Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Bowl????

Comments

• NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2018
    I think struggling to win three straight at the end of the season to finish .500, needing a miracle by a bad BG team to get us into the MACC, and then being left out of a 78 team bowl lineup pretty much reflects where we are as a program. It is quite obviously not where we want to be. 2016 provided late season optimism. 2017 provided bitter disappointment at chronic underachievement. Now 2018 has become the poster child for continuing underachievement and disappointment.
    AORedHawk33Bash_RiprockJHVMUFBAlumDICK
    TCU just locked down a bowl bid.
  • mpurdy22mpurdy22 Havighurstite
    USC lost but TCU won. Now we wait and see
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Our odds are not good
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    =>81 Bowl Eligible teams for 78 spots right now. 1 team left who can become bowl eligible. GO HERD!

Marshall
    5-6 Va Tech 12/1 noon (ACC Network)
    mpurdy22
    edited November 2018
    How is BYU, who lost at home to NIU, leading PAC 12 South Champ Utah 20-0 at halftime? Crazy season!
    Nescacdad said:

How is BYU, who lost at home to NIU, leading PAC 12 South Champ Utah 20-0 at halftime? Crazy season!

=>Akron beat B1G West Champ Northwestern. EMU beat Purdue who beat tOSU.

NescacdadJHVMUFBAlum
    Well Moll...what are our chances in your esteemed opinion?
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    mollautt said:

Nescacdad said:

=>Akron beat B1G West Champ Northwestern. EMU beat Purdue who beat tOSU.

We lost a close game to Army and kind of competed for a while against Cincinnati

Re6H5wk
  • MiamitexxMiamitexx Havighurstite
    edited November 2018

Three teams will be home sitting with 6 wins with Va Tech able to win as well.  Odds are not good.  Other 6-6 teams (NON P5 schools) that I looked at besides MU are;  Tulane, S Miss, Lou Monroe and Wyo.  Besides maybe EMU at 7-5, these are the teams that will most likely sit and watch.  Three of those six teams will be home IMO and four of them will be if Va Tech wins. 

EMU did beat Purdue so I think they get a bid over us.... plus the 7 wins....

Wyoming seems like a good fit for Boise as well.

mollautt said:

Interesting that both ESPN guys are projecting 7 MAC teams in a bowl. Seems unlikely based on Moll's analysis.

=>Keep in mind I am making best guesses.  So my over/under is 83 bowl eligible teams.

What we can agree from all this is FBS CLEARLY needs another 8 or 9 bowl games.  It is not fair that some 6-6 MAC and Sun Belt teams are likely not going to get rewarded a bowl participation trophy.
    =>Will be 81 to 82.
    It’s all about proximity and fan base for those last few spots...unfortunately we are mostly disadvantaged on both and not sure there is much impact on TV ratings if you interchange these teams except for Virginia Tech.
    Already noted but our best shot may be if a MAC bowl prefers us to WMU or EMU...not sure that is the case. Either would get the nod over us for Detroit due to proximity but as noted by others previously if for some reason Toledo got the Quick Lane spot we might have a shot at one of the far flung MAC bowl destinations (I guess).
  • Nescacdad said:

It’s the “Holy War” in Utah. Throw out the records.
    NescacdadMiamitexx
    Newest projections have B10 team back in Quick Lane due to Purdue and Minnesota winning. That pretty much kills it. EMU may be without a bowl as well.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Wisconsin shit the bed, that hurt
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    C'est la Chuck
  • CycloneAlCycloneAl Havighurstite
    Jerry Palm has us in the First Responders bowl vs. Duke
    JHVMUFBAlumDICK
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    Cincykid3 said:

Newest projections have B10 team back in Quick Lane due to Purdue and Minnesota winning. That pretty much kills it. EMU may be without a bowl as well.

MU looks to be out sadly unless some miracle happens to get us selected into a bowl.

