Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Patrick Flavin

After a remarkable career on the Miami golf team, Patrick turned pro and is competing on the PGA Latin America tour. Even as an avid golf fan, I knew very little about the PGALA. Turns out it's essentially the AA tour for pro golf. If he performs well enough (top 5 on the money list), it will go a long way towards earning him a spot on the Web.com tour (AAA). Obviously from there he can try to earn his PGA tour card.

Yesterday he took a big step towards that by winning a Match play event in Mexico. The win moved him from number 58, to number 9 on the money list. Below is an article recapping the victory. Best of luck to Patrick. Would love to see a Miami guy on the tour.

https://www.pgatour.com/la/en/news/2019/06/02/flavin-finishes-dream-week-to-win-bupa-match-play-.html
killgas20redhawk11MHT_Meme_Teamagc

Comments

• MHT_Meme_TeamMHT_Meme_Team Havighurstite
    +$30K. not a bad day on the golf course
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum

+$30K. not a bad day on the golf course

It has to feel like $300k for Patrick or any other guy on that tour. Those lower level tours are a grind, especially playing outside of the US full time. The costs add up in a hurry. Interesting that the PGALA takes a 3 month hiatus during the summer. I would assume due to heat.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    edited June 2019
    I believe, but could be wrong, the top 5 at the end of the fall events on Latino America get full status on the Web. I would think that Patrick will head up to Canada to try and get some starts on the Canadian Tour this summer.
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Senior Barfly
    Patrick continued his strong play yesterday by Monday Qualifying into the web.com event in Springfield, IL. He shot 69 (-3) and then survived a 5 for 3 playoff. This will be his web.com Tour debut. A top 25 finish this week will get him into next week’s event in Wichita.
    Spanks004MUHawk84Redhawks16thechuck_2112dudis41dave67agc
    Opened with 71 (Even) today. Currently T-40th.
    70 (-1) today and currently tied for 29th. Top 65 make the cut, so Patrick will be playing the weekend in his first web start. Very impressive.

Interesting scorecards as he bogied his first two holes in both rounds, but also birdied his last two holes in both rounds. Outstanding mental toughness to not let a bad start affect him.
    killgas20dave67
    edited June 2019
    A pair of 69’s on the weekend, but unfortunately the rest of the field averaged about 68. Finished tied for 49th. Welcome to the web.com tour, where scores tend to get crazy low. Still a solid week for Flavin.
    agcAORedHawk33
    Flavin finished 3rd (11 under) at the PGA Latin America tour championship yesterday and finished 6th on the money list for the season. Unfortunately, only the top 5 on the money list earn Korn Ferry Tour (KFT) status for next year. The KFT (formerly web.com tour) is golf’s equivalent to AAA baseball.

Flavin has another chance this week at the KFT Q school in Orlando.
    redhawk11
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2019
    Congrats to Patrick and hopefully he can work his way up to the PGA tour someday.

Thread reminds of how Miami had a very good golf team over the years...not sure who would have been our best golfer ever but Bob Lohr comes to mind, partly because he is a contemporary of mine and hailed from Milford, OH right next to Terrace Park where I grew up.

Bob tied for first in three PGA events and won his one and only title in a playoff in the Disney Classic in 1988. He was all MAC three times and honorable mention All American his senior year at Miami.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    There was another very good golfer from Vandalia. Can't recall his name.
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Havighurstite
    EDDIE said:

There was another very good golfer from Vandalia. Can't recall his name.

Brian Fogt is the person to whom I think you are referring, Eddie.
    EDDIE
    Looks like Brian currently has the coveted job of Head Pro at esteemed Bellerive CC. He played a few PGA events in the mid to late 80’s....looks like he was a qualifier or sponsor’s exemption as he did play enough to seemingly have his PGA tour card. Best finish I saw was an 8th at Western Open in 1988.
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Havighurstite
    Cincykid3 said:

Looks like Brian currently has the coveted job of Head Pro at esteemed Bellerive CC. He played a few PGA events in the mid to late 80’s....looks like he was a qualifier or sponsor’s exemption as he did play enough to seemingly have his PGA tour card. Best finish I saw was an 8th at Western Open in 1988.

Brian had the distinction of being the first golfer to tee off in the US Open one year.  Might have been at Pebble Beach.  He certainly has had a good career in the sport.

