Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

MAC bowl games

Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
EMU makes nice comeback and were one play from winning (sound familiar?), and blow game by allowing GSU to rip off 29 yard run on 4th and 10 with a minute left in the game. Typical MAC bowl game: a heartbreaking loss.
JHVMUFBAlumNescacdad

Comments

• The MAC is 8-28 since 2011 and 1-11 over the past 3 seasons.
    redhawk11JHVMUFBAlum
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2018
    I know I'll get spammed for this, but I'd just as soon drop football and funnel the funds toward hoops a la Xavier, Butler, Gonzaga, etc. We're a mediocre football program in a garbage conference.
    Bash_RiprockAORedHawk33redbear18JHVMUFBAlumagcDICKNickskin
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

I know I'll get spammed for this, but I'd just as soon drop football and funnel the funds toward hoops a la Xavier, Butler, Gonzaga, etc. We're a mediocre football program in a garbage conference.

Yes, but hockey. Basketball is a dying sport.

AORedHawk33agcmoose
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

Better off dropping college hockey. The costs do not justify the means. Never have, never will.
    laxdaddy
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2018
    Gentlemen, please. We're going to drop all 3 of football, basketball, and hockey so we can focus on becoming a powerhouse in volleyball, field hockey, and esports.
    Re6H5wkmrgredhawkChiefPanicmoosethechuck_2112
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Re6H5wk said:

Better off dropping college hockey. The costs do not justify the means. Never have, never will.

I disagree with both takes, but especially that hockey isn't justified. 
    I think hockey is a great thing to have on campus. The hockey games have good attendance even after 3 bad years and the atmosphere at the games is great. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that hockey has the most student support in terms of attendance and ultimately when no sport is going to turn a profit, the goal should be to provide entertainment for students and alumni.

As food for thought: In 2017 football reported attendance of 98,666 but scanned just 35,582 tickets. Hockey reported attendance of 44,874. Without the need to manipulate the numbers to reach 15k, it's likely the number of tickets scanned versus reported for hockey is a lot closer and that total attendance for hockey is very near or even greater than total attendance for football.

Finally I would like to add my bad take to the thread: We should drop football plus some other sports and drop down to DII in every sport except for hockey so that we can invest wholeheartedly into making ourselves a powerhouse and the NCHC the Big East of college hockey. /s
    AORedHawk33JiveHawkDICK
    edited December 2018
    You realize that Miami only plays 6 home games in football right? (Only 5 home games this year)

Re6H5wk said:

I'd be ok with that, though to be fair I've never been a hockey fan.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2018
    Re6H5wk said:

I dont agree with your math and I dont think dropping football would make us better at basketball. The references you made were for colleges in Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Spokane. Find me the mid major comp with great basketball teams in the middle of nowhere. St Bonaventure maybe? Which their history isnt much better than Miami. I actually think football is a better niche for the MAC.
    DICK
  • You realize that Miami only plays 6 home games in football right? (Only 5 home games this year)

You should have been in Oxford in 1998. A total of 4 home games. Talk about a screw job.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/miami-oh/1998-schedule.html
  • ChiefPanicChiefPanic Off-Campus Slummer

You realize that Miami only plays 6 home games in football right? (Only 5 home games this year)

His point is that there is still more fan capacity in those 6 games than there is in the whole hockey season.

Also not in favor of dropping football ever. It’s the front door to college admissions. But I do enjoy top level FCS more than your typical MACtion Tuesday nights. Give me Montana vs NDSU over Kent @ Akron any day.

His point is that there is still more fan capacity in those 6 games than there is in the whole hockey season.
    I didn't have a specific point to be honest. It's more just something I found rather interesting and was tangentially related to the discussion. If a more direct comparison is wanted though, basketball had a reported attendance of 23,389 with average attendance of 1670 over 14 games versus hockey's 44,874 and 2,493 over 18.
    Iam4hawks
  • Here we go again. This has been debated in numerous other threads, how about go to one of those and get back to MAC bowl games like the thread title says
    Iam4hawksMooreHawk
    Redsea said:

Re6H5wk said:

I dont agree with your math and I dont think dropping football would make us better at basketball. The references you made were for colleges in Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Spokane. Find me the mid major comp with great basketball teams in the middle of nowhere. St Bonaventure maybe? Which their history isnt much better than Miami. I actually think football is a better niche for the MAC.
    I'm not sure what math you're referring to. I didn't do any.

And some schools without football teams (or without FBS teams) who have done well in basketball in the past 20 years AND aren't in big cities are St. Mary's, Bucknell, Vermont, and Montana. I'm sure there are others.
  • You realize that Miami only plays 6 home games in football right? (Only 5 home games this year)

Eh, it's quality versus quantity for me. Because of the Paul Brown game against UC we have a 2019 season where neither them nor OU come to Yager, if our schedule was against interesting opponents like them, The U (just went to Toledo), or some other big name it wouldn't be as big a deal. Likewise, seven games against programs like Tennessee Tech and Kent State satisfies very few potential fans.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

Redsea said:

Re6H5wk said:

And some schools without football teams (or without FBS teams) who have done well in basketball in the past 20 years AND aren't in big cities are St. Mary's, Bucknell, Vermont, and Montana. I'm sure there are others.
    If you're willing to give up football to become Bucknell, Vermont, or Montana......honestly, I only planned out the first part of that sentence.

