Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

SB Nation 2019 Miami preview

Available here: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/2/15/18218577/miami-ohio-football-2019-preview-schedule-roster

Short version: the team really is much, much better than when Chuck Martin took over, but there is a glaring problem with game management that's reflected in the W-L column.

"Martin’s program-building strengths have been strong enough to put his in-game weaknesses in the spotlight. Despite Miami’s obvious gains, the Redhawks are just 17-23 the last three seasons, and with just a .500 record in close games, they’d be at something closer to seven wins a year with three bowl bids."

Comments

• The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Bill Connelly is about to get blocked on Twitter.
    DevilGradBash_Riprock
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    I thought it was a good preview, sound analysis throughout.  I would only disagree with the assumption the passing game will continue to consist of conservative play calls.  Hopefully, a well-rounded QB emerges that can diversify the passing game.  Hendrix threw mainly deep balls because that played to his and the team's strength.  The offense was designed around playing up Ragland strengths.  I think the same will be done for whoever wins the QB battle.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Last 3 years we were 6-7, 5-7, 6-6. that adds up to 17-20, not 17-23.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    I think Connelly's write up was both excellent and fair.

Right now, with a wide open scramble to find a QB and, having just lost our ST coach, I'd take 6-6 and call it a day. Still, we have to play the games and 1-3 to start the season will have us in our customary hole after one month. From there, we have to do better than break even in the conference to have a bowl shot....so 3-3 may be the money play and we'd be looking at 5-7...and another "oh, so close but no cigar" type of season.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Our OOC is 1-3, tough to not start 2-2 and go into the MAC with a rookie QB
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    I think these SB Nation writeups for most teams have been pretty good. And I can't think of to many of us who wouldn't agree game/time management has been a bit of an issue. 
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

I think these SB Nation writeups for most teams have been pretty good. And I can't think of to many of us who wouldn't agree game/time management has been a bit of an issue. 

I’ll think that over and get back to you.
    redhawk11DICK