Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2017 Baseball Season

MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
Well, with a new facility and new field, hopefully brighter things are ahead! On to Omaha!
redhawk11

Comments

• Iam4hawksIam4hawks Wealthy Alum
    Looking forward to the season. From what I understand we should be a year better. I think the pitching staff was on the youngish is last year. Looking forward to the season. 

• killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    edited February 2017
    Start out the season at Arkansas who was picked 5th in the SEC West.

It seems all three games will be on SEC Network Plus (on ESPN3)
  • aceace Summer Orientee
    Yes, pitching was quite young. Our three most used starters consisted of two freshmen and a sophomore. Losing a couple bats but still a lot returning on the offensive side as well.
  • Basically they are returning 96% of innings pitched from last year. Big changes will include Steve Sada moving from 2nd-base to CF, and a JC transfer from Puerto Rico will be playing SS, and he is the real deal defensively. Will also bring some speed to the lineup.

Expect big years from Haffey at first base and Yacek at third.
    After seeing the video, I'm curious to watch the catchers in action. Sounds like they are deep behind the plate when all are healthy. 

• aceace Summer Orientee
    This is likely what our starting lineup will look like:

C: Hayden Senger (So)
    1B: Ross Haffey (Jr)
    2B: Will Vogelsang (Fr)
    3B: Adam Yacek (Sr)
    SS: Carlos Texidor (Jr)
    OF: Tyler Harris (Sr)
    OF: Steve Sada (Sr)
    OF: Dallas Hall (So)
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Some great baseball names
  • MowchMowch Senior Barfly
    ace said:

This is likely what our starting lineup will look like:

C: Hayden Senger (So)
    1B: Ross Haffey (Jr)
    2B: Will Vogelsang (Fr)
    3B: Adam Yacek (Sr)
    SS: Carlos Texidor (Jr)
    OF: Tyler Harris (Sr)
    OF: Steve Sada (Sr)
    OF: Dallas Hall (So)
    I know members of the Vogelsang family. They are terrific people.

• Miami is picked to finish 2nd in the East behind Kent State. No surprise there.
  • CMHskinsCMHskins Havighurstite
    Looking forward to a successful season. Good luck team
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited February 2017
    When's the last we made the NCAA Tournament? Was it back when we hung 35 on Quinnipiac in '05?
  • Listen to The Red Zone out of Fayetteville, AR at 7:40 am ET for a preview of this weekend's baseball series.

http://www.921theticket.com/

starting pitcher for the 'Hawks gets rocked, but relief has come in and done a nice job 6-0 4th inning. 
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Eaton's Tweet:

"For sure not me. That was way to smooth!"
    Always though to get a read on a northern team playing a southern team in early baseball action, but we certainly didn't look great by any stretch. 
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Wright State, who has won games in the last two NCAA tourneys, went to #10 Clemson and won 2 out of 3.
    Re6H5wkCMHskinsProfessor_Fate
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    0-6 so far.....change the field back to grass!
  • DICK said:

Wright State, who has won games in the last two NCAA tourneys, went to #10 Clemson and won 2 out of 3.

Thanks for the props, Dick! Big rebuilding year for the Raiders. Lost short stop and catcher to MLB after back to back Horizon League and NCAA Regional Championship game appearances.
    We scored 9 runs in seven games.....look no further than that if looking for the cause of our slow start. 

• Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    9 runs.........And Miami isn't playing Wright State home/home this season
    Miami 2-9 since sweeping Illinois State
  • fcsofenfcsofen Senior Barfly
    That's the problem when you hire the son of a major benefactor. Awful hard to fire him--regardless if the grounds to do so exist.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    fcsofen said:

That's the problem when you hire the son of a major benefactor. Awful hard to fire him--regardless if the grounds to do so exist.

Agreed, the team is terrible
    But have you seen the facility? It's much better than that dump that Kent State plays in. And where has Kent State even gotten to in the last 10 seasons of post season play?
  • JDAD78JDAD78 Summer Orientee

But have you seen the facility? It's much better than that dump that Kent State plays in. And where has Kent State even gotten to in the last 10 seasons of post season play?

The College World Series.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    JDAD78 said:

I think the Professor was wearing his sarcasm hat.

redhawk11 said:

JDAD78 said:

I think the Professor was wearing his sarcasm hat.

I was.  There was a poster, a while back, who was saying that Miami's baseball was better than Kent State because of facilities.  I wanted to see if common sense had returned.  JDAD78 has restored my faith in common sense.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    I'm not that worried yet. Nonconference play doesn't mean a whole lot, especially for a northern team in a 1-bid league. We're 5-5 in games against teams that aren't from major conferences and 4-3 against northern teams. We finished 3rd in the MAC in 2014 and 2016 and we were well below .500 OOC both years. It's too early to be making judgements.
    TruckCrew
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    I thought the same thing after looking at the results. Road sweeps at SEC schools, including UK who just swept Texas A&M.