Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2 Years Ago

yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
edited December 2018 in Football
It's been exactly 2 years since the St. Pete Bowl.

If I posted after that game that we would go 11-13 with 0 bowl or MAC championship appearances over the next 2 season (which, at the time, were to be the last 2 on CM's contract), would anyone really think that would be acceptable OR that CM would still be our coach in 2019?
AORedHawk33redhawk11thechuck_2112Love_and_Honoraba222Miamitexx

Comments

• AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    But.. but.. our recruiting class is really good!!!
    BlackbirdMiamitexx
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

If I posted after that game that we would go 11-13 with 0 bowl or MAC championships over the next 2 season (which, at the time, were to be the last 2 on CM's contract), would anyone really think that would be acceptable OR that CM would still be our coach in 2019?

Alex: I respect your views but, at Miami, unlike many other, but not all, schools, it all gets down to MONEY. Canning CM and his staff would have upped our cash needs by pretty close to a million bucks a year to replace them with "going rate G5 coaches"....dollars which we do not have....so we take the only way out---extend CM and pray for better results.

redhawk11agc
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Renmanco said:

yanksalex said:

If I posted after that game that we would go 11-13 with 0 bowl or MAC championships over the next 2 season (which, at the time, were to be the last 2 on CM's contract), would anyone really think that would be acceptable OR that CM would still be our coach in 2019?

Alex: I respect your views but, at Miami, unlike many other, but not all, schools, it all gets down to MONEY. Canning CM and his staff would have upped our cash needs by pretty close to a million bucks a year to replace them with "going rate G5 coaches"....dollars which we do not have....so we take the only way out---extend CM and pray for better results.

So is CM going to be our coach forever as long as he agrees to take $522,300/season?
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Renmanco said:

yanksalex said:

So is CM going to be our coach forever as long as he agrees to take $522,300/season?
    That's right! You better quit complaining. Miami isn't good. DEAL WITH IT! Go to the games and HAVE FUN (losing). It's part of the Miami charm.

agc
  • Renmanco said:

yanksalex said:

It would have been more cost effective to let him go this year instead of next.
    redhawk11yanksalexLove_and_Honor
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Never Forget-  We had a donor who was willing to fly the team to Louisiana-Monroe for a faux-bowl game.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Faux Bowlini
    redhawk11 said:

Faux Bowlini

Dude, you've watched too much Cheez-It Bowl.
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly

Renmanco said:

yanksalex said:

It would have been more cost effective to let him go this year instead of next.
    Why do people keep saying this? What am I missing? I am only using $250k per year differential for new coaches. If you use $1 million differential the extra cost skyrockets from $250k to $1million making the change this year. 

Buyout this year---1 year pay  ($500k) + differential with new coach and staff (est $250k per year x 2 years). $ 1 million

Buyout after next year- 1 year pay ($500k) + differential (est. $250k for one year) $750k
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Coaching salaries for both head coaches and assistants continue to rise, in many G5 level cases, at rates faster than the offsetting income generation from ticket and merchandise sales, TV contracts, P5 beat down payments, etc.

• IndyHawkFanIndyHawkFan Summer Orientee
    ... a friend of mine
    Asked me to say some MC rhymes
    So I said this rhyme I'm about to say
    The rhyme was Def and it went this way
    agc
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    We could be Purdue and paying 20 million or more for a .500 record.

• Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    I would guess that Purdue’s split of the B10 revenue “pie” more than compensates them.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    bpat said:

Purdue has a solid foundation to continue to improve. That was the best Purdue team in a long time and you can see a clear vision and push to even better things. They're not the Boilmakers of old just floundering to a losing record.
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    JiveHawk said:

bpat said:

Purdue has a solid foundation to continue to improve. That was the best Purdue team in a long time and you can see a clear vision and push to even better things. They're not the Boilmakers of old just floundering to a losing record.
    Oh I agree, they are supposed to have a strong class next year, but on the surface they had to up the bill 2 mill and they are at .500 to show for it, and they also have to be a little worried the coach will bolt. Probably make a similar argument for Iowa too. They pay Ferentz a ton of money for the occasional very good season and then settle for mostly good seasons. What I was trying to say, and I guess not very well, was other people pay a ton of money and get results that they don't like too.
  • HawksGrad18HawksGrad18 Summer Orientee
    bpat said:

Purdue under Hazel was one of the worst teams in CFB.  Up there with Miami.  Brohm had offers from Louisville this year and Tennessee and Arkansas last year.  Had to pay the man.  Rondale is the truth.
    bpat said:

JiveHawk said:

bpat said:

Oh I agree, they are supposed to have a strong class next year, but on the surface they had to up the bill 2 mill and they are at .500 to show for it, and they also have to be a little worried the coach will bolt. Probably make a similar argument for Iowa too. They pay Ferentz a ton of money for the occasional very good season and then settle for mostly good seasons. What I was trying to say, and I guess not very well, was other people pay a ton of money and get results that they don't like too.
    What I would give for mostly good seasons.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    bpat said:

JiveHawk said:

bpat said:

Iowa has five top-10 finishes this century.  Coral Gables, Nebraska, Notre Dame, and Tennessee, combined, have six.  Ferentz is worth every dollar they're paying him.
    Re6H5wkProfessor_Fate