Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Devin Davis

endofslantendofslant Summer Orientee
Have heard he will be on the Dayton staff.

Comments

• EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Haven't heard that. But it would be interesting.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited May 2017
    If true, and I hope that it is, it is interesting that Damon Frierson and Devin Davis, who were both Miami stars on multiple NCAA teams in the 90's, are both getting entry level college coaching positions 20 years after they started together on an NCAA tournament team.  I hope this is the start of successful coaching careers.
    Re6H5wk
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    Devin will have a player development position at Dayton. He and Anthony Grant go way back. Grant and Frank Martin were assistant coaches at Senior HS in Miami under Shakey Rodriquez.

Grant hired Devin at Alabama as a S&C coach as well.
  • fcsofenfcsofen Senior Barfly
    Extremely disappointed that Devin is going to Dayton. I sure wish Owens would have hired him for the same position at Miami, especially since Damon will have no on-court responsibilities. Devin at Miami would be a great move. Sorry it didn't happen.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    Great move by Devin!  Dayton pays VERY well!
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    edited May 2017
    Great fans and great facility too. Hope we can find a way some day to start playing again.
    Dayton may pay "very well" but how much do you think they pay someone to do that job? $35-$50K? Yea, I'll bet that's all he's getting. He's not getting as much as any assistant or probably even a DOBO. Or the head trainer. Or the S & C guy. And probably others. He's not doing it for the money. It's an investment to get in the coaching game.

DSnyder15DICK
    I believe Cooper wanted to hire Devin as Miami's S&C coach. He and Devin developed a nice relationship
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    fcsofen said:

Dayton may pay "very well" but how much do you think they pay someone to do that job? $35-$50K? Yea, I'll bet that's all he's getting. He's not getting as much as any assistant or probably even a DOBO. Or the head trainer. Or the S & C guy. And probably others. He's not doing it for the money. It's an investment to get in the coaching game.

It's a coaching game he's already in: as Nick said, Grant hired him at Alabama. He'd be a fool to turn down a lower-tier position at UD with a guy who already likes him in favor of a lower-tier position at Miami with a guy he doesn't know from Adam.
    EDDIE
    edited May 2017
    I don't disagree with anything you posted. Mine was just "wishful thinking." And I read the article so I know he's already in the coaching game. I should have said he went to Dayton to "advance" his coaching career. As for being a fool, I am sure Dayton is not Devin's final coaching location. It's just a step which he could have taken at a number of schools, including Miami. The object is to improve his resume. 
    edited May 2017
    see video of Devin Davis posted @DaytonMBB twitter today.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    I'm excited for Devin! Did anyone see when the Greek Freak came to UD's open gym, a few weeks ago, to play pick up games with his little brother?
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    He will use to move up. Great move by Devin to take this UD job. I am happy for him.