 69
    2015 - 104
    2014 - 102

We have to be one of the 5 most penalized teams in the country since Chuck took over.
    Nescacdad
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum

https://www.ncaa.com/schools/miami-oh
    Miami 96/129 in penalty yards per game.
    Atrocious - this is related to coaching.
    1,2,3 - Navy, Northwestern, Duke
    I don't know about the others, but Duke doesn't have enough overall team speed to get penalized for over-aggressive play, so I guess that helps.  
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    I think we can afford this....

Jim Tressel:
    https://ysu.edu/news/contract-extended-president-jim-tressel
    “The pact includes no pay increase. His annual salary will remain at $300,000.”

He is 65. We can more than double this if he wants to coach again and I think the show cause is up this year. He could be the next Solich of the MAC.
    Some controversy - yes, but the media coverage and press at Miami would be well worth it.
    Recruiting would take off and he could get coaches all over with his contacts.
    mpurdy22Redsearedhawk11EDDIE
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

Jim Tressel:

He is 65. We can more than double this if he wants to coach again and I think the show cause is up this year. He could be the next Solich of the MAC.
    Some controversy - yes, but the media coverage and press at Miami would be well worth it.

Great idea.............
    JHVMUFBAlum

Jim Tressel:

I'll keep this post in mind when judging all your posts moving forward.

AORedHawk33DICKQuinoaburgerLove_and_HonorChiefPanic
  • I think we can afford this....

Jim Tressel:

Why on earth would Jim Tressel leave being the president of Youngstown State to coach football again? He has said repeatedly (a quick Google search shows interviews in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017) that he has no desire to return to coaching. His show cause expired in December 2016, and he made no effort to get back to coaching.  He doesn't have "unfinished business" like Solich. He's won his national titles, made millions of dollars, and now has a pretty cushy job at a university where he's revered.  And he'd go back to coaching for a not-very-good MAC program?
    redhawk11DSnyder15AORedHawk33ChiefPanic
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum

Jim Tressel:

Why on earth would Jim Tressel leave being the president of Youngstown State to coach football again? He has said repeatedly (a quick Google search shows interviews in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017) that he has no desire to return to coaching. His show cause expired in December 2016, and he made no effort to get back to coaching.  He doesn't have "unfinished business" like Solich. He's won his national titles, made millions of dollars, and now has a pretty cushy job at a university where he's revered.  And he'd go back to coaching for a not-very-good MAC program?
    Does anybody know if he came back for his election into the cradle of coaches or is that later in the year. I found it odd timing to be honest to be nominated now

mpurdy22
  • CycloneAlCycloneAl Havighurstite
    He was in Oxford for the cradle of coaches ceremony during the football gamr
    mpurdy22
  • ... and got pretty good applause from the crowd!
    JHVMUFBAlum
  • mpurdy22mpurdy22 Havighurstite

... and got pretty good applause from the crowd!

He probably would initially at least would boost attendance
    JHVMUFBAlum
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    ...and keep it if we start winning!
    JHVMUFBAlum
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    I truly believe that Martin will be back next year. Tough play, a team that has never quit, and injuries will be enough for Sayler to give it another year with staff changes but not a head coaching change. 
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2018
    Not so sure about that if he finishes 3-9 or 4-8. I could see a scenario he might hang on even with 5-7, so long as he beats OU.
    DSnyder15
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    Unless there is a complete collapse...I think he stays.  But I think Sayler will demand staff changes to the defense.  
    AORedHawk33
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    DSnyder15 said:

Unless there is a complete collapse...I think he stays.  But I think Sayler will demand staff changes to the defense.  

Interested in what you would consider a complete collapse.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    The very, very sad thing about our football situation is that I am at a point I never ever thought I would reach. For the first time in 50 plus years I am close to saying I don’t really care. Bring on basketball.
    dave67AORedHawk33DICK
    skin66 said:

The very, very sad thing about our football situation is that I am at a point I never ever thought I would reach. For the first time in 50 plus years I am close to saying I don’t really care. Bring on basketball.

Don't feel that way! Dsnyder thinks Sayler will demand defensive changes! We will be better next year. Plenty to look forward to

dave67skin66AORedHawk33DICK
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    grumpy1 said:

DSnyder15 said:

Interested in what you would consider a complete collapse.
    Not competive and 3-9 or 4-8
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Ohio is beating wmu 45-0
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2018
    Redsea said:

Ohio is beating wmu 45-0

That's a typo correct?

back up QB for WMU?

Just checked, that's at half-time, AT WMU....wild....good to be UB and OU fans these days, how odd is that?...what a failure Miami has been maintaining their previous high-standard in the MAC, let alone staying competitive.

Would Martin even be allowed to carry a clipboard for Solich...think not!
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Iam4hawks said:

I truly believe that Martin will be back next year. Tough play, a team that has never quit, and injuries will be enough for Sayler to give it another year with staff changes but not a head coaching change. 

Yay! Competing!

Here's to another 5 years of finding new ways to lose close games. I mean, after 1) forgetting to call a timeout, 2) having a fumble on the opponents 1 yard line go 99 yards the other way, and 3) botching a 2 pt conversion in OT, who wouldn't want to keep this party going to see what's in store for 2019 and beyond?
    Bash_RiprockAORedHawk33redhawk11JHVMUFBAlumMacCracken
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Iam4hawks said:

Yay! Competing!

Here's to another 5 years of finding new ways to lose close games. I mean, after 1) forgetting to call a timeout, 2) having a fumble on the opponents 1 yard line go 99 yards the other way, and 3) botching a 2 pt conversion in OT, who wouldn't want to keep this party going to see what's in store for 2019 and beyond?
    ...and the top recruiting classes in the MAC!
    AORedHawk33redhawk11
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    DSnyder15 said:

You mean the same thing that happened last year?

SMH
    grumpy1QuinoaburgerJHVMUFBAlum
  • It sounds like we are dealing with a substantially "lowered bar" at this point... and I'm shocked at the number of posters who seem to be OK with that.
    redhawk11AORedHawk33Quinoaburgergrumpy1JHVMUFBAlumMacCracken
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Let the season play out.  At 3-6 in a must win season, at this point the season is a failure again. Chuck was given one last chance this year and it does not look good at this point.  However, there are still 3 games left. Beat OU and NIU and finish 6-6 and go to a bowl game, then it looks different.  Wins over NIU and Ohio would be his two best wins in his 5 seasons.  But right now, this season is a complete failure and we need a change.  Kind of down to a last gasp chance at this point, IMO.
    QuinoaburgerAORedHawk33grumpy1Bash_Riprockmz343MoHawkJHVMUFBAlum