Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Recruiting 2018-Early Signing Period

2 LOI now in!!

Vannessa Garrelts, 5'4" guard from Marian Central Catholic in Spring Grove Illinois.

Alexis Straw, 5'9" guard from Lebanon High in Lebanon, Ohio.

Welcome aboard and I believe more to come!

Comments

• BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum

3rd one in for Megan Duffy today!

Kennedy Taylor, 5'9" guard, from Bishop Hartley in Columbus, Ohio.

Welcome aboard!

• laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    What happened to Nike's girlfriend?
  • laxdaddy said:

She's a high school senior. Class of 2018.
  • laxdaddy said:

Shouldn't she have signed with this class then? Or still LOI to come?
  • laxdaddy said:

Shouldn't she have signed with this class then? Or still LOI to come?
    You're right. Disregard my previous post. I have no idea.
    dave67
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum

laxdaddy said:

She's class of 2019 I thought?
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Senior Barfly
    edited November 2017

laxdaddy said:

She's 2018.  Her twitter account is all splashed with Miami, and it says Miami WBB '22 in her profile, so I'm assuming this one may come in tomorrow?

laxdaddy said:

She's 2018.  Her twitter account is all splashed with Miami, and it says Miami WBB '22 in her profile, so I'm assuming this one may come in tomorrow?

Good call. It would be nice if she could enroll early even...
  • Have we heard anything more on this?
    No, but she is still retweeting Miami Bball tweets and also has her photos as Miami
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum

Have we heard anything more on this?

My cousin’s great aunt-oh well, you get the idea.
    There still has been no press release on the class that I aware of. That tells me they are waiting on something. Perhaps it is a compliance issue. Test scores, transcripts? Who knows but the coaches?
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    laxdaddy said:

There still has been no press release on the class that I aware of. That tells me they are waiting on something. Perhaps it is a compliance issue. Test scores, transcripts? Who knows but the coaches?

but it only included the first 3, Nia was not included.
    D_Day said:

laxdaddy said:

That is not a good sign. My guess is that they were waiting on her. If the presser is out the ship may be sailing elsewhere.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    laxdaddy said:

D_Day said:

laxdaddy said:

That is not a good sign. My guess is that they were waiting on her. If the presser is out the ship may be sailing elsewhere.
    If they are waiting on a test score or something like that, they aren't going to ignore the other recruits who have signed. That's not fair to them. If she ends up signing, I'm sure there will be another release.

redhawk11 said:

laxdaddy said:

D_Day said:

laxdaddy said:

If they are waiting on a test score or something like that, they aren't going to ignore the other recruits who have signed. That's not fair to them. If she ends up signing, I'm sure there will be another release.

Agree that it is not fair to the other recruits. However, they did wait 5 days for something. Men's BB put out release on signing day. All the other women signed on 11/8. Normally the release would have been done that day. They were waiting for something and then threw in the towel.
    DICK
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Either Nia has had second thoughts and is holding her options open (as she has not committed elsewhere) OR she has not yet qualified academically ( she does have a high GPA though).  It might be noted that one reason Coach Owens was able to get such a strong class late is that those guys did not qualify academically till the Spring, so that is at least a possibility.
  • Maybe Nia and Nike are no longer a thing.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

Maybe Nia and Nike are no longer a thing.

Maybe she doesn't want to come to Miami if they break up. So she is just going to see if they're still together when the next signing day rolls around. These are high school kids we are dealing with when it comes to recruiting. Many factors at play.

• mrgredhawkmrgredhawk Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

Maybe Nia and Nike are no longer a thing.

Maybe she doesn't want to come to Miami if they break up. So she is just going to see if they're still together when the next signing day rolls around. These are high school kids we are dealing with when it comes to recruiting. Many factors at play.

Agreed...Or maybe Nike kills it and transfers elsewhere and as a talented Senior she can land where she chooses.... Obviously we want the signed commitment but there are so many factors at play, not signing is the wise move.
    redhawk11
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Hormones affect both men and women senior HS athletes. Patience.