Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2016 MLB Thread

The Reds get their own thread. Everyone else can go here, I suppose.

The guy that caught five foul balls at the Tigers game yesterday is an embarrassment (probably @JohnnyMac). If you're not in Little League anymore, leave the glove at home, loser. Bare hands, wuss.
Re6H5wk

Comments

• JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    I don't always go to baseball games, but when I do, I catch 5 foul balls.

• TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    I saw the headline but didn't pay attention to the details. Is it the famous 'ball hawk' who literally only goes to games to get foul balls?
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

I don't always go to baseball games, but when I do, I catch 5 foul balls.

The most interesting man on Hawktalk!
    TruckCrew said:

I saw the headline but didn't pay attention to the details. Is it the famous 'ball hawk' who literally only goes to games to get foul balls?

I think there are a lot of those guys.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    How many of you have MLB.tv?
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

TruckCrew said:

I think there are a lot of those guys.
    Yeah, but there is only one Zack Hample.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Manfred should just fire the entire 2016 Twins team into the sun.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    The Twins and Braves need a series together, and they need it now.
    redhawk11QuinoaburgerLove_and_HonorDSnyder15
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum

Manfred should just fire the entire 2016 Twins team into the sun.

7th in the AL in ERA is decent. Of course, that doesn't make very much difference when you're only scoring 1.6 runs per game.
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

I root for all the small market teams. Hate to see this happening to a good organization.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

It would get rained out. Or a giant sinkhole would open. Or aliens.
  • ScalperScalper Wealthy Alum
    Molepeople most likely.
    RIP Braves and Twins going 0-162. So sad.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

3 game winning streaks for both teams! #25thAnniversaryReunionParty

DICK said:

3 game winning streaks for both teams! #25thAnniversaryReunionParty
    Which might make the Angels and Marlins the two most pathetic franchises...at least this week.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    The Twins started out 3-9 in 1991...

The Twins started out 3-9 in 1991...

But they didn't start 0-9. I think I heard a stat that every team to start 0-9 ended up with 100+ losses. I'm not saying the Twins will (in fact I'm pretty sure they won't), but I certainly do not envision them making the playoffs.
    Bad manager Brad Ausmus trying to convince the umpires that a wedding ring was doctoring the ball or whatever today might have been the saddest thing that I've ever seen.
    DSnyder15

Bad manager Brad Ausmus trying to convince the umpires that a wedding ring was doctoring the ball or whatever today might have been the saddest thing that I've ever seen.

Not once but twice. Sad indeed.
    Is it true the Braves have only hit 3 home runs this year?
    JohnnyMac said:

Is it true the Braves have only hit 3 home runs this year?

Yes, remarkably. Freeman, Stubbs, and some guy named Adonis Garcia.
  • fcsofenfcsofen Senior Barfly
    edited April 2016

Just to be accurate, it was not a wedding ring. It was a piece of rolled up tape. Not that it really matters. I didn't understand what his argument was but he is not a bad manager.

If that's the saddest thing you've seen, you've lived a very cloistered life.

Home-plate umpire Ramon DeJesus acted on Ausmus’ request, and it
    appeared that Shaw’s wedding band was wrapped in tape. It wasn’t — it
    was just a rubber ring

And he is a bad manager.
    edited April 2016

I just wonder what you would say if your team's manager did the same thing? I think your anti-Detroit animus is showing.

And who said it was a "rubber ring?" I watched the game and heard no such statement nor have I ever heard of a rubber ring, except what comes out of a $.50 candy/gift bubble.

• JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    fcsofen said:

I just wonder what you would say if your team's manager did the same thing? I think your anti-Detroit animus is showing.

And who said it was a "rubber ring?" I watched the game and heard no such statement nor have I ever heard of a rubber ring, except what comes out of a $.50 candy/gift bubble.

A lot of athletes wear silicone wedding rings. Prevents degloving if the ring is caught on anything while playing and it won't injure opposing players since it isn't hard. Andy Dalton wears one when he plays.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/09/for_quarterback_kirk_cousins_t.html
     I've been watching b-ball for many years and attended/watched hundreds of games but this is new to me. I stand duly informed. 
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Yeah, the silicone rings are becoming a bigger thing--you can still wear the ring without risking the total loss of your finger.
    fcsofen said:

Joe Girardi relies on his binder of doom way too much and he is terrible with a bullpen. Not Joe Torre bad, but still bad.

Look, Ausmus is on a very hot seat and it was a decent shock that he wasn't fired last year. And I don't see him getting another job right away once he is canned. So while you may disagree with me that he is a bad manager, I'm probably more correct on this than you are.
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Bryce Harper is fun to watch.  Thankfully...because the Reds aren't going to be interesting at all this year. 
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    I love Joe Girardi. But, thinking shifting should be illegal is just stupid. If you don't like shifts, teach your players to be well rounded hitters who can hit to all fields.
    MowchIam4hawks