Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Best Ever Year in Miami Men’s Sports

richiebrichieb Havighurstite
Here is my question. This year in Miami men’s sports was about the same as the last 10 or 15. I graduated in 1989, and I wonder, was there ever a year when football, baseball, basketball and hockey all had winning seasons? I know hockey was slow to get onboard. So,was there ever a year when 3 of the 4 ruled over the MAC, cause after the last many years I am starting to think it will never happen again?

Comments

• D_DayD_Day Senior Barfly
    I dug out my old spreadsheet and there are multiple years with all 3 men's revenue sports having winning seasons.

The best year was Big Ben's last season school year 2003 - 2004

Football 13 - 1

Basketball 18 - 11

Hockey 23 - 14 - 4
    Re6H5wkagc
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Spreadsheet? YGTBSM ;D
    agc
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    dave67 said:

Spreadsheet? YGTBSM ;D

D_Day was the moll of his time.
    Re6H5wkTruckCrewagc
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    98 Football 10-1
    98-99 Basketball Sweet 16
    Don't know what hockey did that year.
    TruckCrew
    I should add that the 98 football squad beat UC 41-0 and got a scalp at ranked North Carolina. Good times.
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum

98 Football 10-1

=>And it doesn't matter.

AORedHawk33JCook32
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum

98 Football 10-1

That was one of the first years to come to my mind. I was an intern in the athletic department. It was amazing.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

98 Football 10-1

I think hockey was 10-20 and something. They were bad.
  • D_DayD_Day Senior Barfly

98 Football 10-1

Hockey was 11 - 20 - 5
    Professor_Fate
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    The best year was 1989-90 when teams captained by JohnnyMac won both the Intramural softball championship and the “5-10 and Undet” Intramural basketball championship.
    Bash_Riprockgrumpy1ChrisW1980Re6H5wk
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    how about in the 70s when football and basketball were both good? I have to look but some here may know without research.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    edited March 26
    The thread originally asked for the best year since we also had hockey, but yes, Miami football and b-ball was great throughout the 70’s. In 77-78, football team was 10-1 and MAC champs and hoops team also were MAC champs upset defending champion Marquette in the first round of the NCAA’s and was ranked 19th in one season sending poll.

Back when we had three straight years of football ranked in the top 20 (73, 74 and 75) we also had excellent hoops teams and one or two would’ve been a strong NCAA tournament candidate had there been a 64 team field then. We played an outstanding OOC schedule in hoops and had our fair share of Q1 wins against XU and Dayton, etc.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    On a personal note, 2007 was the best year for ME:

-Indians won their first division title in 6 years and came within a win of going to the WS.

-Miami hoops won the MAC tournament and nearly knocked off 3 seed Oregon.

-Miami football made the MACC (though they got destroyed by CMU).
    Re6H5wk said:

On a personal note, 2007 was the best year for ME:

-Indians won their first division title in 6 years and came within a win of going to the WS.

-Miami hoops won the MAC tournament and nearly knocked off 3 seed Oregon.

-Miami football made the MACC (though they got destroyed by CMU).

Yeah, but I got married that year, so....
    I mean, yeah, best year ever! ;p
    Re6H5wkDICKAORedHawk33
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    I understand the Mollautt computer is working hard on this and should have a comprehensive analysis soon, including all the reasons why Miami should be elevated to the SEC!  ;D
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

I understand the Mollautt computer is working hard on this and should have a comprehensive analysis soon, including all the reasons why Miami should be elevated to the SEC!  ;D

Will that agree with D-Day's spreadsheet?
  • MacCrackenMacCracken Havighurstite

98 Football 10-1

My senior year.  I remember people liking the craziness of hockey games, but not hearing much about Ws vs Ls.