Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Rising From The Ashes: The 2018-19 Cavaliers Thread

I watched the Summer League game last night because I'm cool and make good decisions. Sexton was good. Ante Zizic looks legit. 

Better not make any plan for June 2019 because we'll be back in The Finals IMO.
mrgredhawkMUHawk84skin66DSnyder15Bash_RiprockDICKgrumpy1

Comments

• dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    Joking aside, I saw Sexton live in the NCAA tourney. Despite getting boatraced by Nova, he definitely stood out. I’m definately interested to see how he pans out.
    The_Sackman
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    It is impossible to always be the best team.  Part of the enjoyment of sports is watching a team develop and overcome adversity.  This will be an enjoyable year even if they are a middle of the pack team.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    This thread will be 3 pages long, 4 max.
    The_SackmanRe6H5wk
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    There was a long article in the Sunday paper today quoting the Cavs GM saying that the CAVs will not tank, they are keeping Kevin Love and looking to sign Rodney Hood and add some years to Larry Nance's contract and Dan Gilbert is willing to still pay the luxury tax.  The Cavs would be interested in perhaps trading guys like Korver or Hill depending on what they might get.  I would just say that it at least gives them some young players wbo will be eager to work hard and get better.  However, I do not see them in the playoffs next year.  I would thing the 7 other teams that made the playoffs last year will all be back plus probably the Pistons have more than the Cavs, not so sure what the other lesser teams have coming back.

edited July 2018
    DICK said:

There was a long article in the Sunday paper today quoting the Cavs GM saying that the CAVs will not tank, they are keeping Kevin Love and looking to sign Rodney Hood and add some years to Larry Nance's contract and Dan Gilbert is willing to still pay the luxury tax.  The Cavs would be interested in perhaps trading guys like Korver or Hill depending on what they might get.  I would just say that it at least gives them some young players wbo will be eager to work hard and get better.  However, I do not see them in the playoffs next year.  I would thing the 7 other teams that made the playoffs last year will all be back plus probably the Pistons have more than the Cavs, not so sure what the other lesser teams have coming back.

I really like Korver but I think his value is on a contending team....not the Cav's.  I think he will be traded before the season.  The Lakers seem like the logical choice...cap room, LeBron likes him and they need shooters. Hill we be traded for a second round pick if someone would pick up the contract.  Maybe he can be traded during the season to a team needing a PG because of injury.  I suspect he will be on the roster day 1.  Love is on the roster day 1....I think.  He is a bit of a conundrum for me.  On a team with a structured offense his value is much higher.  I believe that is why Stevens and Ainge covet him.  The Celtics defensive strategies would make it easier for him to be successful at that end.  If they get the right trade he will be gone by day 1 otherwise I think he will be traded during the season to a contender (unless the Cav's are a complete surprise and are one of the top 7-8 teams in the East).  I think he would still look good in a Celtic uniform with some of their younger assets coming back to us.  I like Love...would not mind seeing him stay.  The offense will be far more structured now that LBJ is gone and expect him to be far more effective.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    K-Love can play, his problem since he has been with the Cavs has been staying healthy.  As he gets older, that is unlikely to improve.
    DICK said:

K-Love can play, his problem since he has been with the Cavs has been staying healthy.  As he gets older, that is unlikely to improve.

His defensive rebounding is undervalued by many.  And I love his outlet passes.  Other than his 3pt shooting....I don't really think he fit well with LeBron.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    DSnyder15 said:

DICK said:

His defensive rebounding is undervalued by many.  And I love his outlet passes.  Other than his 3pt shooting....I don't really think he fit well with LeBron.
    I think it would be a mistake to strip the roster immediately and then tell Sexton "here you go, good luck". Let him play with some vets for half a year and then sell at the deadline. It shouldn't matter. They aren't going to make the playoffs anyway. What I would do and I can't remember if I posted this in the other Cavs thread is to actually add salary/years for picks. For example:

George Hill for Delly and a first (top ten protected). There is no reason why MIL wouldn't want an upgrade at backup PG who is only on the hook for this year. And as dumb as this sounds, Cleveland loves Delly.
    Whatever parts they want for Nic Batum and also a first. Eat those 3 years/75 mill but get the pick back.

Deals like this are smart for the long term. And in February, you can trade Kev after talking extension if he wants one (why not?).
    DSnyder15
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum

DSnyder15 said:

DICK said:

I think it would be a mistake to strip the roster immediately and then tell Sexton "here you go, good luck". Let him play with some vets for half a year and then sell at the deadline. It shouldn't matter. They aren't going to make the playoffs anyway. What I would do and I can't remember if I posted this in the other Cavs thread is to actually add salary/years for picks. For example:

George Hill for Delly and a first (top ten protected). There is no reason why MIL wouldn't want an upgrade at backup PG who is only on the hook for this year. And as dumb as this sounds, Cleveland loves Delly.
    Whatever parts they want for Nic Batum and also a first. Eat those 3 years/75 mill but get the pick back.

