Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Recruiting News

I'm sure new Coach Duff is recruiting hard.
redhawk11

Comments

• Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Do we even have spots?
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    2018. Maybe 2019.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    I just wish she would announce her staff!! We need bodies to do this recruiting!!
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    There were no seniors on this year's team.
    With only 12 players, there was 1 scholarship open.
    Miami signed 1 player during the early signing period.

So, with no scholarships available for this fall, there is no priority right now.

The big recruiting priority will be this summer on the AAU & All Star circuit to find players for the early signing period next fall.
    Spanks004
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    We all would LOVE to have Amy Tucker on the staff (she just retired). Local girl (woman).

Of course, her roots are still with Stanford, so it won't happen. The funny thing is, she knows MAC basketball very well and follows it.
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    D_Day said:

There were no seniors on this year's team.
    With only 12 players, there was 1 scholarship open.
    Miami signed 1 player during the early signing period.

So, with no scholarships available for this fall, there is no priority right now.

The big recruiting priority will be this summer on the AAU & All Star circuit to find players for the early signing period next fall.
    I believe the NCAA D1 limit for women's BB is 15 scholarships compared to the men's 13.

This would mean Coach Duffy has flexibility if she can find someone who can play.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    The 15 number is correct, but the MAC may have a lower limit. In actuality, 15 girls on scholarship may create more problems than it solves.  Girls generally have fewer eligibility issues and also fewer women transfer.  So if you have 13 or 14 or 15 scholarship girls all healthy and practicing, you are going to have a bunch of girls sitting the bench and not playing.  That usually causes problems.
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    In checking Twitter I see that Coach Duffy has offered '18 MacKenzie Blazek, a 6'2" C from Whiteland, IN.

First offer I am aware of from the new coach.

I notice that she has recently starting following a few other prospects on Twitter that may indicate she has interest in them. All look to be '18 or '19.

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I wonder if someone may be transferring.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

I wonder if someone may be transferring.

Didn't you say we have a scholarship(s) open for 2018 anyway?
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited April 2017
    We now have at least one scholarship open as the girl from Mason is no longer coming, which was posted on the Duffy thread today by hawkfan94.  I am not sure if we actually can give 15 scholarships or not ( it seems to me that the MAC may have had or may still have a limit of 13) or whether or not we actually want more than 13 scholarship girls on the roster at one time as having that many girls when you can only play 5 at a time often creates problems.