Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

USMNT vs Mexico

MiamiMACMiamiMAC Havighurstite
5-4-1. Great to see Arena is back.
AORedHawk33

Comments

• QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Assistant: So Bruce, what's our lineup going to look like against Mexico?

Arena: Well, I'm going to bench Dempsey, Johnson, Brooks, and Howard; replace them with Arriola, Beasley, Ream, and Guzan; and we're going to play a 5-2-3.

Assistant: Haha, good one. But seriously though, what's our lineup going to be?

Arena: No joke. YOLO!
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Not a big soccer fan but what excitement Bradley brings to the US team!
  • hoosierhawkhoosierhawk Senior Barfly
    We were getting shots and winning corners, but man, its not fun watching your team be on the wrong end of a 75/25 possession split.
  • muohiobkmuohiobk Off-Campus Slummer

We were getting shots and winning corners, but man, its not fun watching your team be on the wrong end of a 75/25 possession split.

Anytime you hold mexico to 1 shot on goal at Azteca I will take it.

Still don't get starting Guzan but for most part the interesting lineup seemed to work out. It is amazing to see what happens when the players actually know what is expected of them and what the role within the system is. 
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

Not a big soccer fan 

Keep it that way.
    Re6H5wkDSnyder15
  • MiamiMACMiamiMAC Havighurstite
    I know that people are going to talk this game up as if it were a moral victory, but I hate seeing the return of Arena ball.  We are regressing right back to the beat horrible teams, tie bad to mediocre teams and lose to everyone else.  This whole match is really telling.  We finally have true play maker in Pulisic, a strong forward in Wood, healthy Altidore and Dempsey, and Arena sets up a 5-4-1 for much of the game.  

I still don't know why Bradley is on the field.  His goal was beautiful but his give aways and penalties were horrible.

I just feel we are back to the USMNT of old with players that shouldn't see the pitch, stuff the box tactics and hope for a lucky goal.  Depressing watching Wood have to try and chase down his own clearances.  

• MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    MiamiMAC said:

I know that people are going to talk this game up as if it were a moral victory, but I hate seeing the return of Arena ball.  We are regressing right back to the beat horrible teams, tie bad to mediocre teams and lose to everyone else.  This whole match is really telling.  We finally have true play maker in Pulisic, a strong forward in Wood, healthy Altidore and Dempsey, and Arena sets up a 5-4-1 for much of the game.  

I still don't know why Bradley is on the field.  His goal was beautiful but his give aways and penalties were horrible.

I just feel we are back to the USMNT of old with players that shouldn't see the pitch, stuff the box tactics and hope for a lucky goal.  Depressing watching Wood have to try and chase down his own clearances.  

Wasnt Arenas supposed to be the savior of the USMNT?
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    We wanted one point. In the first half we were attacking, pressing, good possession. After we scored our goal and the game was tied, we were definitely playing for the win. It's all about long term strategy, I am fine with how it turned out.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum

Bluesman said:

Not a big soccer fan 

Keep it that way.
    Or label the thread "Baseball"  

:D :D
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    MiamiMAC said:

I know that people are going to talk this game up as if it were a moral victory, but I hate seeing the return of Arena ball. We are regressing right back to the beat horrible teams, tie bad to mediocre teams and lose to everyone else. 

Like when Arena beat Portugal and Mexico at the World Cup? As opposed to the Klinsmann strategy of "lose to horrible teams, lose to bad to mediocre teams, and lose to good teams, but get a few incredible wins in random friendlies"? Arena just can't win with some people. He put on a masterclass in that game and he's still getting criticized.

We only got outshot 10-7 and we actually had more shots on goal than Mexico. But apparently you prefer Klinsmann's strategy at the Azteca where we got a tie despite being outshot 17-1. And you talk about "players that shouldn't see the pitch". Well it's better to have role players who have one job, know exactly what that job is, and are fully capable of executing it, rather than Jurgen's strategy of trying to shoehorn the most talented players onto the field and ending up with half the lineup playing out of their natural position.

Trying to play a possession game at the Azteca is basically a suicide mission. What we get with Bruce is a guy who has some sense of strategy and pragmatism to know that and adapt to it. Even though the possession was lopsided, it was basically an even game. The team that dominates possession isn't necessarily the team that dominates the game. I watched a game between Iceland and the Netherlands a few years ago where the Netherlands had a 70-30 possession edge, but Iceland completely outplayed them and won 2-0, and it could have easily been 4-0 or 5-0.
    yanksalexSpanks004AORedHawk33gentbaseball12
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

MiamiMAC said:

I know that people are going to talk this game up as if it were a moral victory, but I hate seeing the return of Arena ball. We are regressing right back to the beat horrible teams, tie bad to mediocre teams and lose to everyone else. 

Like when Arena beat Portugal and Mexico at the World Cup? As opposed to the Klinsmann strategy of "lose to horrible teams, lose to bad to mediocre teams, and lose to good teams, but get a few incredible wins in random friendlies"? Arena just can't win with some people. He put on a masterclass in that game and he's still getting criticized.

We only got outshot 10-7 and we actually had more shots on goal than Mexico. But apparently you prefer Klinsmann's strategy at the Azteca where we got a tie despite being outshot 17-1. And you talk about "players that shouldn't see the pitch". Well it's better to have role players who have one job, know exactly what that job is, and are fully capable of executing it, rather than Jurgen's strategy of trying to shoehorn the most talented players onto the field and ending up with half the lineup playing out of their natural position.

Trying to play a possession game at the Azteca is basically a suicide mission. What we get with Bruce is a guy who has some sense of strategy and pragmatism to know that and adapt to it. Even though the possession was lopsided, it was basically an even game. The team that dominates possession isn't necessarily the team that dominates the game. I watched a game between Iceland and the Netherlands a few years ago where the Netherlands had a 70-30 possession edge, but Iceland completely outplayed them and won 2-0, and it could have easily been 4-0 or 5-0.
    Amen.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    MiamiMAC said:

What moral victory? We went in with the goal of getting 1 point, and we came away with 1 point. Seems we achieved our objective.

DSnyder15