Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

@ Miami-FL in 2023

MooreHawkMooreHawk Off-Campus Slummer

1.5 million guarantee

We'll also host Long Island in 2021 paying them 300k.

Comments

• LIU is the process of moving up from DII to FCS so you know they'll be a challenge!!!! That year we've got road games against Army, Minnesota, and UC so we need an easy win.

It's nice that most of our buy games are in Big Ten territory for the sake of travelling, but having them in more exotic southern locations isn't a bad idea. Not to mention the Miami vs. Miami showdown that'll go with it.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    LIU is a D2 program that's moving to FCS starting with the 2019 season. They're joining the NEC, which only allows members to offer 45 scholarships instead of the normal FCS limit of 63. That's a game that any FBS team with a pulse should win by 40 or 50+.
  • greggie76greggie76 Havighurstite
    Is the first time we have face the u in any sports
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    No, we are 0-3 vs the 'Canes in football, the last time we played them in 1985 they were #1.  Also, in the 90's I personally attended an overtime win by Miami basketball over Miami F in a game played in Palm Beach.  I think David Scott had like 38 points or some sort of huge game.
  • agcagc Havighurstite
    "In the previous matchup, the Hurricanes demolished the Redskins (team name switched to RedHawks in 1999), 54-3, in front of 40,000" ... I love the money we will make, but less so the potential national embarrassment (think about CM wrongly calling a timeoutand all the we-are-the-true-Miami jokes. I truly hope we will have a competitive team by 2023 ...
    Redskin89
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    edited February 19
    Pretty sure that 54-3 beat down by the then No. 3 Hurricanes was in 1987.

• profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    Toledo just did a home and home with these guys.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Toledo is only paying $300,000. Miami had no choice at the time game was scheduled. Combination of cash and scheduling issues.
    agc
  • DICK said:

No, we are 0-3 vs the 'Canes in football, the last time we played them in 1985 they were #1.  Also, in the 90's I personally attended an overtime win by Miami basketball over Miami F in a game played in Palm Beach.  I think David Scott had like 38 points or some sort of huge game.

Miami Hawk Talker JT and I went to the game in the Orange Bowl on November 7, 1987.  Our Miami lost 54-3.  They were the National Champions that year and were coached by Jimmy Johnson and had a guy named Michael Irvin as their star receiver-he scored a touchdown in that game.  Gary Gussman kicked a field goal and we lost, 54-3.  However, after the game, JT yelled to the Miami fan bus, 'We might have lost, but NOBODY shuts out the Skins!'  The bus erupted into a big cheer.  Turns out Notre Dame played them that same year and got shut out, so we were at least better that way.

redhawk11Bash_RiprockDICK
    Semi-meaningless trivia - Gussman was a 2nd (maybe third) team All American in 1987 as a placekicker. That same year, a father of a future Miami RedHawk was named 1st-Team All-American at his position.
    edited February 19
    imageimage
    Sorry. Not sure how to make pic smaller. And yes, QB was NOT the position!
    agc
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    edited February 19

That was a weird confluence of former coworkers doing each other favors (when the game was scheduled, Toledo's then-AD and Miami's then-AD had been on some other staff together, I forget where) and Miami's subsequent inability to afford to buy out the game at Toledo (UT agreed to postpone its home game at Miami's request, but in exchange, the penalty went from $300K to $1.5 million).
    profholt82
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum

That was a weird confluence of former coworkers doing each other favors (when the game was scheduled, Toledo's then-AD and Miami's then-AD had been on some other staff together, I forget where) and Miami's subsequent inability to afford to buy out the game at Toledo (UT agreed to postpone its home game at Miami's request, but in exchange, the penalty went from $300K to $1.5 million).
    Yes, I recall reading about the details back when the game was scheduled. I'll tell you though, Toledo has had a knack for scheduling P5 opponents at home over the years. I can recall more than a few Big Ten and Big 12 teams playing in the Glass Bowl over the past 20 years or so. And that's during different AD tenors. I think the urban setting helps, as they tend to draw rather well even during lean years. $300K does seem like a chicken feed amount nowadays though.

Regarding the Miami v Coral Gables matchup, I love this site (winsipedia) which compares the statistical history between teams. Here's the breakdown:

http://www.winsipedia.com/miami-oh/vs/miami-fl
  • I was at the game as well. We had stuff thrown at us from the upper deck. Mark Cristell who does most of the physical therapy for the team now was named defensive lineman of the game for us. A long day for the real Miami. Still, I might consider another road trip.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

DICK said:

Miami Hawk Talker JT and I went to the game in the Orange Bowl on November 7, 1987.  Our Miami lost 54-3.  They were the National Champions that year and were coached by Jimmy Johnson and had a guy named Michael Irvin as their star receiver-he scored a touchdown in that game.  Gary Gussman kicked a field goal and we lost, 54-3.  However, after the game, JT yelled to the Miami fan bus, 'We might have lost, but NOBODY shuts out the Skins!'  The bus erupted into a big cheer.  Turns out Notre Dame played them that same year and got shut out, so we were at least better that way.

I was just guessing when I said 1985.  In 1987 we also played at Syracuse, the significance being Miami F and Syracuse were the only 2 undefeated teams and were ranked 1-2.  We did much better at Syracuse, a game I attended, I think we lost 24-10, without looking it up.
    ChrisW1980