• FormerTownieFormerTownie Summer Orientee
    I bumped into Brian Ohr's dad the other day here in Chicago, and he told me that Brian is also trying to get onto the PGA Latin American tour w/ Patrick.  Good luck to him!

And speaking of Miami alums with sweet club pro gigs, Cary Sciorra ('86) is the head pro at The Medalist Club in Jupiter, FL.  That's the course where many of the PGA tour pros who live in Florida are members (Tiger, Dustin, Rickie, Rory, Brooks, etc.).  Cary was previously head pro at The Robert Trent Jones Golf Club in Northern Virginia.
  • MowchMowch Senior Barfly

I bumped into Brian Ohr's dad the other day here in Chicago, and he told me that Brian is also trying to get onto the PGA Latin American tour w/ Patrick.  Good luck to him!

And speaking of Miami alums with sweet club pro gigs, Cary Sciorra ('86) is the head pro at The Medalist Club in Jupiter, FL.  That's the course where many of the PGA tour pros who live in Florida are members (Tiger, Dustin, Rickie, Rory, Brooks, etc.).  Cary was previously head pro at The Robert Trent Jones Golf Club in Northern Virginia.

Cary is a great guy. He was in my freshman dorm and we played a lot of hoops together at Withrow. Bake had him on during a basketball broadcast from the Virginia area many years ago. One correction, he is an ‘89 grad.

Other notable Miami golfers: Kyle Voska and Brad Adamonis (who both had PGA Tour appearances), and Sean Gorgone, who could possibly be the most gifted of all the golfers mentioned.
    edited December 2019
    Some interesting insights, which sent me down a Miami golf rabbit hole.  Here is my opinion on the top golfers in Miami history:

First Team

1) Kyle Voska (1998) - 3x All MAC, 1x MAC Champ, 2x All American (2nd, HM), 1x Miami Athlete of the Year.  Finished 11th at 1998 NCAA Finals and 14th at 1996 NCAA Finals.  4th in career scoring average.  5th in career wins (3).  Best single season stroke average in school history by 1.41 strokes (71.20 average in 1998) and is only Miamian to ever be named 2nd Team All American.  1 career PGA Tour start.

2) Bob Lohr (1983) - 3x All MAC and 1x All American HM.  Most successful pro career, by far.  Played the tour for 12 years.  Only Miamian to ever win a PGA Tour event and play in the Masters.  Evans Scholar.

3) Patrick Flavin (2018) - 4x All MAC, 4x NCAA qualifier, 3x All Region, 2x Miami Athlete of the Year.  Lowest scoring average in Miami history and most wins (8).  Promising future pro career.

4) Sean Gorgone (1991) - 4x All MAC, 2x MAC Champ, 2x All American HM, 1x Miami Athlete of the Year.  Finished 2nd at 1990 NCAA Regionals and 14th at 1990 NCAA Finals.  8th in career scoring average.  4th in career wins (5).  1 career PGA Tour start and made cut.

5) Mark Brewer (1987) - 4x All MAC, 2x MAC Champ, 2x All American HM, 1x Miami Athlete of the Year.  Finished 18th at 1985 NCAA Finals.  9th in career scoring average.  4th in career wins ( 6).  1 career PGA Tour start.

Brewer and Gorgone had nearly identical careers statistically and were part of a run of 6 straight MAC team titles.

Second Team
    Brad Adamonis (1996) - 1x All MAC.  2nd best pro career in school history.  Finished 2nd at the John Deere.
    Maarten van den Berg (1997) - 4x All MAC, 2x MAC Champ.  7 career wins.
    Mike Pero (1989) - 3x All MAC, 1x All American HM.  Finished 13th at 1989 NCAA Finals.  4 PGA Tour starts.
    Brian Fogt (1981) - 3x All MAC, 1x All American HM.  19 PGA Tour starts, including a top 10 at the Western.
    Bill Schumaker (1972) - 3x All MAC, 1x All American HM. 7 PGA Tour starts.

Note: While scoring average was a factor in these rankings, the improvement in golf technology since 2000 (introduction of the proV1) had to be taken into account.
    MowchChrisW1980Nescacdad
    Thanks Hawkattack...great summary!
    Nescacdad
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    That is quite a rabbit hole, Hawkattack. 

One name you left off this thread is Jim Muething from the early 1980's. Jim won the Ohio Amateur in 1984 He also won the MAC Championship in 1984. Also won the Cincinnati Met Amateur in 1983 and 1984.