Especially bad for the MAC is EMU may be out as well.
    EMU at 7-5 with win over Purdue likely out while Purdue 6-6 going bowling (with wins over BC, OSU, Iowa - all top 25 at one time).
    There is no fairness in bowl selections as NCAA does not control it and fans and money drives it all. EMU had great season as 4 of their losses were within 1 score (one OT) plus close loss to Army.
    They were on the verge of a really solid season.
    Hmm.... that sounds like us who also sadly fell short this year.
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    CycloneAl said:

That would be awesome, but I think that was posted late last night (about 9+ hours ago).
    I also counted 7 MAC schools in bowl.
    That would be fantastic if this became a reality!

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions
    Footbalhead
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2018
    Per Yahoo Sports, these are all of the bowl eligible teams (81). If VT beats Marshall, there will be 82 for 78 spots:

AAC (7): Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, Temple, Tulane
    ACC (10): Boston College, Clemson, Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami, NC State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia, Wake Forest
    Big 12 (7): Baylor, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, West Virginia
    Big Ten (9): Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin
    C-USA (7): Florida International, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Southern Miss, UAB
    Independent (3): Army, BYU, Notre Dame
    MAC (7): Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, Miami (Ohio), Northern Illinois, Ohio, Toledo, Western Michigan
    Mountain West (7): Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, San Diego State, Utah State, Wyoming
    Pac-12 (7): Arizona State, Cal, Oregon, Stanford, Utah, Washington, Washington State
    SEC (11): Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt
    Sun Belt (6 ) : Appalachian State, Arkansas State, Georgia Southern, Louisiana Lafayette, Louisiana Monroe, Troy

It's pretty simple- assuming 82 are eligible, which 4 teams from this list are left out before us? Maybe a couple Sun Belt teams, but highly unlikely there are 4 total.

https://sports.yahoo.com/updated-college-football-bowl-picture-whos-eligible-whos-eliminated-044125794.html
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2018
    CycloneAl said:

The day after Christmas, again. But this time outdoors at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. Where the weather can be warm, cool, or ice stormy.
  • MiamitexxMiamitexx Havighurstite
    So if Jerry Palm has us in, Who are the two 7-5 teams that are out?  I see every MAC team in and only 6 -6 team out of the non P5 schools is Wyoming.  If that is the case, two 7 wins teams are out?  Still very grim.... may be a late post like JHVMU said. 
  • As others have correctly said, in the situation we are in now who gets invited to which bowl has more to do with legal contracts between bowls/conferences and ticket revenue than football merit.  I don't think most of the bowl prognosticators understand the bowl/conference contracts very well, partly because they are so complicated with a lot of conditional clauses.  I know I don't understand them very well.  Army and BYU are independents with poor bowl contracts, and therefore they could get left out even though they have 9 (10?) and 7 wins respectively.  One thing the MAC has done better than most other conferences is build up its secondary bowl tie-ins, i.e. who gets to be the replacement team when another conference does not have enough teams to fill all of its bowl invites.  Next Monday we will find out if those secondary tie-ins are good enough to get us a bowl.
    BYU and Army aren’t getting left out.
    MiamitexxAORedHawk33Re6H5wkNescacdad

As others have correctly said, in the situation we are in now who gets invited to which bowl has more to do with legal contracts between bowls/conferences and ticket revenue than football merit.  I don't think most of the bowl prognosticators understand the bowl/conference contracts very well, partly because they are so complicated with a lot of conditional clauses.  I know I don't understand them very well.  Army and BYU are independents with poor bowl contracts, and therefore they could get left out even though they have 9 (10?) and 7 wins respectively.  One thing the MAC has done better than most other conferences is build up its secondary bowl tie-ins, i.e. who gets to be the replacement team when another conference does not have enough teams to fill all of its bowl invites.  Next Monday we will find out if those secondary tie-ins are good enough to get us a bowl.

=>BYU had a bowl contract with ESPN. If BYU is bowl eligible the school get a an ESPN run bowl.

• CycloneAlCycloneAl Havighurstite
    Palm left out BYU and Army because they have no conference tie-in
    CycloneAl said:

Maybe he should stick to basketball.

FootbalheadMiamitexx
  • CycloneAl said:

It's amazing that someone so ignorant gets paid to do that job. He's also consistently one of the worst bracketologists when it comes to college basketball.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Toledo is in the Bahamas Bowl vs FIU