Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

I Miss Chuck Martin

IdiotfanIdiotfan Summer Orientee
He might not miss idiot fans like me, but at least his teams compete.

Comments

• Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Last season's games against UC, Minnesota, and the start of Marshall beg to differ.
    Idiotfan
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    0-19 vs. FBS OOC opponents under him, but ok.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    edited March 12

Last season's games against UC, Minnesota, and the start of Marshall beg to differ.

Yeah, not in September. You really are an idiot fan and media.
    redhawk11AORedHawk33MHT_Meme_TeamLove_and_Honor
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    At 6-6 Martin is the coach of Miami's best men's sports team.
    AORedHawk33
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    rexjack53 said:

Don't tell Hollie Bonewit-Cron or Tom Chorny that...
    edited March 12
    rexjack53 said:

I think this is still debatable. Yes, football played much better at the end of the season than hoops, but overall I think they're comparable. Once again, the football team failed to win an OOC game, and while the OU and NIU wins were impressive, the combined record of our six MAC wins was 30-45. Basketball' s Sagarin rating is 154 out of 353 D1 teams. Football 85th out of 129. That said, I'm disappointed with both right now.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

rexjack53 said:

Or Danny Hayden
  • IdiotfanIdiotfan Summer Orientee
    Or the coach of the Miami e-sports team
    Bash_Riprockredhawk11JCook32
    Spanks004 said:

rexjack53 said:

I would literally need to Google their names.
    AORedHawk33
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

Spanks004 said:

rexjack53 said:

I understand you would, but let's not discriminate against smaller sports just because you have to google their names. The Miami men's swim and dive team won their first MAC championship since 2006, and the cross country team upset EMU to win their champ
    Bash_RiprockNescacdad
    Spanks004 said:

Re6H5wk said:

Spanks004 said:

rexjack53 said:

I understand you would, but let's not discriminate against smaller sports just because you have to google their names. The Miami men's swim and dive team won their first MAC championship since 2006, and the cross country team upset EMU to win their champ
    I actually knew about the swimming and diving team, but I never could have told you their coach's name. I'm happy for them and proud of their achievement, but honestly it's hard to get excited about. They deserve praise, but at the end of the day, this means very little on a national scale. Though perhaps it's unfair to gauge all sports based on their national perception.
    Idiotfan
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    rexjack53 said:

Baseball is 11-3, has won 8 in a row, and finished second in the conference last season, but whatever.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

rexjack53 said:

Baseball is 11-3, has won 8 in a row, and finished second in the conference last season, but whatever.
    And that coach was hired on the same basis as Felicity Huffman's kid was admitted to college. 
    The_Sackmanredhawk11AORedHawk33Spanks004Re6H5wkQuinoaburgerhawkattack06Love_and_Honor
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

On the other hand, 6-2 in the MAC and beat OU.
    DICK said:

Re6H5wk said:

On the other hand, 6-2 in the MAC and beat OU.
    I addressed this in another thread. OU and NIU were good wins. No postseason for either Miami team, though.
    dave67
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    So, I didn't think Martín was that tall. 6-6, huh?
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    yanksalex said:

rexjack53 said:

And that coach was hired on the same basis as Felicity Huffman's kid was admitted to college. 
    Yes he was. But he appears to be doing a good job. Certainly better than our other coaches.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    19goSkins said:

yanksalex said:

rexjack53 said:

Yes he was. But he appears to be doing a good job. Certainly better than our other coaches.
    Correct. My point is maybe our whole philosophy on hiring coaches is fucked. The guy who gets a job because daddy wrote a check is crushing it. The results of extensive, expensive searches can't win an out of conference game or lose by TWENTY NINE POINTS to Akron in the MAC tournament.
  • aba222aba222 Havighurstite
    Spanks004 said:

Re6H5wk said:

Spanks004 said:

rexjack53 said:

...”the cross country team upset EMU to win their champ”
    Yes, but they’ve been very so-so. Place this year 3rd, 5th, 5th, 1st, 12th, 14th... 9th at NCAA Regional, and not one person to the NCAA indoor championships (Akron, BG, and Cent Mich sent folks).
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    There’s an indoor cross country team?

What do you think that track in Millett was for? ;)
    dave67thechuck_2112
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    Isn't there a very good reason why the men's team doesn't have any results from the indoor season?  
    thechuck_2112Bash_Riprock
    For those of you who don't recall, indoor track is no longer an official men's sport at Miami.  In fact, only five MAC schools still field men's teams.  You will see a handful of results for Miami men's track and field athletes from the indoor season, but I believe those are from "open" invitationals where they can participate as a club team.  They don't compete for the conference title and aren't eligible for the NCAA indoor championships.  

• skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

What do you think that track in Millett was for? ;)

What can't Millet do for you?
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    edited March 12
    DevilGrad said:

For those of you who don't recall, indoor track is no longer an official men's sport at Miami.  In fact, only five MAC schools still field men's teams.  You will see a handful of results for Miami men's track and field athletes from the indoor season, but I believe those are from "open" invitationals where they can participate as a club team.  They don't compete for the conference title and aren't eligible for the NCAA indoor championships.  

Now’s Miami’s chance to get rid of the Millett track once and for all. Ship it up the the University of Akron to replace the one that’s broken.

Our runners need some place to train, and it's a lot safer than the old "track" in Van Voorhis Hall.  For those of you under 50, the original Miami gym (pre-Withrow!) had a wooden track suspended from the ceiling that ran around the perimeter of the gym.  I actually ran on that thing once before they tore the building down.