He went on to be the head pro at both Robert Trent Jones Golf Club in Virginia and historic Merion Golf Club in Philadelphia,

More significantly, he left golf and got into the business world about 20 years and used his Miami business degree to become one of the top executives with Great American Insurance Group in Cincinnati.

Still plays great golf. Won the Cincinnati Senior Met Amateur in 2016.
    dave67
    Thx Lax as a long time Cincinnatian I am surprised I forgot about Jim. I used to pay attention to golf not because I was much of a player but because my younger brother lettered at Ball State and was a contemporary and competitor of Miami and Lohr’s when he played in college.
    laxdaddy said:

One name you left off this thread is Jim Muething from the early 1980's. Jim won the Ohio Amateur in 1984 He also won the MAC Championship in 1984. Also won the Cincinnati Met Amateur in 1983 and 1984.

He went on to be the head pro at both Robert Trent Jones Golf Club in Virginia and historic Merion Golf Club in Philadelphia,

More significantly, he left golf and got into the business world about 20 years and used his Miami business degree to become one of the top executives with Great American Insurance Group in Cincinnati.

I had seen Muething's name pop up in the Met results recently and was surprised he was playing amateur events again.  Remarkable that he went from the head pro at Merion to a business executive at Great American.

I actually had Jim on my list initially, but he was bumped by Schumaker.  Miami golf has a storied history, including 12 different All Americans.  I left Dave DeRosa off the list and he was 2x All American.  Other names under consideration were Chris Roderick, Mark Chapleski, Nate Sutherland, Mark Weghorst, Eric Phipps and Jeff Junk.  

Another interesting name was Herm Keiser Jr, who was the 1968 MAC champ, and the son of the 1946 Masters champion.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

laxdaddy said:

I had seen Muething's name pop up in the Met results recently and was surprised he was playing amateur events again.  Remarkable that he went from the head pro at Merion to a business executive at Great American.

I actually had Jim on my list initially, but he was bumped by Schumaker.  Miami golf has a storied history, including 12 different All Americans.  I left Dave DeRosa off the list and he was 2x All American.  Other names under consideration were Chris Roderick, Mark Chapleski, Nate Sutherland, Mark Weghorst, Eric Phipps and Jeff Junk.  

Another interesting name was Herm Keiser Jr, who was the 1968 MAC champ, and the son of the 1946 Masters champion.
    Did Herm have a January birthday?

Flavin shot -7 last week and finished T-76th in Orlando at the KFT Q school finals. Unfortunately, only the top 40 are guaranteed starts for the 2020 season. He will likely be heading back to the Latin America tour, which begins March 2nd in Mexico.

https://www.pgatour.com/korn-ferry-tour/tournaments/korn-ferry-tour-qualifying-tournament/leaderboard.html

Other notables include:
    Chase Johnson (-5, T-92nd) - 2018 Kent State grad
    Daniel Wetterich (-5, T-92nd) - Cincy native and 2019 OSU grad
    Will Grimmer (-3, T-105th) - Cincy native and 2019 OSU grad
    Brad Adamonis (+3, T-143rd) - 1996 Miami grad
  • Mark Brewer lived in my Stanton Hall corridor (2-Central). He was a year older than the rest of us (back then the beer drinking age was 19), so he was our go-to-guy for beer purchases. 
    Breaking News: Patrick Flavin has Monday qualified into the Waste Management Phoenix Open! He shot 67 to finish tied for 2nd and then birdied the first playoff hole to get through. Exciting opportunity for him and he will be making his PGA Tour debut at the highest attended tournament of the year.

https://swpga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/swpga21/event/swpga219/contest/1/leaderboard.htm
    Mowchredhawk11Professor_Fateredhawkup
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Great news! He better hit the green on 16!!
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    +3 after nine.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    edited January 30
    Finished +3, tied with Rickie Fowler amongst others.
    Off to a good start this morning, 2 under thru 3. Needs to shoot 67 or 68 today to make the cut.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    +1 for the tournament with 5 holes to play. Projected cut is at even par right. If he could get two more birdies on the way in I think he'd be feeling pretty good. One more par 5 left.
    Wild round with 6 birdies, 6 pars, 6 bogies. Even par 71. Found the water 3 times. He’ll miss the cut, but not a bad showing for his PGA Tour debut in front of around 100,000 fans each day.