Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

The Quest For Qatar

mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
=>USMNT gets the 1-0 win in the all important Paraguay friendly as we begin our final run to the upcoming FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar! Bobby Wood PK.

Comments

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    So this is happening?
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

So this is happening?

=>It has happened!
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    Only FIFA would think an athletic event in the desert, in the high heat of the summer would be a good idea.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    All about the money...
  • 90skin90skin Wealthy Alum
    Maybe they can play the games at midnight - 2 am so it will be cooler and work out well for TV in US, Asia, and late evening in Europe.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    They're actually holding the 2022 tournament in December because apparently it's easier to readjust the entire world soccer schedule than it is to just hold it in a place that's actually capable of hosting.
    mollautt
    They will be playing the games at midnight..... somewhere.
    (ducking)
    90skin said:

Not so fast my friend.   Qatar may not stay bought.  (But I bet they do)

=>Link not working for me.  But I have seen many of these articles about stripping Qatar for years now and nothing has really taken any traction.
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    What is this 2022 talk? We should all be looking forward to the World Cup that is just a couple of months away, right? RIGHT?!?!?!

USA! USA! USA!
    mollauttmoose
    Weird stuff going on in Lyon. France is playing their number 1 lineup. The US is playing a lineup that outside of Bobby Wood has only 37 career appearances, with no player having more than 9. The halftime score: USA 1, France 0.
    France scored in the 78th minute and it finished as a 1-1 tie. When I saw the lineups I thought it could have been a score of 5 or 6 to 0. Unbelievable performance. Also, I'm pretty sure this means that if France wins the tournament we can declare ourselves co-champions.
    dave67Mowch
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    I wouldn’t say unbelievable overall performance. I believe the US had less than 40% possession and 1 shot on goal. Defensively stellar, yes.
    Spanks004 said:

I wouldn’t say unbelievable overall performance. I believe the US had less than 40% possession and 1 shot on goal. Defensively stellar, yes.

Defense does tend to be a pretty significant part of the game, yes. France's primary starting lineup at Euro 2016 averaged close to 3 goals per game and only scored fewer than 2 once. This team is even better than that team. We played a glorified U23 team. I'm willing to call a tie an unbelievable performance regardless of the possession split.
    DSnyder15
  • muohiobkmuohiobk Off-Campus Slummer
    If only we had brought a team like that to T&T.... 

There is certainly talent in the pipeline- It should be interesting to see who ends up getting hired as manager. I actually liked the 5 across back in that game, still too many easy give aways but you expect that a little with a team that young
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    How are you predicting as the next manager??  Who would you like to see as the manager??
    Spanks004 said:

=>Yes. Frogs were dominant in everything except the scoreline.  

US defensive line was gritty and the keeper was for real.  

But it was a game that looked like it should have been 3-1 (or worse) but luckily ended up 1-1. 
  • muohiobkmuohiobk Off-Campus Slummer
    How are you predicting as the next manager??  Who would you like to see as the manager??
    Think it depends on who is available after world cup cycle/ if they decide to stay with US or go with foreign coach.

I would not be suprised to see a list of  among others include
    • Caleb Porter
    • Tab Ramos
    • Jesse Marsch
    I actually would like any of the above if stayed with US guy. Marsch is interesting to me as I follow RBNY and like what he has done there. Tab would already have expierence with some of the guys in camp being the under 20 coach so he would  be high on list I would think.

• TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!
    AORedHawk33
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    This makes me feel 0.01% better that we aren’t playing in Russia.
    DSnyder15 said:

The two guys getting the most hype right now are Jesse Marsch and Gregg Berhalter. We could do worse than those guys, but neither is especially inspiring. Tab Ramos has done a pretty good job with the youth national teams; he's worth a look. Oscar Pareja and Caleb Porter are other MLS guys who might be considered. We'll also probably look abroad, but I'm not sure which foreign coaches might be in consideration. Apparently Sunil Gulati tried to hire Martin O'Neill before being told he shouldn't do that as a lame duck President. Miguel Herrera has lobbied for the job in the past. My dream hire would be David Wagner, but I don't think he would be interested right now since Huddersfield was able to avoid relegation.

I think our talent pool right now is most suited to playing a 5-3-2. Our outside backs are better at getting forward than defending, our midfield talent is the middle instead of the outside, and we have a ton of young talent at the CB position (Miazga 22, CCV 20, EPB 21, Parker 25, Zimmerman 25, Glad 21, Brooks 25). That was actually the formation we used in the France game, and it looked like it suited our players, especially on defense. A name I would throw out there who has experience using that formation and has had success as an international coach is Louis van Gaal.
    DSnyder15
    News Flash : USA qualifies for 2026 World Cup!!!!
    NSF...TBD...oops, having only seen the headline today...N.B. I'm 5 hours ahead and still jet lagged...
    The big rumor going around right now about the coaching search is that no hire is going to be made until after the World Cup so they can wait and see if Mexico lets go of Juan Carlos Osorio after the tournament. The rumor is that he's the guy if they do, and if not it'll most likely be Berhalter or Ramos.
    It's being reported that US Soccer has officially reached a very tentative agreement with Juan Carlos Osorio to be the next coach. The deal will only go through if two things happen:

1. His contract with Mexico runs out on July 15. He's apparently having ongoing discussions with Mexico about extending his contract, but it's unclear how they're progressing.
    2. He doesn't get offered the Colombia job. Colombia had a mediocre tournament and their coach is super old, so there's speculation that he might get fired or retire. If that job opens up, Osorio is expected to be the favorite to get it.

The deal with the USMNT gets voided if he signs a contract with either Mexico or Colombia. I don't love this. Osorio is fine but not great, and I don't like the idea of hiring someone when he's pretty open about the fact that we're his third choice.
    DSnyder15
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    What is says is that he probably thinks Mexico and Columbia have more talent so those are better jobs.  Not exactly good news, but he should know.
    Why would we want a coach from rival?
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    This is a very uninspiring hire.

I’d like us to wait until after the World Cup. This is sort of a pipe dream, but if Roberto Martinez and Belgium parted ways, I think we could lure him over here.
    dave67

This is sort of a pipe dream, but if Roberto Martinez and Belgium parted ways, I think we could lure him over here.

I think we can take this off the table.
    moose

I'm pretty sure this means that if France wins the tournament we can declare ourselves co-champions.

Congratulations to the United States U-23 team on their Transitive Property World Cup Co-Championship.
    redhawk11