AORedHawk33Re6H5wkthechuck_2112Bash_Riprock
    There are plenty of good mid-majors who support both football and basketball.

Western Michigan is really the only mid-major I can think that supports football, basketball, and hockey, who win consistently in one of the three.
    redhawk11 said:

Re6H5wk said:

Redsea said:

Re6H5wk said:

If you're willing to give up football to become Bucknell, Vermont, or Montana......honestly, I only planned out the first part of that sentence.

I know, I know. But seriously, look at how many NCAA Tournament appearances they all have since our last one.
    There are plenty of good mid-majors who support both football and basketball.

Western Michigan is really the only mid-major I can think that supports football, basketball, and hockey, who win consistently in one of the three.

College hockey is clustered into New England and the Midwest. Assuming that you are excluding teams that have all three sports but at the FCS level since there are teams like New Hampshire or Colgate that would fit that criteria, that would only leave only 7 teams that are G5 FBS teams and have ice hockey, 
    UMass, 
    BGSU, Miami, Air Force, Army, UConn and WMU. Depending on how you define "winning consistently" I think there are multiple that would fit that description. 
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    Totally stupid to drop hockey. Won't happen.
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    Regarding the bowl Camellia Bowl:

Did anyone notice two guys moving a green canvas with the Eastern Michigan "E"?  It seemed to follow the head coach.  What was the purpose for this?
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    killgas20 said:

Did anyone notice two guys moving a green canvas with the Eastern Michigan "E"?  It seemed to follow the head coach.  What was the purpose for this?
    I think it was to block signals from the press box so no signals could be stolen.
    killgas20
    mz343 said:

killgas20 said:

I think it was to block signals from the press box so no signals could be stolen.
    I hear Verlander offered to pay for it.
    mz343 said:

killgas20 said:

Generally isn't this the purpose of the signs with 4 random images on them as well?
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    Regarding student attendance for hockey games in comparison to football and basketball, that was largely the same deal back in the early-mid aughts. And I think it has less to do with fielding a competitive team (although that certainly helps), and more to do with location. Goggin is right in the heart of campus, literally across the street from several dorms, while Millett and Yager are out in the sticks comparatively.

Never underestimate laziness. It requires little effort to make it to a hockey game while basketball and football require either a Metro trip or a long walk for the vast majority of students.
    MHT_Meme_Teama26daveDICKAORedHawk33ChiefPanic
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    And to think that none of this would be an issue had EMU just won the Camellia Bowl.
    Quinoaburgerthechuck_2112MooreHawkAORedHawk33Love_and_HonorChiefPanic
  • And to think that none of this would be an issue had EMU just won the Camellia Bowl.

When the obituary is written for Miami football and/or Miami basketball and/or Miami hockey, let it be remembered that it was EMU failing to stop Shai Werts on fourth down that killed it/them.
    The_Sackman
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

And to think that none of this would be an issue had EMU just won the Camellia Bowl.

When the obituary is written for Miami football and/or Miami basketball and/or Miami hockey, let it be remembered that it was EMU failing to stop Shai Werts on fourth down that killed it/them.
    I also wouldn't rule out Duquesne hoops.
    Bash_RiprockAORedHawk33profholt82ChiefPanic
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

Also not in favor of dropping football ever. It’s the front door to college admissions. But I do enjoy top level FCS more than your typical MACtion Tuesday nights. Give me Montana vs NDSU over Kent @ Akron any day.
    Montana and North Dakota State are the biggest game around for hundreds of miles. No FBS schools, no NFL teams. We are competing in an area where FCS would receive no attention at all.  Think of the excitement you feel for YSU vs Indiana State or Southern Illinois.  Around here you will get no attention unless you are competing at the top level. like Miami football in 2003 or Miami basketball in 1999 or Miami hockey in an 8 year streak of NCAA tournament teams and most of those years we were ranked #1 for at least a week, sometimes for several weeks at a time.
    JCook32ChiefPanicChrisW1980
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum

The MAC is 8-28 since 2011 and 1-11 over the past 3 seasons.

=>This is a direct result of the arbitrary rule that must be 6-6 or better to be bowl eligible.  There are MANY teams below .500 that are much better than MAC teams with 6-6, 7-5, and 8-4 records.

For example, there are 78 available bowl spots.  Per Sagarin rankings, only #62 Ohio, #74 Toledo, and #75 NIU are top 78 teams (and just barely).  Meanwhile, there are 12 below .500 teams that are in the top 78.  Most of those ranked ahead of every MAC team.

MAC has been the primary beneficiary of the bowl eligible rule as undeserving teams with weak schedules get to play 1 extra game.