Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

MACtion

Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
edited November 2018 in Rogue Boosters
OU is destroying WMU tonight. Probably not a good omen for us.

Comments

• dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    They'll be overconfident and our vaulted defense will prevail.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Maybe they won’t throw the ball against us...that would help! LOL
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Last year's night game in Athens was similar to the Buffalo game last week.  We rallied in the third quarter and tied OU at 35, then lost 49-35.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Dick: you think we can beat OU?
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Cincykid3 said:

Sure, but can and will are two different things.  Even when we play well, we seem to find a way to lose every close game.  One team is used to winning, the other team is used to losing.  That is hard to overcome.  RedHawk 11 has said a couple of times on here that Chuck plays afraid, and I think that is correct.  It shows up over and over.  I do not really think that Ohio is blessed with superior talent, they just have confidence based on success and they believe in their system.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

Cincykid3 said:

Sure, but can and will are two different things.  Even when we play well, we seem to find a way to lose every close game.  One team is used to winning, the other team is used to losing.  That is hard to overcome.  RedHawk 11 has said a couple of times on here that Chuck plays afraid, and I think that is correct.  It shows up over and over.  I do not really think that Ohio is blessed with superior talent, they just have confidence based on success and they believe in their system.
    Exactly. Chuck is a dunce but he isn't the scum of the earth like our opponent.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2018
    In my mind, there is no way Chuck should be retained at this point. There are at least two paths to get to that conclusion.

1. He has recruited well and we have talent. We have equal or greater talent than most of our opponents, yet we still lose more often than not. This would mean Chuck is a horrid in game coach. He's been a head coach for a long time. He isn't going to get smarter. Why keep a coach who is so bad that he cancels out any advantage we have with our talent?

2. Chuck has done a good job getting the most out of his players. He coaches them up and they are always ready to play. We compete in almost every conference game, but sometimes we just don't have the talent to get it done. Why keep a coach who doesn't have adequate talent in year 5?

Whichever argument you make, neither of them justifies keeping this man. Personally, I think he's an alright recruiter and a bad in game coach. I would hope no one this board thinks he's doing a great job recruiting and is a good in game coach. Therefore, he should be fired. I don't see how anyone could justify keeping someone who either can't coach (and won't get any better) or is a bad recruiter...or both.
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2018
    http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/fball/index

meanwhile....ugh (10 years Bowl Eligible)....eff CM and Miami administration!!!.....been 10-plus years of crap football, less a blip or two season.
  • mz343mz343 Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

In my mind, there is no way Chuck should be retained at this point. There are at least two paths to get to that conclusion.

1. He has recruited well and we have talent. We have equal or greater talent than most of our opponents, yet we still lose more often than not. This would mean Chuck is a horrid in game coach. He's been a head coach for a long time. He isn't going to get smarter. Why keep a coach who is so bad that he cancels out any advantage we have with our talent?

2. Chuck has done a good job getting the most out of his players. He coaches them up and they are always ready to play. We compete in almost every conference game, but sometimes we just don't have the talent to get it done. Why keep a coach who doesn't have adequate talent in year 5?

Whichever argument you make, neither of them justifies keeping this man. Personally, I think he's an alright recruiter and a bad in game coach. I would hope no one this board thinks he's doing a great job recruiting and is a good in game coach. Therefore, he should be fired. I don't see how anyone could justify keeping someone who either can't coach (and won't get any better) or is a bad recruiter...or both.

I think #2 is the reason to fire him.  One can clearly see where we stand in the MAC pecking order.  NIU, Toledo, Western, Eastern, Buffalo, and OU are ahead of us.  We're on par with Akron?  So we're 7th or 8th best out of 12.  That is unacceptable.
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited November 2018
    Exactly...our program looks Akron-esque...in year 5 rebuild.

Looking at UB's steady rise, EMU to some extent and even UC who was 4-8 in back to back years and now has 9th ranked D and is winning, it just shows Martin is just not capable compared to competent coaching/leadership.
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
    skins said:

Looking at UB's steady rise, EMU to some extent and even UC who was 4-8 in back to back years and now has 9th ranked D and is winning, it just shows Martin is just not capable compared to competent coaching/leadership.

You saying Luke Fickell is competent?
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    It did not look like it in his year at OSU or his first year at UC, but Yeah, he is overachieving with this year's team.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    grumpy1 said:

skins said:

Everything is relative. In this case, compared to whom?
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
    skin66 said:

grumpy1 said:

skins said:

Everything is relative. In this case, compared to whom?
    I was being facetious. I know a number of people who think he sucks but in my opinion he’s doing a great job. His team is buying into what he’s selling and they are having success.