Deals like this are smart for the long term. And in February, you can trade Kev after talking extension if he wants one (why not?).
    In one day you went from them making the Finals to not making the playoffs.  During which post were you drinking?
    All of them.
    DICKredhawk11DSnyder15AORedHawk33
    Love and Sex, baby!!!

If an all-star actually wants to pretty much finish his career in a small market, what are you supposed to tell him? No? LOL at that idea. Bottoming out sucks but this is hardly a "we're going for it" play. I like it for a few reasons:

1. Tanking sucks. Kevin Love is better than whoever they might draft between 11-20 over the next two years anyway.
    2. He wants to be here (!!!).
    3. We buried Kyrie with people like Alonzo Gee and Manny Harris and Samardo Samuels and holy shit this list is long. Giving Sexton a star to play off of should help his development.
    4. There are more pieces that can be sold off for picks later. If you're going to build around Collin Sexton and K-Love (and Cedi Osman)(and Rodney Hood!!!!!!!!), that's a much better start than most teams trying to rebuild.
    5. Kev can (hopefully) go into the HOF a Cav and get his #0 retired one day. That matters.

The most important: I like Kev. I'm glad that he will ride out the rest of his prime with us. Sorry not sorry that I would rather have a proven commodity over a few 19 year olds in the future.
    DSnyder15gentbaseball12
    4 years/45 mill for Larry Jr...I like it!
    Professor_FateBash_Riprock
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Cavs O/U is 30.5 wins. What are your thoughts? I'm thinking slightly over as the East is, well, not the West.
  • Re6H5wk said:

Cavs O/U is 30.5 wins. What are your thoughts? I'm thinking slightly over as the East is, well, not the West.

Take the over.  40 wins and the 8 seed are in the Cavs future.  East is hot garbage beyond Boston, Philly, and Toronto (assuming a healthy Kawhi in a contract year). 
    Re6H5wk
    Over....41 wins
    Re6H5wk said:

They are very much not tanking. They should get over that just by playing hard.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    DSnyder15 said:

Over....41 wins

That seems unrealistic to me.
    AORedHawk33
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Don’t forget who the head coach is...
  • Don’t forget who the head coach is...

Who is the head coach? Seriously, I thought it was LeBron
    Someone check on Doug Snyder... Sexton might be the worst on ball defender I’ve seen
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum

Someone check on Doug Snyder... Sexton might be the worst on ball defender I’ve seen

Doug Snyder? I thought his name was Dee Snyder and he's not going to take it anymore!!
    AORedHawk33

He was in over his head last night. Bring him along slowly. He'll be fine.

Cedi tho...hoo boy, we've got something there
    DSnyder15

I really liked Sexton in summer league, but seeing him for a little last night raises a few concerns. He is really really small. A lot smaller than I realized when watching him over the last year.

I’m a lot less bullish on him than I was earlier. Really like Cedis game

K Irving       6' 1.75"   6' 4" wingspan
    C Sexton    6' 0.5"     6' 7.25" wingspan

Sexton is shorter that Irving but 3.25 inches longer.  Neither are great distributors.  Irving is one of the best one-on-one players in the league.  Irving is one of the more ball dominant players in the league.  Irving has a long history of weak to no defense.  Until he played with LeBron...he was never a winner and did not make players around him better. Sexton has the physical tools to play defense and has shown the mental discipline and toughness to play defense in college and summer league. I will take my chances with Sexton.  Hopefully Sexton's PG skills develop.

People want to trade Korver...I want him to stay.  He helped LeBron improve his shooting and I think he can help Sexton improve too.

I think the Cavs will be better than most expect because they will be better defensively and share the ball more with better ball movement.  One thing...JR needs to go.  He does not fit with where they want to go.

One last thing....we never have to worry about Sexton falling off the edge of the earth.
    mrgredhawk
    Cmon...  "Kyrie was never a winner until he played with LeBron."  Aren't you being extremely unfair to the guy who hit the game winning shot in game 7??

Please go back and look at the 2011-2014 Cleveland Cav rosters  (shoutout Luke Harangody).  There isn't a player in the history of the league who would've helped that team achieve a winning record.
     --------------

I think the Cavs will be fun to watch this year.  Looking forward to it. 
    Korver worked with Cedi this summer on his shot and you can tell already that it helped. The rotation is too huge right now and there are some square pegs that need to be moved but that will happen down the road. This should be a fun team though. 
    OMG how do you get killed in your home opener by the fucking Hawks?!?!?! 
  • Re6H5wk said:

Take the over.  40 wins and the 8 seed are in the Cavs future.  East is hot garbage beyond Boston, Philly, and Toronto (assuming a healthy Kawhi in a contract year). 
    This post has not aged well.
    Clarkson has to go.  The nest few weeks we will find out who is worth keeping.

Got to go:
     JR Smith
     Clarkson

Jury is out:
     Hood
     TThompson

Will be traded to contender:
     Hill
     Korver
    Clarkson is the only consistent scorer.

I tried to be optimistic that this team would compete for a playoff spot. I knew it was possible to be bad. But I was not expecting this to be the worst team in the league. Four games in and I agree that a fire sale has to happen even if it just means uncluttering the bench.